No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO's Lampley Fires Off, Shoots Deep on Al Haymon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
    Really? So why is TBE, the best eva, the guy who calls himself MONEY and his company MONEY TEAM, is ducking Pacquiao, the biggest money fight of all time? What is he scared of?
    Last I checked Arum didn't want to disrespect Mexicans by having Manny fight Mayweather on May 2nd. I'm sure that doesn't sound like a duck to you though.

Comment

• Haymon's plans got ****ed plain and simple, he is still fine but changing course is not that simple and does make things more challenging.

He had a beautiful set-up going and it was working, it was not his moves that changed the plan. That was kind of always going to happen and was why people were saying (when a bunch of people were celebrating) that this was going to make 2014 ass. It was probably worse than most expected because no one even really attempted to fill the void.

This is what always got me about boxing marketing (promoters and TV), much to often are they focused on bringing people down to a lower level rather than raising their game to a higher level. It is really lazy, it can be kind of effective short term but longer term that bad blood totally gum up the whole works of the sport which ends up being a negative. That is what I would say the positive side of Haymon is, being silent keeps that off the table, but as in politics if you allow someone else to tell your story they will for you and it won't be near as kind. Which is a big problem for him and his fighters without a guy like Schaeffer vigorously defending them.

It is a thing that will pass though as boxing is a cycle, you are getting on your plan, working your plan, holding the plan together, the plan falling apart and finally back to getting on a new plan to start the cycle again. That is boxing success and if you can work that thing a couple of times you are Don King or Bob Arum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chino Madonna View Post
        Rather than shift the narrative to "well, what about Arum too?", our beloved TMT crew should focus on what Lampley is saying. I mean, is he wrong about a single thing in what he says? Forget Arum, focus on Haymon for a second.

Haymon has practically all the talent at 140-147 and yet can't seemingly make a decent fight. You got fighters sharing slots on a card with the promise of a fight that never happens (Garcia/Peterson). It is absolutely pathetic. HBO are still recovering from that period where Haymon was controlling everything (the Andre Berto as a Headliner years) and nearly ran them into the ground.

At that time, Showtime were regularly putting on amazing fights. I mean, they made the Super 6, FFS. Now? They're paying Adonis $1.5m for a tune-up Friday night fight. It's history repeating itself, except even worse, as now Haymon has half of boxing - and all these fighters barely fight, and so he shoves them all on one unsatisfying undercard to make sure they get paid. These fighters thinking they're making bank cos they're getting overpaid for one fight - but Uncle Al takes a cut of that, then benches them to bring out the next set of his fighters to take off the shelf for another average card. Meanwhile, these guys who are babied along, are suddenly forced into big fights they are wholly unprepared for, ie Gary Russell Jr and Wilder. When Deontay gets knocked out, he can thank Al Haymon for matching him so poorly and leaving him so completely unprepared for a good heavyweight like Stiverne.

Al Haymon is fast becoming a disaster for boxing fans.
        And the Super 4 with the bantamweights. That was an amazing couple of years.

Comment

• Facts!!!!! Preach Jim.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            And the Super 4 with the bantamweights. That was an amazing couple of years.
            You had the legendary Marquez-Vasquez trilogy.

Froch-Taylor (which HBO passed on)

Donaire-Darchinyan

Super 6

Bantamweight Tournament

Adamek vs Cunnigham 1

Tons more fights I can't even remember. But I do remember that Showtime would make the better fights for the hardcore fans, while HBO were all about fighters, who were often with over-matched opponents.

You think Haymon would let Showtime make another Super 6? A Marquez vs Vasquez trilogy?

Yeah, right.

More Badou Jack and J'Leon Love.

Comment

• Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
              Last I checked Arum didn't want to disrespect Mexicans by having Manny fight Mayweather on May 2nd. I'm sure that doesn't sound like a duck to you though.
              Normal, unbiased people know who's been blocking the fight, Hagler, Roy Jones, Holmes, Foreman, Judah, Tyson, SRL, Corley, Holyfield, Lewis, and many others. Your opinion is worth zero value.

TBH, I don't really care if TBE is blocking the fight.

I'd rather see TBE stay ducking and can't wait to see him gone. Rewarding a boring, retiring, vacationing boxer with truckloads of money for running, clinching, UD'ying will be the biggest injustice of all. I'd rather see the fight blocked and let TBE's ducking rep remain solid. Pac will make him run, anyway. It will be similar to the Mosley fight. So fight doesn't have to happen. It's a comfortable win for the world's superstar of boxing. Precisely the reason why this fight never happened. TBE is scared.

Comment

• Haymon is screwing the sport over right in front of our eyes and no-one is doing anything about it.

Any form is dissent is drowned out by the Mayweather loyalists who want us to point fingers at Arum instead. That's some funny-ass logic - forget my problems, look at my neighbour's, he's ****ed up too.

I fear for where boxing is going, I really do.

Comment

• How exactly did haymon ruin the sport? Last week Stevenson fought. I didn't watch because it was BS IMO. Haymon hurt his own fighters rep. Not the sport.

Does every bad fight ruin the sport? Did the BS on showtime make the fights on HBO or ESPN bad? Did it make BEIN sports fights with Roman Gonzalez bad? Did it make NBC cards bad? No. So stop the over the top fake anger.

If you don't like the fight or the fighters, don't watch. If you love boxing as you claim, watch the same as you do when someone other than haymon has a crap card.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                    Normal, unbiased people know who's been blocking the fight, Hagler, Roy Jones, Holmes, Foreman, Judah, Tyson, SRL, Corley, Holyfield, Lewis, and many others. Your opinion is worth zero value.

TBH, I don't really care if TBE is blocking the fight.

I'd rather see TBE stay ducking and can't wait to see him gone. Rewarding a boring, retiring, vacationing boxer with truckloads of money for running, clinching, UD'ying will be the biggest injustice of all. I'd rather see the fight blocked and let TBE's ducking rep remain solid. Pac will make him run, anyway. It will be similar to the Mosley fight. So fight doesn't have to happen. It's a comfortable win for the world's superstar of boxing. Precisely the reason why this fight never happened. TBE is scared.
                    Sorry but all of their opinions were debunked by the man himself Freddie Roach. He has revealed who really dropped the ball when it truly mattered so you and all the others are obsolete.

Comment

• Obviously, HBO was deeply butt-hurt when Floyd walked .....

Comment

Working...
                      X