No announcement yet.

List 10 fighters with a better resume than Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    That's just a ridiculous thing to say. He wasn't shot. Granted he was old and not in his prime, but he could still do a job. Similarly to ODLH, Pacquiao, Mosley, Cotto etc. Quite similar in fact. He had won the title at LHW just a year prior or so. If you disagree, I'm interested to hear what the differences was?

I.e. Oscar, Pacquiao, Cotto had all been knocked out, lost and BEATEN up before fighting Floyd. McCallum had not.

Roy Jones beat Toney, Hopkins, McCallum, Hill, Griffin, Lacy, Trinidad, Tarver & Ruiz. That's without mentioning the #1 contenders and fringe 'world champions' like Lou de valle, Johnson, Paz, Woods, Malinga, Vaca, Castro, Sosa, Gonzales, Tate, Thornton etc.

^all of those guys were stiff competition coming off good/great wins. Some get a bad rep because RJ dominated them with absolute ease.

RJ beating prime Toney and Hopkins is two better wins than anything Mayweather has.
    McCallum was shot. Absolutely shot. Smh, if you cant even admit that then you need some work. And once again, out of all of those fighters youi named for Jones, the only one that was prime and headed for the HOF/ATG list is who? Toney. Trinidad was far from his prime, in fact id say he was shot to shreds by the time Roy fought him. Hopkins was not a prime champion, he was still up n coming and fresh, even mroe so than Canelo actaully. Hill wasnt prime either. Griffin, Lacy and Tarver are not Hof talents, granted Tarver may be in the borderline category. But then again, Roy struggled with him mightily. I'm not getting the point you are making here. You cant claim Mayweather doesnt have prime hof/atg talent and then cite Roy as a prim example of it. Kinda shows you dont know what you are talking about.

Comment

• guys with not more than 49 fights should be the title. more fights, more chances at fighting top guys. a lot of guys from the way back era (most notably moore) has real shaky resumes. moore fought as least 40 bums/compilers in a row (rofl @ johnny romero 114 wins !!!) and he lost to almost every notable guy he fought.

rocky gets props like a mfer for fighting his key opponents late in their careers but not may ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
        McCallum was shot. Absolutely shot. Smh, if you cant even admit that then you need some work. And once again, out of all of those fighters youi named for Jones, the only one that was prime and headed for the HOF/ATG list is who? Toney. Trinidad was far from his prime, in fact id say he was shot to shreds by the time Roy fought him. Hopkins was not a prime champion, he was still up n coming and fresh, even mroe so than Canelo actaully. Hill wasnt prime either. Griffin, Lacy and Tarver are not Hof talents, granted Tarver may be in the borderline category. But then again, Roy struggled with him mightily. I'm not getting the point you are making here. You cant claim Mayweather doesnt have prime hof/atg talent and then cite Roy as a prim example of it. Kinda shows you dont know what you are talking about.
        Do you know what shot means? In which fight previous to RJJ did he show he was "absolutley shot"? Jones fought Hopkins when hopkins was ranked higher than jones ffs But yeah whatever you said. He was 1 year removed from going on the longest MW defense streak in history.

But remind me which HOF prime champion Mayweather fought?

Which fighter at the level of Toney did Mayweather beat in their prime?

Virgil hill wasn't prime no, but he was not far removed. he went on to win CW title spectacularly soon after losing to Jones. You're just in the common group of guys who underrates Jones' wins because he beat them all in so convincing fashion.

And Jones struggled with Tarver... Are we trying to say Mayweather didn't struggle with far less caliber opponents in his career?

With regards to the bold, stop embarrassing yourself. telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I watched these fights as they happened

I would advise you to go and check out page 2-3-4 and see what I wrote about Mayweather. I just don't think he has a better resume than Roy Jones.
        Last edited by LacedUp; 10-14-2016, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Griffin should be in the HOF IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
            If Floyd didn't exist, Pacquiao would've been Lineal...? Not sure what you're getting at.
            Floyd was 1st, Pacquiao 2nd, Bradley 3rd..
            Floyd retired, so Pacquiao & Bradley moved up a spot & fought for the vacant Lineal..

I had Pacquiao over Money, but my opinion's beside the point. More punches. More aggressive. Harder punches.
            Great win by Floyd, 6 years after it would've been arguably the greatest win of all time. 6 years after it would've legitimately solidified him as debatably the GOAT. Instead, he'll still miss a prime, A-level fighter on his resume(let alone ATG).

Pacquiao atleast has that on his resume in Barrera circa 2003... I'm done here. StayDazed, my friend.
            Yup. Too bad Pacquiao missed a prime Floyd too. Fought an ancient Floyd who is now retired and is still older than him btw. And still lost. You been done, chum. All you little alts are so cute.

Comment

• Originally posted by don larryx View Post
              CyberBoxing and Transitional boxing recognized it...so **** it..i really have no beef with it as after Floyd left those were the most proven ww's

Let them make up whatever they wish. The lineal champ is yet to be decided.

