is university life, the best time ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    No.

you look back on it as better than it was.

You think it's going to be all fun, booze, parties, hot women, sex, booze, etc

There are some good parts, but the reality of it is not having enough money to eat properly, being broke 6 days a week apart from the one day when you go out and spunk your entire weeks money on piss, being disconnected from reality, catching STD's off ****ing trollops, sitting up till 4am the day before assignment due date, pregnancy scares, hovel like living conditions, childish ****ing dramas, etc etc etc

The good side of it is freedom to do pretty much what you want (don't fancy getting up in the morning, fine, stay in bed) etc, but you are so disconnected from the real world outside of university that it dulls your brain, and you are also going to be broke, so you can't or won't end up doing anything worthwhile with your time anyway

I am MUCH happier as a working man than I was then, I mean i had a good time, but looking back it was over-hyped and had a lot more **** times than i do now.

I suppose it might be better in a way if you have rich Mummy and Daddy to support you financially, but even so, the rest of what I said will still apply.

If you are thinking of going, only do it if you have a CLEAR career path laid out, and are going to dedicate yourself to study.
    I'm £20,000 in debt, but I worked, lived in a nice house, ate nice food, went to nice places, travelled, partied, messed around, left with a good degree.

Did you go university in the 80's or something, or didn't you take out the living loans?

Comment

i had fun for my first year and a half at school
      lots of fun. anything can get old, and it does.

i finished college having quit drinking and with a 3.6 and two majors. that's what you're there for, after all.

i had to become an adult before i realized what period of my life i enjoyed the most

i loved being a young kid. running around, smashing people in sports, fighting with sticks, blasting on candy, taking huge spills and bouncing right back up, that was me.

if i had a time machine i'd head back to my 12th birthday and really live it up. real talk.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
        Minimal study, partied almost every night for 3 years, slept with at least 30+ girls, left with a first. Yes it's pretty good.
        Didn't you go to Newcastle?

Comment

I'm £20,000 in debt, but I worked, lived in a nice house, ate nice food, went to nice places, travelled, partied, messed around, left with a good degree.

Did you go university in the 80's or something, or didn't you take out the living loans?

at least over here, school loans are a great way to start your credit off the right way. interest rates are low. monthly payments are low. you get a few years before they kick in fully.

that, a decent two or three years of earnings, and a very basic credit card are what allowed me establish my credit and to qualify for a mortgage and loans for my business.

the only issue is, of course, that you're taking on debt in the assumption that it will provide you with a higher paying job. if you can't land one of those you're not putting the degree to work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
            Didn't you go to Newcastle?
            For a little bit, but left after Christmas after a tragedy in my family. Re-applied in Nottingham the next year.

Comment

College was trivial to me. I have a Bachelors in Business Administration..............taught me nothing except how to be an annoying, suit wearing, corporate scumbag.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

For a little bit, but left after Christmas after a tragedy in my family. Re-applied in Nottingham the next year.
                Ah sorry to hear about that, was Nottingham good? My cousin went there, studied French and Mandarin.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  at least over here, school loans are a great way to start your credit off the right way. interest rates are low. monthly payments are low. you get a few years before they kick in fully.

that, a decent two or three years of earnings, and a very basic credit card are what allowed me establish my credit and to qualify for a mortgage and loans for my business.

the only issue is, of course, that you're taking on debt in the assumption that it will provide you with a higher paying job. if you can't land one of those you're not putting the degree to work for you.
                  To be fair, you don't have to pay it back in England unless you're earning over £14,000. But I would have went no matter what just for the experience and the things I learnt. I wasn't the best student, but I worked hard when I had to, and got a great degree classification. I can write a 10,000 word dissertation easy enough that's academically sound. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I didn't attend uni that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                    Ah sorry to hear about that, was Nottingham good? My cousin went there, studied French and Mandarin.
                    Nottingham is crazy good. It's so compact, but it feels alive every day, and there is so much to do. Don't think I was ever bored, not once. Saw Froch fight Dirrell there, and had my photo taken with Pascal and Tarver and a few other fighters. Missed the Bute fight, but I'll be back for Froch vs Mack later in the year.

Comment

Nottingham is crazy good. It's so compact, but it feels alive every day, and there is so much to do. Don't think I was ever bored, not once. Saw Froch fight Dirrell there, and had my photo taken with Pascal and Tarver and a few other fighters. Missed the Bute fight, but I'll be back for Froch vs Mack later in the year.
                      Nice. Compact places are good when you're a student. Durham is very, very small though

Comment

Working...
                      X