Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The power of the commentary of a fight is...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The power of the commentary of a fight is...

...pretty incredible.
    I give 2 examples of fights I watched in the last 12 months: Oscar de la Hoya vs Felix Trinidad and the MMA fight between Jon Fitch and Demian Maia.
    Here we have Tito vs Oscar: In my opinion Oscar ran from Tito the whole 12 rounds and only in the last 3 rounds it was so excessive that even the HBO commentators couldn't help commentating on it. Watch the first 9 rounds of Tito vs Oscar first WITH commentary and then on mute. You will realise that Foreman, Lampley and Merchant make it look like Oscar is schooling Tito. Oscar runs from Tito a whole round and at the end he throws and lands one jab and Foreman gets all excited and tells us how unbelievable Oscar's jab is and so on.

Honestly, Oscar was the number 1 star in boxing back then and the commentators were hyping him to an unheard of degree. In my opinion Oscar clearly lost that fight. Some rounds were close but the bottom line is in basically every single round Tito was pressing forward, throwing punches, and sometimes landing them. While Oscar was basically moving away the whole 3 minutes every round without throwing anything except sometimes punches which were not even meant to connect and never came close to Tito' face or body. Then at the end of a round he threw a combo to steal the round. And I checked compubox for e.g. round 6 in which Oscar supposedly threw 55 punches and supposedly landed 29 of them. I counted 37 punches and half of those were not real punches, he was just sticking his hand out or throwing air jabs. So basically he threw maybe half of those 37 punches and landed maybe 10 of them.
    Main point is it is crazy how the HBO commentary can influence the audience and this fight proves it because in my opinion Oscar did not win a single round CLEARLY in the whole fight. The commentators tell you that Oscar is winning the rounds and when you ignore the commentary, you have the feeling that Trinidad is in reality winning them.

And now I will give my 2nd example of a fight in which the commentators influence the audience: the UFC fight between Jon Fitch and Demain Maia which happened in February of 2013. - At the beginning of the fight Fitch sticks his hand out to Maia to touch gloves as a sign of sportsmanship and Maia touches it and immediately shoots for the takedown - and gets it. That is basically the same as a ("legal") suckerpunch and it influenced the whole fight because Fitch had to fight Maia off of his back the whole fight. Fitch had to carry Maia's weight almost the whole first round when he tried to get up and Maia was still on his back trying to choke him. And my point is that the commentators Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg did not mention what Maia did. They did not mention that Maia touched gloves and immediately started the fight by getting the takedown (which of course surprised Fitch and that is probably the reason Maia got the takedown because Fitch is a great wrestler). After the fight I went on a big MMA forum and posted a thread in which I mentioned what Maia did and I also saw later 2 other threads who said something like "I lost all respect for Maia for what he did....".
    And I remember that at least half of the people who posted in those threads had no idea what the TS is talking about. They said "I didn't catch that" or "I missed that in the fight". Yet it was so obvious to see. And I think the reason is that we are brainwashed by what the commentators tell us. And Rogan is known as a good commentator and people believe what he says. So when he doesn't mention something then it is "not true" or "not there".
    Last edited by Salardo; 11-29-2013, 12:14 PM.

Oh yeah for sure, agree with everything you said, sometimes commentators get maybe a little bit too excited and start seeing the fight only from 1 perspective

Comment

Commentary is very influential in the way that fans perceive a fight, particularly when the fan isn't particularly confident in his own boxing knowledge.

Now I thought that Oscar was winning many of the early rounds in the Tito fight but agree that HBO was framing it like it was a one-sided drubbing when it wasn't. Many of the rounds could've gone either way.

I like to think of the commentary as being part of the entertainment, but I usually steer clear of allowing it to manufacture my perception of what is going on in the ring. With the newer crop of commentators, that is much easier to accomplish.

Comment

Commentary has a huge influence, even on hardcore boxing fans.

Comment

That's the one that bothers me most, the Oscar-Tito fight and till this day people call that a robbery.

Comment

has never once influenced me, but i can tell alot of fans almost defocus their eyes and just let the commentary have it's way with them

some of these guys might aswell be listening through the radio

Comment

Your own commentary led me to briefly believe that Tito was robbed, then I remember I watched the fight and I had it close for Oscar. You're right it's pretty powerful.

Comment

Oscar made Tito look like an amateur. Deal with it.

Comment

more important factor i think is your mindset/perspective going into a fight, a big underdog shocks you and snaps you out of your "he's gonna get destoryed" zone, but now you've been taken to the other "he's doing super good" extreme and the underdog landing one punch means he is dominating, if he wins he'll get huge hype, if he loses he was robbed

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                    more important factor i think is your mindset/perspective going into a fight, a big underdog shocks you and snaps you out of your "he's gonna get destoryed" zone, but now you've been taken to the other "he's doing super good" extreme and the underdog landing one punch means he is dominating, if he wins he'll get huge hype, if he loses he was robbed
                    Great post.

Comment

Working...
                    X