Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fight a smaller guy with speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fight a smaller guy with speed?

If your opponent is considerably smaller than you, but is a mover with speed whats the best way to try and win?

I have been sparring with this guy but he makes me look clumsy, his punches don't hurt at all though ,but when i do land he feels it, what are good tactics

Cut off the ring. Don't follow him, go the same direction but at an angle to cut him off.

Do this a couple of times, extend the jab to keep him honest(don't try to hurt him w/ the jab). You'll shrink the ring on him and when you get to your range, bang the body. Throw hooks first, then when you get him in the same spot, go upper cuts to the body. Keep switching them up.

Eventually he will slow down and be a sitting duck. Check-mate!

Summary:
    • Cut off the ring (at angles)
    • Jab to keep opponent honest
    • When in range, go to the body
    • Hooks, uppercuts, hooks, uppercuts. Never be predictable
    • Finish him when he slows down

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      [*]Hooks, uppercuts, hooks, uppercuts. Never be predictable[/LIST]
      never be predictable? what comes next- hooks, uppercuts by any chance?
      and a volley of straight shots coming back at you...

sorry, not meaning to be an arse, just if someone is just mixing up those two types of shot then it gets predictable by default and combined with the opening up that makes it real easy to deal with using a decent guard, or footwork, and straight shots.

Comment

so the guy is faster but you are taller. I am assuming that your reach would then be greater than his. Work in that jab abit, stick it in his belly and stick it in his face. The whole time that you are doing this you are giving ground when neccesary, keeping him atleast at the end of your punches. When he does get inside you fire away to get him from being so close, get him to the end............ feint and draw him,bop-bop slip away............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          so the guy is faster but you are taller. I am assuming that your reach would then be greater than his. Work in that jab abit, stick it in his belly and stick it in his face. The whole time that you are doing this you are giving ground when neccesary, keeping him atleast at the end of your punches. When he does get inside you fire away to get him from being so close, get him to the end............ feint and draw him,bop-bop slip away............Rockin'
          just kidding there. This is what you do, punch him in the face and when he tries to hit you back you don't let him. And then you punch him in the face again and repeat............Rockin'

Comment

Sounds like a question most of Pacquiao's opponents have been thinking

Comment

you have range in your favor so use straight punches. walk him down and cut the ring off but always make sure your just out of his range and in yours. the jab and straights are your weapons of choice. or you can just bully him with pressure and lots of body shots. its depends on your style.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
                never be predictable? what comes next- hooks, uppercuts by any chance?
                and a volley of straight shots coming back at you...

sorry, not meaning to be an arse, just if someone is just mixing up those two types of shot then it gets predictable by default and combined with the opening up that makes it real easy to deal with using a decent guard, or footwork, and straight shots.
                lol. I don't mean a set pattern of: hooks then uppercuts, hooks then uppercuts. what i mean is stay unpredictable. If you just hook all day, it will be easy to block. If he starts to think your gonna hook his body and you throw an uppercut to the middle of the body. It's gonna not only mess him up physically but mentally.

and a volley of straights coming back? I didn't tell the guy to be dumb and block with his face. It's pretty obvious that you want to block or dodge incoming shots. And keeping an opponent honest with the jab will keep them from unloading like your saying.

It's boxing 101, using the jab to set up the shots you want. Jabbing makes them think face, going to the body takes the legs away. Using it again but going in with an uppercut to the middle, makes it unpredictable. A complete drop in guard causes a wide open face. Win!

I covered all the holes in my advice, nice try though.

Comment

Boxing 201 tells us that it works even better when you mix in feints with the jab to set up shots. You want to again land those hooks that you were landing in the first round but he was able to pick them up after so many. Feint-stick one in his belly. Feint another jab to his belly and turn the hook over following with the right while coming in hard.

Feinting is becoming a lost art............Rockin'

Comment

You might want to review the Douglas-Tyson fight for strategy/blueprint..

Comment

Working...
                    X