This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
    I was not very impressed with Pintor in the Sandoval fight, Alberto was past it by the time Pintor got to him and Pintor still wasn't able to put him away. The Davila fight was one of the best technical wars you'll ever see and has become a favorite of mine, in a lot of ways I find it more entertaining then the Gomez war. I've yet to see his with Meza so I can't comment. Great line-up of fights man, you really know how to pick-em.
    Pintor had problems with movers, which Sandoval and Davila were. What made Pintor such an entertaining fighter was his ability to get stronger as the fight went on and his vulnerability on defense which gave his opponent a chance to win. The fight with gomez was a war, as they stood toe to toe for the entire fight. In the davila fight, Pintor had to cut the ring off and force davila to fight, which after the 8th round, he did.

Comment

• I am watching the early fights of Holyfields career. I always wondered if he had fought Spinks for the LHW title what would have happened? Holyfield probably could have been the only fighter to win the triple crown: Light Heavyweight, Cruiserweight, and Heavyweight titles.

I also wonder when he was DQ in the olympics for hitting after a break did the ref say "Stop", i thought the DQ was questionable.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
        Pintor had problems with movers, which Sandoval and Davila were. What made Pintor such an entertaining fighter was his ability to get stronger as the fight went on and his vulnerability on defense which gave his opponent a chance to win. The fight with gomez was a war, as they stood toe to toe for the entire fight. In the davila fight, Pintor had to cut the ring off and force davila to fight, which after the 8th round, he did.
        Pintor kind of forced Davila into a more mobile style, in a lot of the Davila fights I've seen he liked to stand in the pocket, make you miss and counter with sharp shots, against Pintor that would of been a mistake and he didn't make it for the most part, BTW who did you have winning the fight? I scored it for Davila but it could be bias because I'm a big fan of Davila. Pintor was always going to have problems with movers though, one thing I really like about Pintor though is that he really showed the difference between pressuring a fighter as opposed to just following them and it seems a lot of people don't really know the difference, no matter what you did against Pintor you had to work and it made his style very effective.

I think a prime Gomez would of handled Pintor much easier than he did when they fought. It would of always been a tough fight but if you watch some early Gomez and then the Pintor fight it was very apparent that he didn't have the lateral movement and footwork that were trademarks of his younger days. I would of still been a very tough fight because like you said Pintor's best rounds were second half of a fifteen. Pintor shoul have some consideration for one of the P4P best chins as well, it was really incredible watching him walk through all of Gomez's punches without flinching for the most part of their fight, it was really sudden and suprising when he started getting hurt. I liked how he was right where Gomez wanted him and he was still laying a beating on Gomez.

One thing that annoys me of when a lot of people talk of Pintor is that they label him as just an ultra tough brawler, I was real impressed the first time I watched him of how compact and precise his punches were and how well he put combinations together. He was no defensive genius by any stretch of the imagination but he is a far call from the Tonna's and the Roldan's of the world.

Also how do you see a fight with Pintor and Chandler going, honestly it would be hard for me to pick a winner though I haven't seen half as much of Chandler as I have of Pintor so you could probably shed some light on this for me.

Comment

Pintor kind of forced Davila into a more mobile style, in a lot of the Davila fights I've seen he liked to stand in the pocket, make you miss and counter with sharp shots, against Pintor that would of been a mistake and he didn't make it for the most part, BTW who did you have winning the fight? I scored it for Davila but it could be bias because I'm a big fan of Davila. Pintor was always going to have problems with movers though, one thing I really like about Pintor though is that he really showed the difference between pressuring a fighter as opposed to just following them and it seems a lot of people don't really know the difference, no matter what you did against Pintor you had to work and it made his style very effective.

