No announcement yet.

is finito lopez an atg?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is finito lopez an atg?

a boxer with great boxing skills & an undefeated record... but does his resume make the grade to vault him into atg status?

Soley of his resume of wins, probaly not. But I liked to judge Lopez's greatness on his incredible skills and his longativity.

''El Finito'' went undefeated in 52 bouts, his only blemish a techincal draw against then unbeaten Rosendo Alvarez, which he later avenged defeating him in the rematch. Do by the time them fights had come about, Lopez was past his very best.

He made 21 consecutive title defenses of his WBC minimumweight title and held on to it for 8 years and unified the division by winning the WBO title aswell as the WBA.

He also won the IBF Light Flyweight Title making him a two weight world division champion by defeating Will Grigsby and made two defences of that before retireing in 2001.

He was also a true world champion defending his Title in South Korea, Thailand, Japan, USA and Mexico. He was often never quite given the credit or recognition he deserved and had to deal with often fighting on big fight undercard bouts.

Lopez had it all. jolting jab, fearsome body attack, huge left hook, and right cross, subline defensve skills, beautilful footwork, incredible accuarcy, reflexes and timing. He was a master of ring generalship and a true master of his craft and a textbook perfect fighter.

Titles Won
    -WBC Continental Americas
    -WBC Minimumweight
    -WBA Minimumweight
    -WBO Minimumweight
    -IBF Light Flyweight

He was inducted into the IBHOF in 2007 and still resides in Mexico. His son is a current pro boxer.
    Last edited by JFB629; 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, just think if he were a heavyweight, he'd be thought of better than Marciano. But he was in the smallest weight class so he's overlooked.

Comment

As JFB said, maybe not based on his resume alone but his skills were definitely great and he did have a record number of defenses of his title while fighting solid opposition. Would've loved to see him get it on against Carbajal or Gonzalez a weight class higher though.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
          As JFB said, maybe not based on his resume alone but his skills were definitely great and he did have a record number of defenses of his title while fighting solid opposition. Would've loved to see him get it on against Carbajal or Gonzalez a weight class higher though.
          i remember cliff rold joining a discussion before & he said senor nacho priced themselves out for a fight with carbajal...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
            i remember cliff rold joining a discussion before & he said senor nacho priced themselves out for a fight with carbajal...
            That wouldn't surprise me, Nacho is a great trainer, not so great manager.

And a fight between Lopez and Gonzalez might have never happened anyways since they were both trained by Nacho. Would've made for a great fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
              That wouldn't surprise me, Nacho is a great trainer, not so great manager.

And a fight between Lopez and Gonzalez might have never happened anyways since they were both trained by Nacho. Would've made for a great fight though.
              That's something I was told by someone who I considered reliable; can't state it as fact though.

Comment

Originally posted by JFB629 View Post
                Soley of his resume of wins, probaly not. But I liked to judge Lopez's greatness on his incredible skills and his longativity.

''El Finito'' went undefeated in 52 bouts, his only blemish a techincal draw against then unbeaten Rosendo Alvarez, which he later avenged defeating him in the rematch. Do by the time them fights had come about, Lopez was past his very best.

He made 21 consecutive title defenses of his WBC minimumweight title and held on to it for 8 years and unified the division by winning the WBO title aswell as the WBA.

He also won the IBF Light Flyweight Title making him a two weight world division champion by defeating Will Grigsby and made two defences of that before retireing in 2001.

He was also a true world champion defending his Title in South Korea, Thailand, Japan, USA and Mexico. He was often never quite given the credit or recognition he deserved and had to deal with often fighting on big fight undercard bouts.

Lopez had it all. jolting jab, fearsome body attack, huge left hook, and right cross, subline defensve skills, beautilful footwork, incredible accuarcy, reflexes and timing. He was a master of ring generalship and a true master of his craft and a textbook perfect fighter.

Titles Won
                -WBC Continental Americas
                -WBC Minimumweight
                -WBA Minimumweight
                -WBO Minimumweight
                -IBF Light Flyweight

He was inducted into the IBHOF in 2007 and still resides in Mexico. His son is a current pro boxer.
                What you said pretty much sums it up for Finito. When I was a kid I really wanted him to step up weight divisions though.

An old trainer of mine was a Finito victim. And one time in class I brought up Finito's name, he didn't realize that his students knew that much about boxing. He let out a chuckle and said "d*mn, y'all been doin' some diggin".

He just said that, it wasn't so much about Finito's technical skills, but the guy was just really fast. My old trainer was a two-time champ himself.
                Last edited by NYU Alum.; 12-11-2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Finito looked masterfull while destroying his opponents. For me its very sad, that he didnt fight heavier opponents. His left uppercut is a wonderfull and dangerous weapon. He was using it perfectly, while jabbing.

The most sad thing is, I just heard of him, while reading in a book about training and work-out routines of former boxers. After I watch some fights of him, I was sad that he was such a forgotten great-boxer. In europe he is a very unknown person.

Comment

basically what JFB and Slice said..

Comment

Working...
                    X