Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thomas hearns beats ray robinson at welterweight....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu View Post
    Hearns would start fast, and maybe lead as far as into the championship rounds (13, 14, 15) but he is going to slow down and get hit, and with Robinson coming on strong in the later rounds, landing power punches, Tommy is going to crumble and get stopped.
    do people realize that the leonard fight was the only welter fight hearns faded in, it was also the longest he went....leonards face was all swole up from hearns jab, its pure speculation as to if robinson could do the same as leonard...

Comment

Hearns didn't look too great in the late rounds against Randy Shields either but he did manage to win by TKO:

I don't however buy that Hearns was necessarily "chinny". He was completely spent by the time Leonard stopped him in the 14th round.

Robinson usually did well against the taller opponents that he fought. As an example the very underrated "Sugar" George Costner was over 6 feet tall, 147 lbs and had wins over many great fighters. Robinson twice knocked him out in the very first round.

A picture of George Costner:

California Jackie Wilson and Kid Gavilan were both 5'11, as tall as Robinson.

Pictures of the Robinson-Gavilan bouts:

Look at the pace Robinson kept up in the later rounds against Jake LaMotta:

Pictures of the Robinson-Wilson fight:

0:35

Top rated middleweight contender Ray Barnes seemed as tall or taller than Robinson but Ray outboxed him to win a 10 round decision:

4:15
      Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Hearns is my favorite welter and would have a great chance vs SRR. too bad his chin sometimes failed him.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
          I know there is no film of SRR at welterweight. I was waiting to see what he said.

EVERYBODY who saw SRR at welterweight said he was much better than at Middleweight!

You said you recal seeing him "nearly" get knocked out....I "Did see" Hearns getting KO'd.

Are ALL of the pfp list wrong? I NEVER saw a pfp list with Hearns ahead of SRR.

If Thomas Hearns even dreams of beating SRR,he should wake up and apalogize.
          Slimey Limey, dude you sound like a dam fool who knows nothing about boxing. More like Slim Shady can't rap but rather use profanity. Robinson would have knocked Hearns out before the 4th round. I get sick and tired of so many young kids that think they know it all. Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest of all times and Hearns would have lost against Kid Gavilan, Tommy Bell and so many other fighters. Stick to being slimy and keep your thoughts inside your tight little head fool!!!!!!!

Comment

Look up him vs sammy angott george cliff tony freddie valentine andy nonnels and tony ancona Dykes,same obsolete tech and flaws as the older one that fought gene/jake/joey and others

So no ray wouldnt win nobody made pro fighting like that in 70s-80s cause they were obsolete,they look like novices,anybody who said ray isn't sane or ascended

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended View Post
              Look up him vs sammy angott george cliff tony freddie valentine andy nonnels and tony ancona Dykes,same obsolete tech and flaws as the older one that fought gene/jake/joey and others

So no ray wouldnt win nobody made pro fighting like that in 70s-80s cause they were obsolete,they look like novices,anybody who said ray isn't sane or ascended

Comment

Another rotting corpse of a thread thrown onto our porches.

Comment

Originally posted by billionaire View Post
                  thomas hearns would have been the greatest welter ever if not for the ray leonard loss, and he was still up on rounds....thomas hearns at welterweight is the best boxer/puncher ive ever seen...its a complete myth he didnt perform in big fights just because he lost to leonard and hearns, he ko'd cuevas one of the best kos ever, and trashed duran....i personally think ray leonard was a smarter fighter than robinson, robinson would probably need 5 fights to get the edge on hearns...how many tall fighters like hearns did srr fight? were any of them one shot killers?

take the prime robinson vs prime hearns at 147 hearns wins...
                  But he DID have that loss.
                  Who beat Robinson at welterweight?
                  Did Hearns ever concede 10lbs to the no2 middleweight and beat him?
                  Did he ever concede16lbs to the number 6 middleweight and beat him?
                  Did he ever concede 12lbs to the number5 middleweight and beat him?
                  Robinson did.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    Hearns didn't look too great in the late rounds against Randy Shields either but he did manage to win by TKO:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iBmdTuBrucA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iBmdTuBrucA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't however buy that Hearns was necessarily "chinny". He was completely spent by the time Leonard stopped him in the 14th round.

Robinson usually did well against the taller opponents that he fought. As an example the very underrated "Sugar" George Costner was over 6 feet tall, 147 lbs and had wins over many great fighters. Robinson twice knocked him out in the very first round.

A picture of George Costner:

California Jackie Wilson and Kid Gavilan were both 5'11, as tall as Robinson.

Pictures of the Robinson-Gavilan bouts:

Look at the pace Robinson kept up in the later rounds against Jake LaMotta:

<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GNcO4xXKRGQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GNcO4xXKRGQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Pictures of the Robinson-Wilson fight:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i3ea5b61cuU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i3ea5b61cuU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                    0:35

Top rated middleweight contender Ray Barnes seemed as tall or taller than Robinson but Ray outboxed him to win a 10 round decision:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XYdJs70pg14&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XYdJs70pg14&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                    4:15
                    And look at the weight Ray was conceding to Lamotta.

Comment

Why the necromancy?

Comment

Working...
                      X