No announcement yet.

Help me sort my career out guys!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
    So I dropped out of my PhD (Huzzah, no regrets), but finding a career is way tough atm. I may go back for a 2nd MA in 2013/4 and then go to law school?

I dont know. I am rubbish and sticking to a plan. I am a free spirit and just like to float from one thing to another.
    being a professional student doesn't get you anywhere in life & it doesn't pay the bills either...

Comment

it is kinda fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hous View Post
        You're not too old to go back to school. My mother went back when she was 35. She now has a Masters and is considering going back for a PhD.
        i have thought about this also, the big question is, what the hell would i study in today's market that might actually net me a job? for someone like me who is over 35 and has managerial experience but also alot of years of unskilled labor

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
          i have thought about this also, the big question is, what the hell would i study in today's market that might actually net me a job? for someone like me who is over 35 and has managerial experience but also alot of years of unskilled labor
          Probably best to study something related to your managerial experience, like hospitality or business (depending on type of experience).

College degrees don't net jobs, they might be of help when it comes to moving up the ladder though. I would for sure take classes at a community college or state college if you do plan to try it out. private colleges are too expensive and a bad investment for most 18 year olds.

My advice would be to ask what job you want to do, and find out if the people that have the job have college degrees. You may not need it depending on your goals; it could also be a requirement.

My mother had to get a college education because she wanted to be a teacher. She graduated with a 4.0 GPA, so the rust you have to shake off can't be too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hous View Post
            Probably best to study something related to your managerial experience, like hospitality or business (depending on type of experience).

College degrees don't net jobs, they might be of help when it comes to moving up the ladder though. I would for sure take classes at a community college or state college if you do plan to try it out. private colleges are too expensive and a bad investment for most 18 year olds.

My advice would be to ask what job you want to do, and find out if the people that have the job have college degrees. You may not need it depending on your goals; it could also be a requirement.

My mother had to get a college education because she wanted to be a teacher. She graduated with a 4.0 GPA, so the rust you have to shake off can't be too bad.
            when i graduated from university i actuallly found it harder to get jobs and i made less money than i did before, i think that's why i didn't go back for an M.A.

Comment

Dude, like 5% of the population has a masters degree. You can find a job at a lot of places. Just try to bend your degree in to something similar. Tell them why your degree will help you with whatever job you want.

A dude at a warehouse I worked had a psychology degree (to me it's second most pointless degree to art history) and he got into a managerial position because of it.

Comment

Supposed financial/success experts (namely someone like Dave Ramsey who comes to mind) at least preach a simple strategy.

Which is true in that most if not all good things financially come VERY SLOWLY.......you will fail or end up in prison if you try to strike gold fast.

Kind of redundant in that most grown ups here are aware of that. Which is why it's clear that education is far and beyond the best bet.

You grow, learn, and develop credit within any professional environment. That's of course if you're taking the sensible approach to being a successful person.

The idea of a get rich quick scheme in my eyes only applies to crime. Otherwise it's an even BIGGER RISK to try the pet rock / entepreneur idea.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Originally posted by ManBearG-Dog View Post
                  Dude, like 5% of the population has a masters degree. You can find a job at a lot of places. Just try to bend your degree in to something similar. Tell them why your degree will help you with whatever job you want.

A dude at a warehouse I worked had a psychology degree (to me it's second most pointless degree to art history) and he got into a managerial position because of it.
                  Right but working bottom - up takes a tremendous amount of time and dedication and most businesses prefer people to start off at the very bottom. So if you're going to aspire to be a general/regional manager without the formal education you're going to have to grind away for years.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

I just need a plan to finance a 2nd MA.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
                      I just need a plan to finance a 2nd MA.
                      Nobody will hand you anything, so.

You have two options. Either earn something or take it.

Comment

Working...
                      X