No announcement yet.

Why Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC

Did you hear this story? Probably an urban myth, I read it in a book, American Gods. It says the company changed its name because they didn't use CHICKENS anymore, but some kind of artificially made freak-chickens. They were afraid someone might sue them if they found out, so they just became KFC.

KFC freaky chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
      Did you hear this story? Probably an urban myth, I read it in a book, American Gods. It says the company changed its name because they didn't use CHICKENS anymore, but some kind of artificially made freak-chickens. They were afraid someone might sue them if they found out, so they just became KFC.
      i saw a documentary about this fifteen years ago. made me a vegetarian for about a year. lol

Comment

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
        Nope, That is an urban legend

Raising chickens that have been genetically modified so that they are born without beaks, feathers, or feet, or with additional legs is still beyond the reach of modern science for the time being (although selective breeding has been used to enhance some features, such as breast size). Also, the claims about Kentucky Fried Chicken's name change are easily belied:

Links on KFC's web site (such as kentuckyfriedchicken.com clearly describe its product as "chicken" numerous times, something it could hardly get away with if the government were prohibiting the company from using that word.) KFC sells the equivalent of 736 million chickens annually. They'd have to own some monstrously huge "chicken farms" in order to supply themselves with well over half a billion chickens every year.

As well, KFC is but one component of Tricon, a corporation that also includes the Taco Bell and Pizza Hut chains of restaurants. All of these outlets serve chicken and obtain their supplies through the same sources, which would require Tricon to operate an even more massively huge series of "mutant chicken" farms to keep its restaurants fully supplied.

Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to change its name to KFC in 1991 for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with governmental regulations about mutant animals:
        * A move to de-emphasize "chicken" because KFC planned to offer a varied menu that included other types of food.
        *A desire to eliminate the word "fried," which has negative connotations to the increasingly health-conscious consumer market.
        *A recent trend towards the abbreviation of long commercial titles, as demonstrated by other companies' employing shortened forms of their names, such as The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and Howard Johnson's (HoJo).
        Source(s):

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.asp

Comment

I read something a while ago where it said the chickens KFC use are kept in appalling conditions and are injected with something to shrink their bones.

Comment

Originally posted by OG Keown View Post
              I read something a while ago where it said the chickens KFC use are kept in appalling conditions and are injected with something to shrink their bones.
              yeah conditions are really bad, there is a video showing the conditions.

Comment

man...i was waiting for a punch line....red K sent

Comment

interesting info!

Comment

Originally posted by tim horton View Post
                    Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
                    Nope, That is an urban legend

Raising chickens that have been genetically modified so that they are born without beaks, feathers, or feet, or with additional legs is still beyond the reach of modern science for the time being (although selective breeding has been used to enhance some features, such as breast size). Also, the claims about Kentucky Fried Chicken's name change are easily belied:

Links on KFC's web site (such as kentuckyfriedchicken.com clearly describe its product as "chicken" numerous times, something it could hardly get away with if the government were prohibiting the company from using that word.) KFC sells the equivalent of 736 million chickens annually. They'd have to own some monstrously huge "chicken farms" in order to supply themselves with well over half a billion chickens every year.

As well, KFC is but one component of Tricon, a corporation that also includes the Taco Bell and Pizza Hut chains of restaurants. All of these outlets serve chicken and obtain their supplies through the same sources, which would require Tricon to operate an even more massively huge series of "mutant chicken" farms to keep its restaurants fully supplied.

Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to change its name to KFC in 1991 for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with governmental regulations about mutant animals:
                    * A move to de-emphasize "chicken" because KFC planned to offer a varied menu that included other types of food.
                    *A desire to eliminate the word "fried," which has negative connotations to the increasingly health-conscious consumer market.
                    *A recent trend towards the abbreviation of long commercial titles, as demonstrated by other companies' employing shortened forms of their names, such as The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and Howard Johnson's (HoJo).
                    Source(s):
                    what he said... I think a lot of people believe the myth tho

Comment

Working...
                    X