No announcement yet.

Power lifting Routine for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power lifting Routine for Boxing

I am in need of a good power lifting routine for strength and explosiveness. I currently do 6 sets of push ups broken down into diamond, clap push ups, and regular. I do leg lifts, leg circles, punch sit ups, bicycle crunches, and leg extension crunches for abs. I do squats for legs.

I have no background in power lifting but do have access to equipment. I can throw around guys my weight and 10+ pounds with ease if that helps.
    Last edited by Mr.MojoRisin'; 09-18-2016, 09:51 AM.

Seeing how you aren't experience with power lifting, you're pretty much limited as far as lifts are concerned. You're going to want to snatch etc but at your current experience you're stuck to power clean and deadlift. To be honest.

Power lifting helps with all round athleticism. So, I recommend it.

Start with the power clean and deadlift. Search youtube for technique help. I can't really help via text online. So, that's your best bet.

Before I can give any suggestions as far as workouts/ programs are concerned. I must advise you to learn the skill and technique first. Get that down packed and you'll probably get hooked on power lifting.

I certainly have. I'm addicted to it now. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      Seeing how you aren't experience with power lifting, you're pretty much limited as far as lifts are concerned. You're going to want to snatch etc but at your current experience you're stuck to power clean and deadlift. To be honest.

Power lifting helps with all round athleticism. So, I recommend it.

Start with the power clean and deadlift. Search youtube for technique help. I can't really help via text online. So, that's your best bet.

Before I can give any suggestions as far as workouts/ programs are concerned. I must advise you to learn the skill and technique first. Get that down packed and you'll probably get hooked on power lifting.

I certainly have. I'm addicted to it now. haha.
      I would have started it sooner but I was too scared of getting slow muscles then I realized it was entirely different from my other workout routine where I would do 10-12 reps and 5 sets. What rep ranges should I do with boxing and powerlifting?
      Last edited by Mr.MojoRisin'; 09-18-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

boxing is more endurance than raw power. sustaining power over 35 minutes.

So 10 reps for each set should be fine until you start heading towards your one-rep max. But most important, you should first learn the technique of the lifts first, so you don't get hurt and can actually benefit from the workouts.

After you get the technique down with no hitches. Then you should try something like, 10 reps every set but increasing the weight by 45 pounds each set until you can't add 45lb plates anymore.
        So say your 1 rep max deadlift is 225. Your workout should like like the following...

bar(no weights) - 10 reps (slow with max effort on technique) (this is the warm up)
        1 plate (135 lbs total) - 10 reps
        1 plate + 20lbs both sides (175lbs total) - 10 reps
        1 plate + 30lbs both sides (195lbs total) - 2 sets/ 5 reps (30-60 sec break between)
        1 plate + 35lbs both sides (205lbs total) - 5 singles (basically rep, pause for breath, repeat)
        2 plates (225lbs total) - 1 rep
        Dropset 60% of max (in this case 225 would turn to 135) - 10 reps
        Done.

Yeah, it seems complicated but you'll see huge increase in strength with relatively no mass gain. Like, you can develop a 405lb deadlift and look like you don't lift at all and realistically, when are you going to ever lift 405lbs? Never. But your body (in this case, lower back, legs, forearms, grip) will have a lot more strength and endurance. Meaning, the areas that tend to fade in boxing matches (lower back, legs, shoulders, etc.) won't die out as quickly.

And even better, the workout will benefit your daily life as well and not just boxing.

This is just an example of what I do though. There's other stuff you can do, and you don't have to do it the exact way i showed but it's just stuff to consider. Good luck man and learn the proper technique first and foremost.
        Last edited by F l i c k e r; 09-18-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

So 10 reps for each set should be fine until you start heading towards your one-rep max. But most important, you should first learn the technique of the lifts first, so you don't get hurt and can actually benefit from the workouts.

After you get the technique down with no hitches. Then you should try something like, 10 reps every set but increasing the weight by 45 pounds each set until you can't add 45lb plates anymore.
          So say your 1 rep max deadlift is 225. Your workout should like like the following...

bar(no weights) - 10 reps (slow with max effort on technique) (this is the warm up)
          1 plate + 30lbs both sides (195lbs total) - 2 sets/ 5 reps (30-60 sec break between)
          1 plate + 35lbs both sides (205lbs total) - 5 singles (basically rep, pause for breath, repeat)
          Done.

Yeah, it seems complicated but you'll see huge increase in strength with relatively no mass gain. Like, you can develop a 405lb deadlift and look like you don't lift at all and realistically, when are you going to ever lift 405lbs? Never. But your body (in this case, lower back, legs, forearms, grip) will have a lot more strength and endurance. Meaning, the areas that tend to fade in boxing matches (lower back, legs, shoulders, etc.) won't die out as quickly.

And even better, the workout will benefit your daily life as well and not just boxing.

This is just an example of what I do though. There's other stuff you can do, and you don't have to do it the exact way i showed but it's just stuff to consider. Good luck man and learn the proper technique first and foremost.
          Do you have any experience with power cleans? I absolutley hate front squats and have always been interested in trying these. What percentage of my deadlift or front squat should I start at after I learn the technique?
          Last edited by Mr.MojoRisin'; 09-18-2016, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Done.

all this heavy lifting with your legs, how long have you done it for? have you any knee issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
              Do you have any experience with power cleans? I absolutley hate front squats and have always been interested in trying these. What percentage of my deadlift or front squat should I start at after I learn the technique?
              Personally. I worked to find mind 1 rep max. When I started, I literally went from just the bar to 135, until I had max effort which was around 185 as a beginner. Then from there i would do a 60% double drop set. basically dropping the weight 60% twice.

And yeah, I work with power cleans as well.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
                all this heavy lifting with your legs, how long have you done it for? have you any knee issues?
                I've done it for a while. No real issues from the lifts themselves.

The only injuries from these kinds of lifts (power lifts, olympic lifts) that i've encountered was overloading my nervous system when I tried to do LSU's strength and conditioning programming.
                And when I was a beginner trying to learn power cleans, I jumped weight too fast and my wrist was jammed when I tried to catch it.

Otherwise, never any knee issues from weightlifting. I always focused on technique and the one time I didn't, my wrist was messed up for 3 weeks.

Comment

Personally. I worked to find mind 1 rep max. When I started, I literally went from just the bar to 135, until I had max effort which was around 185 as a beginner. Then from there i would do a 60% double drop set. basically dropping the weight 60% twice.

And yeah, I work with power cleans as well.
                  Any tips for a newbie to power cleans? I started doing them yesterday and did some today. My first day I used 60 lbs in order to learn the technique. Today I used 100 lbs and did 3 sets of triples. How should I progress from hear? More specifically what should linear progression look like for this?

Comment

Working...
                  X