No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. Thomas Oosthuizen at 168

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    Oosthuizen and his team initially turned down a 164lb catchweight fight saying that they wouldn't be able to make the weight so Golovkin said **** it and agreed to 168.

Golovkin is everything good about boxing but is confronted with everything bad about it having carefully managed fighters unwilling to fight him because he's viewed as too much risk. Martinez, Chavez, Geale, Quillin, Sturm, N'jikam and a long list of contenders all unwilling.
    Dude, you act like 3G is the only one in boxing to take chances. Sergio crawled around in obscurity for years until making a name for himself..........he has earned the right to chase the big paydays. He wouldn't be fighting guys 4 inches taller than himself, outweighing him by 10-15 pounds and younger than him by over 10 years if he was scared of people.

If they fought, your boy would lose. Don't know about those other guys but Sergio would have no issue fighting him from a capability/confidence standpoint......Sergio is near the top of the game now and is only going to fight PPV fights from now on against big names.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
      And agree with Tunney that hbo **** over foreign fighters while protecting hype jobs like berto
      That's BS, Chavez Jr was one of the most overhyped and overprotected fighters in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
        Yeah, we expect boxers to be willing to fight anyone, anywhere, yet when someone is they just get dicked around and put into stupid fights like this.

The guy is a MW champion who can fight at 154, so they ask him to fight a prospect at 168, ridiculous.

How do you know this?

Comment

I think Andre Ward smashes any and every fighter from 160 to 175.

Comment

http://www.***************.net/2012/...-as-talks.html

A proposed move up to 168lbs for middleweight king Gennady Golovkin may not materialize after all as potential opponent Thomas Oosthuizen’s manager Rodney Berman recently told WBN that negotiations have hit a snag.

Kazakhstan’s Golovkin, 30, holds two world titles at 160lbs, cementing his position recently with a fifth round stoppage win over EBU belt holder Grzegorz Proksa, and sounded out IBO champion Oosthiuzen as a port of call for his first move up to the weight divisions.

Golden Gloves boss Berman says that things are far from complete for a January bout though, and is holding negotiations with other possible suitors for what would be the South African’s seventh world title defence.

“The bout is still under negotiation,” Berman told World Boxing News. “It will be great for the game if it is finalised. From Oosthuizen's point of view, he would have no problem taking the fight and would welcome beating Golovkin.

“Tommy knows his chance to prove his incredible talent (against the best) will be coming soon, be it against Golovkin or another fighter.

“I think at the moment, the election and floods are delaying matters, but if the fight doesn’t happen, I have other plans in place for Tommy anyway.”

24 year-old Oosthiuzen has an impending title defence against Fulgencio Zuniga to deal with before Golovkin can even be contemplated and needs to impress on Saturday night in Gauteng to keep big fight dreams alive.
            I'm hoping the fight won't happen, because it's not in the best interests of either fighter. GGG should fight a middleweight like Macklin, Lee or Quillan on HBO Jan 19, and Tommy should fight a super-middleweight contender like one of the Dirrell brothers or Bika.

Comment

Ggg should absolutely not take this fight, but i'll he watching if it goes down. Geale is a fat poosie, depriving boxing of the fight with gennady.

Its really a no win for either fighter.

Comment

I'll put my neck on the line and say I don't see anyone including the guy in my avatar beating 3G at 160.

At one 168 I can see him being almost as dominating with anyone who's name is not Ward.

This guy spars cruiser's and heavyweights and hurts them, yer these are not world class cruiser's but he knows how to fight being the smaller man.

Another thing is, power is power and I think his power could hurt anyone including Ward at 168.

Would love to see how Froch's chin would stand up to 3G's power especially as he is reasonably easy to hit.

Dirrell would never fight this guy probably claiming he's not a draw, which is pot, kettle, black etc.

Bute would get knocked out again, Kessler the list goes on of guys at 168 who have nothing that really tells me they can stump his power, that doubled with the fact that his skills are not exactly scruffy snd the fact that he walks through shots Golovkin would be a beast at 168 he obviously can't get a fight at 160.

Comment

Working...
                X