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                Do you know what shot means? In which fight previous to RJJ did he show he was "absolutley shot"? Jones fought Hopkins when hopkins was ranked higher than jones ffs But yeah whatever you said. He was 1 year removed from going on the longest MW defense streak in history.

But remind me which HOF prime champion Mayweather fought?

Which fighter at the level of Toney did Mayweather beat in their prime?

Virgil hill wasn't prime no, but he was not far removed. he went on to win CW title spectacularly soon after losing to Jones. You're just in the common group of guys who underrates Jones' wins because he beat them all in so convincing fashion.

And Jones struggled with Tarver... Are we trying to say Mayweather didn't struggle with far less caliber opponents in his career?

With regards to the bold, stop embarrassing yourself. telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I watched these fights as they happened

I would advise you to go and check out page 2-3-4 and see what I wrote about Mayweather. I just don't think he has a better resume than Roy Jones.
                Trinidad was absolutely shot by the time Roy got to him. Did you not see the Winky Wright fight? He got hit with jab after jab in a fight that he clearly could not pull the trigger. I mean come on dude, Trinidad hadnt looked good in years prior to fighting as a bloated LHW. As far as Hop, my point being, he wasnt prime when he fought Jones. And he wasnt. That wasnt a prime Hopkins, i mean far from it, Hop was a late bloomer. I dont even know if you understand what prime means anymore.

As far as what prime HOF guys Floyd has fought, Castillo was very much prime when Floyd fought him. So was Hatton. Corrales may or may not get in but he was also prime when he fought Floyd. Toney is definitely the best prime guy on either guy's list andn im not even arguing that those other wins arent good. But you cant claim guys as being prime atgs for Roy then start dismissing them for Floyd. Cotto went on to win lineal at 160 after he fought Floyd. Pacquiao just dismantled Bradley less than a year after he fought Floyd. Hill, McCallum and Trinidad were pretty much done after their fights with Roy and they look very compromised even before those fights.

My point remains, as I said before, the one thing that Roy has absolutely over Floyd is his win at Heavy. And its pretty much about how much you weight that feat, which i admit is amazing within itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Griffin should be in the HOF IMO.
                  I dont necessarily have a problem with that. Griffin was a very good fighter with some glaring weaknesses. He still managed to give both Roy and Toney some good rounds. Especially Toney, who struggled with that type of fighter. He was 3-2 against Michalczeweski, Toney and Jones the 3 other best light heavy weights in that era and he was actually winning the Michalczeweski before the knockdown. I dont think he makes it in though.

Comment

I dont necessarily have a problem with that. Griffin was a very good fighter with some glaring weaknesses. He still managed to give both Roy and Toney some good rounds. Especially Toney, who struggled with that type of fighter. He was 3-2 against Michalczeweski, Toney and Jones the 3 other best light heavy weights in that era and he was actually winning the Michalczeweski before the knockdown. I dont think he makes it in though.
                    He won't. He did beat Toney twice but the win over Jones wasn't the kind that will make people sing your praises and the rematch was pretty bad. Then he lost a tight decision to Harding and got stopped by Dariusz. His run, if you can call it that, was too brief.

Comment

Trinidad was absolutely shot by the time Roy got to him. Did you not see the Winky Wright fight? He got hit with jab after jab in a fight that he clearly could not pull the trigger. I mean come on dude, Trinidad hadnt looked good in years prior to fighting as a bloated LHW. As far as Hop, my point being, he wasnt prime when he fought Jones. And he wasnt. That wasnt a prime Hopkins, i mean far from it, Hop was a late bloomer. I dont even know if you understand what prime means anymore.

As far as what prime HOF guys Floyd has fought, Castillo was very much prime when Floyd fought him. So was Hatton. Corrales may or may not get in but he was also prime when he fought Floyd. Toney is definitely the best prime guy on either guy's list andn im not even arguing that those other wins arent good. But you cant claim guys as being prime atgs for Roy then start dismissing them for Floyd. Cotto went on to win lineal at 160 after he fought Floyd. Pacquiao just dismantled Bradley less than a year after he fought Floyd. Hill, McCallum and Trinidad were pretty much done after their fights with Roy and they look very compromised even before those fights.

My point remains, as I said before, the one thing that Roy has absolutely over Floyd is his win at Heavy. And its pretty much about how much you weight that feat, which i admit is amazing within itself.
                      Trinidad? I never said he wasn't, I was talking about McCallum, who was never 'shot'. Was he the same? Absolutely not. but he wasn't losing to bums ala Mike Tyson in his later years.

Castillo and Hatton? Are those really the best? That is not even in the same stratosphere as the James Toney and Bernard Hopkins wins, not even close! Even though Hopkins wasn't a champion, he turned up with good wins straight after his loss to Jones which proved he was ready and also went undefeated for the next 15 years or whatever. He was the #1 contender for the belt.

Hill won the CW championship after losing to Jones. In devastating fashion.

As I said, both have impeccable resumes. I just feel Roy fought more top guys when they were in their prime and had a more impressive jump.

Comment

Working...
                      X