Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a fighter considered past prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a fighter considered past prime?

Can someone give me a working definition of a fighters prime and when they consider a fighter is past it? Someone said its when a fighter peaks at a technical level while still being in his prime years 24-30 . Some people consider Jones to be prime when he fought Ruiz, but past prime afterwards.

i guess it depends on the boxer because everyone ages differently and styles play a big part.

Comment

Originally posted by P.WILL View Post
      i guess it depends on the boxer because everyone ages differently and styles play a big part.
      Yes, it all depends on what P.WILL said. If you're fighting with a chin first, take 2 to give one style your'e going to become past prime faster than you would if you were a pure boxer. But also, if you rely on you speed and reflexes, you're probably going to be past prime at around 33-34 because then you're going to start losing you natural talents because of father time. I would also think it depends on your habits outside of the ring as well.

So it all depends on the fighter, there's not really a universal time when fighters become past prime.

Comment

When he starts losing.

Comment

Originally posted by P.WILL View Post
          That is true. I consider Jones to be at his peak at smw, but he was also dominant at lhw and never really lost to anyone, so I would consider him prime until maybe Ruiz. Although Jones didnt look to good in the Harmon fight.

Hopkins Im not to familar with his career maybe he was prime from Johnson to Tito, but due to his technical skills he has still been able to remain elite.

Hagler I would say was Prime from Minter to maybe Roldan. He was clearly on the slide after that especially in the Mugabi and Leonard fights.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant man View Post
            When he starts losing.
            Hopkins was past prime after he lost to Clinton Mitchell, lol

J/K

Comment

Originally posted by mcdoodledoo View Post
              Yes, it all depends on what P.WILL said. If you're fighting with a chin first, take 2 to give one style your'e going to become past prime faster than you would if you were a pure boxer. But also, if you rely on you speed and reflexes, you're probably going to be past prime at around 33-34 because then you're going to start losing you natural talents because of father time. I would also think it depends on your habits outside of the ring as well.

So it all depends on the fighter, there's not really a universal time when fighters become past prime.
              Excellent post, thanks for posting

Comment

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
                Excellent post, thanks for posting
                Cheers man, it's always nice to get some appreciation.

Comment

when pacman decides to fight them

Comment

When they get beat up by people who arent suppose to even share a ring with them.

Example Jones vs Green!

Comment

Working...
                    X