Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montreal sounds like a bag of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by racer59 View Post
      I'd love to visit Montreal but this is seriously my main problem with that town. They speak hacked up pathetic French and act like its appropriate. Just try to get through five minutes of any Xavier Dolan film. It's brutal.

Why even bother speaking French if you can't do it properly. It's mind boggling to say the least.
      In Montreal most people speak English. Around Quebec City is a different matter.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure they do but you'd also have to subject yourself to hearing locals attempting to speak to each other in very bad French.

Comment

An English Gentlemen while abroad doesn't concern himself with the demonic babbling of the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
            Vancouver? Are you nuts? The average house there is like 1.2 million dollars....about triple the price you could get for the same house in Toronto and probably four times elsewhere.
            No...Toronto is only a bit lower priced than Vancouver...not sure where you got that from. Yeah...it's true that Vancouver prices have gone through the roof...supply and demand. But that hasn't stopped people from coming here...more and more come everyday and that's why the prices continue to rise. Montreal has cheap real estate because people have been leaving the city since the 70's and there is no shortage of real estate...but you get what you pay for. Everyone here still has a place to live and gets by...it just takes adapting. There are cheaper places to live but when you walk the seawall and you look over a see a whale...you know why you choose to live here. That feeling makes you feel like a billionaire and it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              In Montreal most people speak English. Around Quebec City is a different matter.
              That's not exactly right...and many simply don't want to. It's a pretty contentious issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                That's not exactly right...and many simply don't want to. It's a pretty contentious issue.
                Yeah some people are dicks about.

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
                  Vancouver? Are you nuts? The average house there is like 1.2 million dollars....about triple the price you could get for the same house in Toronto and probably four times elsewhere.
                  do you consider Brampton "Toronto?" Because that's the only place, along with Oshawa that has single family homes anywhere close to Toronto for under 500k. They're beginning to build stacked townhouses in Toronto because homes are unaffordable for most. For 600k you're going to get 650 sqf, and the 1500sqf units will be over a million bucks.
                  http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2015/08...cesvalles.html

That's the reality here, slightly better than Vancouver but barely. Even the 905 areas are becoming too expensive. New builds in Markham are over 700k for barely over 2000sqf.

Comment

Originally posted by racer59 View Post
                    Yeah, I'm sure they do but you'd also have to subject yourself to hearing locals attempting to speak to each other in very bad French.
                    American tourists can't tell the difference between good and bad French and Klingonese. If you were in Shanghai, could you tell who was speaking in what dialect and would it really matter to you when you can't speak the language at all yourself?

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                    Typical comment from someone who does not live here and knows as much about living in Montreal as he does about living in Moscow.

Montreal is a very welcoming city to tourists, no matter what language they speak or what country they come from. English speaking tourists will receive better treatment than unilingual Anglos who actually live here and should be able to speak French to begin with. There is ignorance on both sides of the coin. Anyone who is proud to be unilingual is a damn fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
                      Typical comment from someone who does not live here and knows as much about living in Montreal as he does about living in Moscow.

Montreal is a very welcoming city to tourists, no matter what language they speak or what country they come from. English speaking tourists will receive better treatment than unilingual Anglos who actually live here and should be able to speak French to begin with. There is ignorance on both sides of the coin. Anyone who is proud to be unilingual is a damn fool.
                      I'm tri-lingual...and if you read my earlier comment you would have seen I was born and raised in Mtl 3rd generation...I know the city very well and still have family and friends there. I now exactly what I am talking about. Make sure to buy a nice warm pair of extra warm winter boots soon...it's Oct 3rd and your overnight low is forecasted at -2 C :rfl:...

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.1.WCWAO

It's 19 C...here and I'm going for a walk on the seawall with my dog...do a little whale watching.

Comment

Working...
                      X