No announcement yet.

About Barrera and Morales

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Barrera and Morales

1. Who was more popular in Mexico, Marco or Erik?
    2. Unlike the rivalry between Morales-Pacquiao or Pacquiao-JMM, Erik and Marco seems to really hate each other on a personal level. How did that started?

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
    1. Who was more popular in Mexico, Marco or Erik?
    2. Unlike the rivalry between Morales-Pacquiao or Pacquiao-JMM, Erik and Marco seems to really hate each other on a personal level. How did that started?
    I'm not Mexican so I'm only speculating, but Morales is from Tijuana while Barrera is from Mexico City. Those cities aren't even close to each other so popularity is likely regional when they are fighting each other.

Both fighters seem to have big egos and are on the cranky side (especially Erik) which is why their personalities clash.
    My guess about the animosity would be that both of them were convinced they won their first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      I'm not Mexican so I'm only speculating, but Morales is from Tijuana while Barrera is from Mexico City. Those cities aren't even close to each other so popularity is likely regional when they are fighting each other.

Both fighters seem to have big egos and are on the cranky side (especially Erik) which is why their personalities clash.
      My guess about the animosity would be that both of them were convinced they won their first fight.
      That's pretty much it.

They have had a rivalry since they were young kids.

I spoke with Barrera earlier this year and he said that a year or so ago, he and Morales were playing on opposing football (soccer) teams and after the match, he went up to him and tried to put everything behind them and even possibly try and be friends. To which Morales replied; "We will never be friends".

He told this same story on Ringside actually.

Comment

Barrera did say some pretty offensive stuff when they were promoting their fights. Barrera was real uppity because he came from a middle class Mexican family and he was educated. I remember during an interview they were both sitting side by side and Barrera told the reporter that Morales was a "uneducated indian". I think this is where it stems from.
        Last edited by $coinblatt$; 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          That's pretty much it.

They have had a rivalry since they were young kids.

I spoke with Barrera earlier this year and he said that a year or so ago, he and Morales were playing on opposing football (soccer) teams and after the match, he went up to him and tried to put everything behind them and even possibly try and be friends. To which Morales replied; "We will never be friends".

He told this same story on Ringside actually.
          thats weird, they seemed to be fine 2 years ago when they were on Golpe a Golpe ESPN talking about their 3 fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
            thats weird, they seemed to be fine 2 years ago when they were on Golpe a Golpe ESPN talking about their 3 fights.
            Who knows.

That's what Barrera said though.

Comment

Barrera called Erik a "Chuntaro" which roughly translates to an uneducated indian in spanish. I believe that happened sometime before the 2nd fight, Erik didn't take that too well, and the results of their remtach certainly didn't help.

I always thought Morales was a wee bit more popular amongs us Mexicans..most of my mexicans friends who are into the sport seem to be more fond to Morales, specially since Erik came from a poor neighborhood while Marco was more a middle class dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopilote View Post
                Barrera called Erik a "Chuntaro" which roughly translates to an uneducated indian in spanish. I believe that happened sometime before the 2nd fight, Erik didn't take that too well, and the results of their remtach certainly didn't help.

I always thought Morales was a wee bit more popular amongs us Mexicans..most of my mexicans friends who are into the sport seem to be more fond to Morales, specially since Erik came from a poor neighborhood while Marco was more a middle class dude.
                no, I heard him literally call him an "indian with no education". Never heard him say chuntaro, he probably did though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
                  no, I heard him literally call him an "indian with no education". Never heard him say chuntaro, he probably did though.
                  Never knew that. I've heard that he called him a chuntaro before, but that interview you're talking about my be it...Which he pretty much did call him a chuntaro by saying that.

Comment

So is Barrera sort of snooty then, thinking of someone poor or growing up poor as beneath him?
                    Last edited by Anthony342; 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X