No announcement yet.

Wladimir and Tysons bench press

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by check hook View Post
    Lifting alot is irrelevant in terms of punching power imho. Sometimes guys who can lift can punch hard, other times not so much. I believe SSM max was 300pounds or 136kg. I remember because when i used to bench press regularly (two times a week) my max was 140kg or 310 pounds and i weighed around 195-200 pounds, and i obvioulsly thought it was ridiculous a 147-154 pounder was benching 136kg. I wasn't on roids though, or even supplements for that matter. Incidentally i'm heavy handed in both hands and have always been even when i first put gloves on and hit a heavy bag when technique needed refinement.

Tyson would bench quite alot imho. Shorter guys are always better power lifters and on bench press.

A great test of muscular strength and endurance is benching 75% of your bodyweight for 30 or more reps.
    I absolutely agree; there's no correlation between how much you can lift and how hard you can punch. I don't think anyone has insinuated there is. The TS asked a question and some of us offered our opinions. It's kind of interesting (at least to me) to know how strong some of these guys are in the gym, since many of us lift weights.

I've always likened the ability to punch hard to the ability to throw hard. You don't have to be physically strong to do either one. There are string beans that can throw 100 MPH, and there are scrawny guys that can punch a hole through a wall. It's essentially a gift. Sure, you can work on either one and improve; but only those born with innate ability will ever be exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      I'm going from memory here (I have the book in storage somewhere). As I recall, Peter Heller wrote in "Bad Intentions: The Mike Tyson Story" that Mike benched 225 ten times when he was fifteen. Supposedly, Tyson had never lifted weights before.

I'm not sure I buy that story, but I certainly believe that Tyson is a strong bastard. I wouldn't doubt if he could bench 400 for reps as an adult, if he's been training. (Sorry I don't have any hard facts for you.)

Wlad's numbers are pretty impressive. He's a big dude, and he looks like he trains with weights. I'm not surprised at his lifts in the bench.
      Man I think you have a badass sig. I don't give a ****, that **** is awesome.

Comment

I bet Tyson could lift more than Wlad in his prime.

Comment

I heard Tyson could bench press an aircraft carrier.

i have no source though so you'll just have to take my word on it

Comment

I absolutely agree; there's no correlation between how much you can lift and how hard you can punch. I don't think anyone has insinuated there is. The TS asked a question and some of us offered our opinions. It's kind of interesting (at least to me) to know how strong some of these guys are in the gym, since many of us lift weights.

I've always likened the ability to punch hard to the ability to throw hard. You don't have to be physically strong to do either one. There are string beans that can throw 100 MPH, and there are scrawny guys that can punch a hole through a wall. It's essentially a gift. Sure, you can work on either one and improve; but only those born with innate ability will ever be exceptional.
            I disagree. I think there is a correlation between the two, though not a very clear cut one, because punching power is after all a result of many other factors as well like speed, timing, technique etc. Nonetheless, a very powerful guy is at the very least going to have the muscular drive to keep his fist moving through another's skull without much loss of momentum. In other words, they're going to be heavy handed. Look at Foreman.

In fact, if you care to take it outside the realm of boxing for a moment, look at someone like Bob Sapp or Brock Lesnar. Despite lacking anything approaching decent boxing form they're still able to knock fighters out with slow and crudely throw arm punches. Would their punches have that same effect if they were of average strength? I sincerely doubt it.

Of course strength isn't a necessity to hard punching, but it is a contributing factor.

Comment

Tyson had a good physique for bench pressing

Short arms and powerful torso

Post prison Tyson could definitely lift more than any of the K bros and prime Tyson as well

Comment

Originally posted by PUK_MY_DANG_34 View Post
                Man I think you have a badass sig. I don't give a ****, that **** is awesome.
                Thanks, brother. I think it's pretty cool, too.

Comment

Tyson trained under D'Amato. An old school guy like Cus probably frowned upon weightlifting. I don't know if Mike actually lifted when he was fighting. I only know the story of him lifting as a teenager. Post-boxing Tyson lifted (or still lifts). I've seen footage. I've even heard him say that he goes to the gym (and lifts) because he's "vain."
                  I know Tyson was lifting when he was in prison. Before that I couldn't say but I agree with the D'Amato influence it's unlikely he did it alot before he went to the joint.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
                    I disagree. I think there is a correlation between the two, though not a very clear cut one, because punching power is after all a result of many other factors as well like speed, timing, technique etc. Nonetheless, a very powerful guy is at the very least going to have the muscular drive to keep his fist moving through another's skull without much loss of momentum. In other words, they're going to be heavy handed. Look at Foreman.

In fact, if you care to take it outside the realm of boxing for a moment, look at someone like Bob Sapp or Brock Lesnar. Despite lacking anything approaching decent boxing form they're still able to knock fighters out with slow and crudely throw arm punches. Would their punches have that same effect if they were of average strength? I sincerely doubt it.

Of course strength isn't a necessity to hard punching, but it is a contributing factor.
                    You're right to some extent. It's more correct to say, "There's little correlation between how much you can lift and how hard you can punch." Obviously, all things being equal, strength can only add to punching power.

The examples you give are of men who are not only strong, but exceptionally large. I submit that it's their sheer body mass that allows them to throw forceful punches, not purely their strength. In fact, their strength would diminish greatly if they were to lose substantial weight. It's the main reason for weight classes in boxing and, indeed, weightlifting: body mass typically allows one to generate more power.

Comment

no way in hell these guys are benching that much unless it's a hobby in between fights (which it isn't / wasn't)
                      tyson lifted weights later in his career, but not in his prime.

that's enough weight to do horrible damage. there' no reason for it, considering that an injury could derail your million dollar paydays, or even your entire career.

i'd say no to the way. those numbers sound funky.

i seriously doubt they even bench, and if they do it's for high reps.

in his prime tyson held a very old school type training camp

sparring, work on the bags, running, shadowboxing, skipping rope, etc.
                      Last edited by New England; 09-01-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X