Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A close look at the core of the 70's HW division.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me understand what is going on here..so Ali the man with the best heavyweight resume period only other fighter close would be Lennox Lewis...is overrated??? and Alex Leapi would have been a top contender in the 70's the best era of heavyweights??? And since the fighters now are bigger they are better automatically?? Did i miss anything?

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
      That part is true. Both Ali and Foreman confirmed that. Foreman fight was pushed back after a cut and Foreman was not allowed to leave Zaire.

Ali was a great HW...but not the greatest HW. That honor belongs to Joe Louis. I also think that Ali was too small to beat Lennox or Vladdy KO since both are tactical fighters.
      How is Joe Louis greater then Ali?? Ali was the better fighter and has the better resume

Comment

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
        A lot - if not most- of the people glorifying the 70's HW division do so mainly because of their agenda to downplay the achievements of the Klitschko brothers today.
        Ali, Foreman, Frazier were considered atg's before the Klitschkos ever stepped foot in a ring.

Comment

I am still laughing at Alex Leapi being a top contender EVER...

Comment

Leapai is a bum.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
              Let me understand what is going on here..so Ali the man with the best heavyweight resume period only other fighter close would be Lennox Lewis...is overrated??? and Alex Leapi would have been a top contender in the 70's the best era of heavyweights??? And since the fighters now are bigger they are better automatically?? Did i miss anything?
              Yeah, you missed the whole thing Larry!

The problem began with your initial assumption...

"Muhammad Ali had the best heavyweight resume PERIOD".

Muhammad Ali's 200+ HW record is only 28-5, the rest is a Cruiser record by todays standards (except 1 CW that he LOST to), the average opponent weight from all opponents is about 200lbs (cruiser) anyway!

Now weight aside, it turns out the records, the QUALTY of his opponents was far WORSE than the average opponent today!

No, Lennox Lewis is not "just about as good".

Would Muhammad Ali have had to fight against the guys that Lennox, or Wladimir did, he would not have survived many rounds per fight. His style only works if your opponents are weak, and not skilled enough to keep your opponents off of them.

Conversely, if LL or WK were to have had the luxury of Ali's resume they would have basically knocked every single one of them out.

Most of the fights could not be made.

Because of the limit, WW and LL were not really allowed to face cruisers!
              Because of fans and media, WW & LL were not allowed to face bums!

Sure Alex Leapai would be top contender in the 70's. Shaver was, Foreman was, there is no gulf in skills here. The main difference is that Leapai is simply stronger!

Comment

leapai is much bigger and hits harder than earnie shavers. did you see the way he destroyed boystov and travis walker. the way wlad outboxed this killer was simply amazing. lepai would probably be champ at least for a couple years in the 70's. foreman-leapai is a toss up.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  How is Joe Louis greater then Ali?? Ali was the better fighter and has the better resume
                  I don't agree with Louis being the greatest either.

But again, WHY do you say Ali has the best resume?

His opponents consisted largely of..

Cruisers.
                  Bums.

Which he often struggled against and was LUCKY to have been gifted against often.

The stuff of champions Larry!!

Comment

here's a look at the core of a few contemporary HW.

those look like some flabby cores to me.

Comment

I told myself i would never stoop to other people levels anymore so for the sake of my own brain and soul i will exit this thread......enjoy

Comment

Working...
                      X