Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with all the "Guerrero deserves the shot against Floyd"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
    u bum ass pac turds will look for anything to descredit him or his fights but yall have to live with your hero getting ktfo by a guy that floyd toyed with
    LOL. What does this have to do with Pac? Unlike you I'm a boxing fan before I'm a fanboy of any one fighter. Since Floyd is known to take a fight then retire for a year or 2 I would like to see him take the biggest challenge possible and so should you.

Comment

For whatever reason, Ghost has found his way onto Floyd's shortlist. Canelo was never really in line to fight Floyd in May, ideally it would have been Cotto. Robert has been around for years putting in work, he just had that setback otherwise he would be much more well established and we wouldn't be questioning if he was ready to hang with Floyd, his skill level is there.

Personally, I think he has what it takes to make it a good fight but it certainly doesn't feel like a major event, but none of that matter once the bell rings. If they put together 4 solid fights then it looks good to me because I think the action will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
        Once again, Since when do you have to "deserve" a fight with Floyd? What did the majority of Floyd's opponents do to "deserve" a fight with him? Floyd says its all about the money and how this is "prizefighting" right? Well the bigger prize comes with the bigger fight against Canelo.
        Floyd makes a ton of money no matter who he fights. Neither is much of a threat IMO. It would be smarter to fight Guerrero now, and Alvarez later. If that is Mayweather's goal here, to maximize the amount of money he makes, fighting Alvarez now is still not a good idea.

Imagine the hype if Alvarez beat the hell out of one of the other top guys at 154.

Comment

If he is going to fight someone the size of Canelo then why not Martinez? Sure it may not be as big as a Canelo fight, but it is very marketable and has the potential to be huge as well. Martinez is also widely considered to be in the P4P top 5, while Canelo is not.

Canelo has beat up on old, blown-up WWs even though he weighs the same as Sergio Martinez on fight night now.

Guerrero moved up two divisions after a hiatus to fight two solid WWs (Berto outweighed him by like 7 or 8 pounds I believe) and showed a great heart and chin in the process. He showed more to me than Victor Ortiz did at 147 before he got the fight with Floyd. Keep in mind Victor Ortiz also weighed in at 164 against Floyd, so he was very big for the WW division.

Marquez had proven himself against guys like Pacquiao and Barrera. De La Hoya wasn't chosen for what he had did at 154 and was very competitive in the lower weight classes against top flight competition. Cotto, while old, had also been very successful against top competition before Margarito (probably cheated) and Pacquiao.

Canel has yet to take on a top-10 or maybe even a top-15 fighter in his division (Ryan Rhodes may have been the only one).

Comment

Well one thing's for sure. Guerrero has done more @ 147 than Bradley did, who I didn't feel deserved a Pac fight by beating a very old Casamayor.

Even with my doubts about Timmy, he proved me wrong by defeating the 8 division, fighter of the decade. So I reserve any criticism I have of Guerrero being Floyd's next possible opponent

Comment

What's wrong with fighting both?

Guerrero is the biggest fight at 147 and Canelo is the biggest fight at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                Canelo and Guerrero are both cherrypicks imho. However, Guerrero traveled up two weight classes and beat two WWs, therefore earning a shot to be considered as an opponent. Is Guerrero a legacy fight for Mayweather? absolutely not. Neither is Canelo, but they'll probably pose a decent obstacle for Floyd. I'm not mad at either match-up should it happen, as long as others analyze them for what they actually are.
                Who do u suggest he fight then if Guerrero and Canelo are cherry picks ?

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                  For whatever reason, Ghost has found his way onto Floyd's shortlist. Canelo was never really in line to fight Floyd in May, ideally it would have been Cotto. Robert has been around for years putting in work, he just had that setback otherwise he would be much more well established and we wouldn't be questioning if he was ready to hang with Floyd, his skill level is there.

Personally, I think he has what it takes to make it a good fight but it certainly doesn't feel like a major event, but none of that matter once the bell rings. If they put together 4 solid fights then it looks good to me because I think the action will be good.
                  Floyd Mayweather is one of the most intelligent fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves. It's an easy win for Floyd. Nobody is confused about that, least of all Floyd. There's your Mayweather shortlist critieria. Always has been.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                    I like and respect Guerrero's toughness but real boxing fans know that the best and biggest fight that can happen right now for Floyd is against Canelo. It seems as if everyone is just accepting the politics of "let him fight the Ghost to build up a fight with Canelo in Sept". Who says there's a guarantee Floyd fights Canelo in Sept or that Floyd even fights at all after May? Guerrero's only chance at victory is if he makes it ugly the way he did against Berto and hope that Floyd's legs are really gone. If not Floyd picks him apart from the outside en route to a UD.

Now aside from a few Floyd diehards that seem to be concerned about Floyd fighting Canelo for whatever reason, there is absolutely ZERO fan outcry for a Floyd/Guerrero fight. Casual boxing fans wouldnt even be able to pick out Guerrero in a 3 man lineup. He's just not known outside of the boxing diehards. Canelo on the other hand is the most recognizable Mexican fighter at the moment aside from maybe Chavez Jr. He has a huge following and it would make for a tremendously successful PPV. Ellerbe stated that Floyd only wants BIG fights next year. There's nothing "BIG" about a fight with Guererro

Now as for: "well Guerrero deserves the shot". Really? How? By beating a guy that Floyd already beat in only his 2nd fight at 147? You can say that Canelo hasnt really fought anyone worthy of lining him up a shot against Floyd and that may be true. Fact is though that given the notoriety of both fighters, the styles of both fighters, the strength and size that Canelo brings to the ring along with his combination punching power, it makes for a MUCH bigger event on Cinco de Mayo wknd than Floyd/Guerrero fight.

-Who did Cotto beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? A one-eyed shot Margarito?

- Who did JMM beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? Juan Diaz @ 135?

- Who did Ricky Hatton beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? A shot to pieces Jose Luis Castillo?

- Who did ODH beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? Ricardo Mayorga?

Etc....

The reason why most of these fights happened were because of name recognition and they made for big events. So lets not act as if Floyd only fights fighters who "deserve" a shot against him. Canelo is a young prime fighter who is calling Floyd out. Every Floyd fan should be demanding this fight!
                    floyd says hes fighting twice this year if he doesnt fight canelo in september then *****.

him fighting the ghost now and canelo later shouldnt be such a huge damn problem unless canelo gets beat or ktfo in his next fight.

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
                      Who do u suggest he fight then if Guerrero and Canelo are cherry picks ?
                      Guerrero is definitely one of the few legitimate challenges at 147. I suppose Alexander and Bradley would be fine as well, but I don't see them winning either.

Canelo could be a challenge to Floyd due to his size, but I still think Floyd would win. Again, I'll say if Floyd is going to fight someone that big then it should probably be Martinez. Martinez has also offered a catch weight in the past, while Canelo has not.

Comment

Working...
                      X