I think a prime Gomez would of handled Pintor much easier than he did when they fought. It would of always been a tough fight but if you watch some early Gomez and then the Pintor fight it was very apparent that he didn't have the lateral movement and footwork that were trademarks of his younger days. I would of still been a very tough fight because like you said Pintor's best rounds were second half of a fifteen. Pintor shoul have some consideration for one of the P4P best chins as well, it was really incredible watching him walk through all of Gomez's punches without flinching for the most part of their fight, it was really sudden and suprising when he started getting hurt. I liked how he was right where Gomez wanted him and he was still laying a beating on Gomez.

One thing that annoys me of when a lot of people talk of Pintor is that they label him as just an ultra tough brawler, I was real impressed the first time I watched him of how compact and precise his punches were and how well he put combinations together. He was no defensive genius by any stretch of the imagination but he is a far call from the Tonna's and the Roldan's of the world.

Also how do you see a fight with Pintor and Chandler going, honestly it would be hard for me to pick a winner though I haven't seen half as much of Chandler as I have of Pintor so you could probably shed some light on this for me.
          Your assessment of Pintor is on the money. he was a master of cutting off the ring, and had a helluva chin. he came after Zarate for the entire 15 rounds, when no one did, despite the fact that Zarate was robbed, Pintor was the aggressor throughout. In the Davila fight, i had Davila up 5 rounds to 3 after 8. I gave Pintor the last 7 rounds, as they stood toe to toe and Pintor landed the harder and more effective punches. he didn't allow davila to keep moving because of his cutting off the ring. Pintor was like a smaller version of Saad Muhammad and Mike Weaver, two slow starters who if they got you late in the fight, you were in trouble. I give Chandler the edge if the two fought because of his left jab and crushing right cross. Pintor had trouble defending the right, and if Chandler caught him, it could be lights out. Pintor had serious problems with Johnny Owen, and Owen was no Chandler. Go to youtube and watch Chandler's fights with Julain Solis, Johnny Carter and Ejiro Murata.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
            Your assessment of Pintor is on the money. he was a master of cutting off the ring, and had a helluva chin. he came after Zarate for the entire 15 rounds, when no one did, despite the fact that Zarate was robbed, Pintor was the aggressor throughout. In the Davila fight, i had Davila up 5 rounds to 3 after 8. I gave Pintor the last 7 rounds, as they stood toe to toe and Pintor landed the harder and more effective punches. he didn't allow davila to keep moving because of his cutting off the ring. Pintor was like a smaller version of Saad Muhammad and Mike Weaver, two slow starters who if they got you late in the fight, you were in trouble. I give Chandler the edge if the two fought because of his left jab and crushing right cross. Pintor had trouble defending the right, and if Chandler caught him, it could be lights out. Pintor had serious problems with Johnny Owen, and Owen was no Chandler. Go to youtube and watch Chandler's fights with Julain Solis, Johnny Carter and Ejiro Murata.
            I'll watch his fight with Davila again as soon as I get the chance as well as his fight with Owen (correct me if I'm wrong but Owen was the fighter who died of injuries sustained in his fight with Pintor?). I've seen Chandler's first two fights with Murata (I actually posted his first fight on YT myself) and from what I remember the things that impressed me the most about Chandler were his durability, jab and conditioning (he never looked tired at all in the first fight, he just had this look of intensity through the whole fight). His power didn't really show in the first fight (though in all fairness Murata was a very, very tough fighter from what I've seen and I remember someone saying Chandler didn't really get his big punch until late in his career) and the fight was ugly and awkward times but Chandler showed real class against him and showed he was the better fighter in the rematches. I'll check out those fights as soon as I can which by the way JMC617 posted a lot of Chandler fights on the BaltazarBrothersII channel.

Murata is an interesting case, gave a prime Chandler and a prime Pintor some very tough and close fights and the point could be argued that he won at least one against each man. The guy had a hard style to figure out if memory serves correctly and was as tough and strong as they come. It would be real interesting to see him in today's bantamweight mix.

