No announcement yet.

What Boxers Don't Lift Weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Boxers Don't Lift Weights?

Currently. I know Carl Froch dosen't. Any others?

I should think most of them don't. It's all about having a lean and ripped fighting frame. If you've been training for boxing twenty years and don't have a chest like a prime Arnie there is a reason for that - it would be counterproductive!

Comment

Originally posted by Shattered Jaw View Post
      I should think most of them don't. It's all about having a lean and ripped fighting frame. If you've been training for boxing twenty years and don't have a chest like a prime Arnie there is a reason for that - it would be counterproductive!
      Alot of boxers actually do lift weight.

David Haye, Lucian Bute, Ricky Hatton, John Murray, etc etc. Heck even Archie Moore did.

Comment

Weights play a bigger part in Boxing nowadays than people think, loads of people come up with bull**** like "it slows you down", it doesn't if you know how to use them, think about it if your doing press ups, pullups, etc. your still pushing and pulling on a weighted resistance, using weights is no different providing you use them properly, a lot of people are ignorant and just go with what some others think when reality is a lot of the stuff people come out with is bull****.

As shattered glass just said, of course you don't need a ripped chest like Arnie, but at the end of the day if your doing that sort of weight training whilst Boxing then you don't know what your doing, you do weights to gain strength within your weight class, explosiveness, endurance, etc. There are different types of weight training, many different types.

Comment

Joe calazaghe............i think pacquiao doesnt as well............

Comment

I would imagine light lifting is preferable, meaning light weights, more reps, rather than heavy lifting. I think that's obvious actually.

Comment

Mayweather?? He looks scrawny and very weak recently. CAn't think of any others.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                I would imagine light lifting is preferable, meaning light weights, more reps, rather than heavy lifting. I think that's obvious actually.
                Depends what your working on, I think light weight high rep is more muscle endurance, and high weight very low rep is like maximal strength which helps you build on explosiveness (power).

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

Little website that goes into some more detail, parts of it I don't understand well... but still backs up the point that weights in Boxing isn't as bad as people may think.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
                  and high weight very low rep is like maximal strength which helps you build on explosiveness (power).
                  which COULD make you end up like Jean Pascal

Comment

mayweather

Comment

Working...
                    X