Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is winning the fight not enough anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is winning the fight not enough anymore?

Do you have to own your opponent in negotiations too? We've seen it from fighters such as Manny, Floyd, Oscar, and even going back to Leonard. All A-side fighters forcing their opponents to give up certain advantages they might have. Is owning your opponents in negotiations a part of phycological warfare?

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
    Do you have to own your opponent in negotiations too? We've seen it from fighters such as Manny, Floyd, Oscar, and even going back to Leonard. All A-side fighters forcing their opponents to give up certain advantages they might have. Is owning your opponents in negotiations a part of phycological warfare?
    It's on a different level today,,completely out of control. At least Leonard fought Hagler at 160 after a three year retirement. All Hagler wanted was the money, so he was happy to give certain concessions to Leonard because as he said it, easy fight for him regardless. If that fight happened today...it wouldn't have happened.

Comment

It's no different than it's ever been. We're just a hell of a lot more exposed to the minutiae due to the age we live in.
      Last edited by b00g13man; 04-30-2016, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
        It's on a different level today,,completely out of control. At least Leonard fought Hagler at 160 after a three year retirement. All Hagler wanted was the money, so he was happy to give certain concessions to Leonard because as he said it, easy fight for him regardless. If that fight happened today...it wouldn't have happened.
        Hagler gave up a lot. He let Leonard get that big ass ring. And going from 15 rounds to 12 was a huge concession at the time. But like you said at least Hagler got the lions share of the cash. These other fighters aren't even getting that. And their having to give up lbs., going to other cities/countries, gloves etc...

Comment

Unless you're Floyd in this era, it's pretty stupid to think that fighters call the shots these days.

GBP's are the most gangsta of them all. I mean it's Bhop and Oscar. These are made men and know what they'Re doing and tame Alvarez. When you look at Lil'G and his mgmt camp, it's miles away from gangsta, more close to taxi stations.

Comment

Hagler gave up a lot. He let Leonard get that big ass ring. And going from 15 rounds to 12 was a huge concession at the time. But like you said at least Hagler got the lions share of the cash. These other fighters aren't even getting that. And their having to give up lbs., going to other cities/countries, gloves etc...
            Actually Hagler chose the 12 round distance. In agreement, Leonard chose the ring size. It was a compromise.

I guess Hagler figured he didn't need more than twelve rounds and figured the ring size would not save Leonard.

Comment

I think it originally started out as psychological warfare, to show the opponent who the dominant side in the equation was. Now its degenerated to nothing but posturing and trying to impose as much of a handicap as possible in order to win. Certain things like catch weights in order to make a fight even in specific circumstances is understandable, but then certain fighters go out of their way to exploit catch weights, imposing ridiculous weigh in limits and/or rehydration clauses, banning Granola bars, can only fap with the right hand if you're a Southpaw, etc.

Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                Actually Hagler chose the 12 round distance. In agreement, Leonard chose the ring size. It was a compromise.

I guess Hagler figured he didn't need more than twelve rounds and figured the ring size would not save Leonard.
                I don't recall it happening that way. Hagler was fresh off of a 15 rounder while Leonard hadn't fought in a couple years.

Comment

I don't recall it happening that way. Hagler was fresh off of a 15 rounder while Leonard hadn't fought in a couple years.
                  Actually the two previous fights for Hagler, Mugabi and Hearns were scheduled for 12 rounds. The WBC sanctioned the Leonard bout and they were the first to make title bouts twelve.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                    Actually the two previous fights for Hagler, Mugabi and Hearns were scheduled for 12 rounds. The WBC sanctioned the Leonard bout and they were the first to make title bouts twelve.
                    You know what you are right. I just went back and watched. Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X