Here's the link to the YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BaltazarBrothersII

Comment

• salvador sanchez vs wilfredo gomez,on paper this should of been a very competitive fight but for me sanchez totally dominated a feared fighter .

jose napoles vs emile griffith , napoles puts in a superb performance here and on my card wins by a wide margin

Comment

I'll watch his fight with Davila again as soon as I get the chance as well as his fight with Owen (correct me if I'm wrong but Owen was the fighter who died of injuries sustained in his fight with Pintor?). I've seen Chandler's first two fights with Murata (I actually posted his first fight on YT myself) and from what I remember the things that impressed me the most about Chandler were his durability, jab and conditioning (he never looked tired at all in the first fight, he just had this look of intensity through the whole fight). His power didn't really show in the first fight (though in all fairness Murata was a very, very tough fighter from what I've seen and I remember someone saying Chandler didn't really get his big punch until late in his career) and the fight was ugly and awkward times but Chandler showed real class against him and showed he was the better fighter in the rematches. I'll check out those fights as soon as I can which by the way JMC617 posted a lot of Chandler fights on the BaltazarBrothersII channel.

Murata is an interesting case, gave a prime Chandler and a prime Pintor some very tough and close fights and the point could be argued that he won at least one against each man. The guy had a hard style to figure out if memory serves correctly and was as tough and strong as they come. It would be real interesting to see him in today's bantamweight mix.

Here's the link to the YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BaltazarBrothersII
                Yes, Owen died in that fight. I remember when he went down that he looked dead when he hit the canvas. I wish JMC617 would make those fights available for download on this site. Murata was one of the best fighters who never won a title. He fought to a draw with both Chandler and Murata, and the only 2 losses on his record were to Chandler. Chandler is one of my favorite fighters of all time and would love to have more fights of his in my collection. As always, you are on point with your analysis. You and Dynamite's critiques make this my favorite post on this section.

Comment

• Originally posted by rsf View Post
                  salvador sanchez vs wilfredo gomez,on paper this should of been a very competitive fight but for me sanchez totally dominated a feared fighter .

jose napoles vs emile griffith , napoles puts in a superb performance here and on my card wins by a wide margin
                  Is Napoles vs Griffith on You Tube?

Comment

• Watched Nicolino Locche vs Carlos Hernandez, including all 15 rounds.

Great fight I thought, Hernandez the former champion was a boxer with fair skills but due to frustration from not being able to land a glove on Locche for the last 10 rounds had devolved into a wild slugger by the end of the fight. Locche made opponents look bad.

In the 2nd round, Hernandez caught Locche with an overhand right as Locche was aggressively responding with a flurry of punches to Hernandez's holding & hitting and then a punch that seemed to land on the back of Locche's head. Locche went down hard from another right hand but the bell sounded and Hernandez was not able to follow up.

Locche put on a defense and counter-punching clinic from that point onwards. At one point in the fight, Hernandez lost his cool and threw a near 100 punch flurry which did little but exhaust Hernandez himself. In the last two rounds, Hernandez tired badly, was knocked down and seemed to be almost out on his feet several times but he managed to survive to the final bell.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                      Watched Nicolino Locche vs Carlos Hernandez, including all 15 rounds.

Great fight I thought, Hernandez the former champion was a boxer with fair skills but due to frustration from not being able to land a glove on Locche for the last 10 rounds had devolved into a wild slugger by the end of the fight. Locche made opponents look bad.

In the 2nd round, Hernandez caught Locche with an overhand right as Locche was aggressively responding with a flurry of punches to Hernandez's holding & hitting and then a punch that seemed to land on the back of Locche's head. Locche went down hard from another right hand but the bell sounded and Hernandez was not able to follow up.

Locche put on a defense and counter-punching clinic from that point onwards. At one point in the fight, Hernandez lost his cool and threw a near 100 punch flurry which did little but exhaust Hernandez himself. In the last two rounds, Hernandez tired badly, was knocked down and seemed to be almost out on his feet several times but he managed to survive to the final bell.
                      A, Why sometimes do you just never answer my questions?

I asked you a question about MMA, and you just never responded?

Comment

Working...
                      X