David Haye helped a student do his homework

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Haye helped a student do his homework

Haye gets a lot of bad press, here is a story of him not being a dick

Struggling with his college coursework, A-level student Gilbert Darko sat in a coffee shop frantic with worry.

The deadline for his “Motivation in Sport” assignment was looming and he had written only a few words.

Then Gilbert looked up… to see former heavyweight world champion boxer David Haye pulling up a chair.

Asking if he could help, the I’m A Celeb star shared his experiences on motivation and agreed to tutor 18-year-old Gilbert and his cousin.

The meetings that followed resulted in the lads winning top marks from flabbergasted teachers.

In their chats the star, known as the Hayemaker, let his guard down and spoke of his regret over his brawl with rival Dereck Chisora.

He also told how listening to jazz helped him cope with pressure.

Gilbert recalled: “I was struggling with the assignment, thinking, ‘How on earth am I going to do this?’

“I looked up and thought I saw David Haye. I said to myself it must be someone else. But as I was working on my stuff, he came over and said, ‘Do you need help? I couldn’t believe my luck and said to him, ‘Actually, yes, I do need some help.’”

The former WBA champ read through his work, making comments and giving tips on motivation. “He was only there five minutes but he said I was on the right road and to keep going,” Gilbert said.

He rushed back to Hayes School in West London and told his cousin Jeremy – also in his class – what had happened.

Jeremy treated the story as a joke but went with Gilbert to study in the Costa coffee shop three weeks later.

Jeremy said: “We were doing our work and all of a sudden David Haye came in again and spotted us. He asked Gilbert if he was on the same assignment.

“We said we both were and were both stuck. He sat down with us and started reading our work. I was speechless.”

David told the pair how he regretted his infamous brawl with Chisora at a press conference but used it for motivation in the subsequent fight.

Gilbert said: “He said it should never have happened and that he really regrets losing his boxing licence. He told us what he does on the day of a fight and how it motivates him.”

David said he starts the day with a jog, goes back to sleep, then has a salmon salad and a final training session.

When the boys asked him what he was doing in the cafe, he told them that he goes to different cafes to relax.

Gilbert said: “He is a really nice guy. He told us education is so important and not to get involved in anything dodgy.”

Jeremy said of the essays: “It was the first time either of us had got distinctions – that’s like an A-grade. We really want to thank David.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...#ixzz2Qiy6ickd
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Cool, I changed a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom today

Comment

Thanks for sharing, that's a cool story. Haye can be good, that was nice of him.

Comment

No wonder he was struggling. No serious student studies in a coffee shop.

Comment

Haye was book smart kid from what I recall he did well in school

Comment

Cool story, I like Haye he's great for the sport when he's on his game, very talented fighter. I hate when people throw up the Wlad fight as an excuse for him being a bad fighter! I would bet on him beating any fighter other than Wladimir

Comment

I took a dump this morning

Comment

I'm trying to buy a small apartment block in Las Vegas. I wonder if Haye would help me?? Does anybody know the next cafe he'll be going to??

On a more serious note, this is the usual PR Bumpfh. If it actually happened the way related, It's unusual that Haye was able to see into the kid's mind to know what was wrong...... At the same time he showed effrontery-chutzpah- in going to a stranger and sticking himself into his affairs. Only a complete narcissist could do this, unless the kid was crying in despair; chewing a pencil is not enough....

What happened may have been that Haye related what his day's schedule normally would be in training for a fight, and the kid put it down in sequenced form. This "insight" shown by a normally slow kid delighted the teacher who responded accordingly. I don't see that Haye required any special talents to have done this, and if it's as related it was a nice gesture, but didn't really aid the kid except we can hope, in giving him some confidence.

I read from all this that Haye, that inveterate publicity seeker, goes to different cafes and other public places, and basks in the glory of public recognition. This is exactly his persona.

As Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen wrote in his famous diaries about his friend T.E. Lawrence's (of Arabia) false modesty and self-deprecation, "....he has a curious pechant for slowly backing into the limelight".......

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                  I'm trying to buy a small apartment block in Las Vegas. I wonder if Haye would help me?? Does anybody know the next cafe he'll be going to??

On a more serious note, this is the usual PR Bumpfh. If it actually happened the way related, It's unusual that Haye was able to see into the kid's mind to know what was wrong...... At the same time he showed effrontery-chutzpah- in going to a stranger and sticking himself into his affairs. Only a complete narcissist could do this, unless the kid was crying in despair; chewing a pencil is not enough....

What happened may have been that Haye related what his day's schedule normally would be in training for a fight, and the kid put it down in sequenced form. This "insight" shown by a normally slow kid delighted the teacher who responded accordingly. I don't see that Haye required any special talents to have done this, and if it's as related it was a nice gesture, but didn't really aid the kid except we can hope, in giving him some confidence.

I read from all this that Haye, that inveterate publicity seeker, goes to different cafes and other public places, and basks in the glory of public recognition. This is exactly his persona.

As Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen wrote in his famous diaries about his friend T.E. Lawrence's (of Arabia) false modesty and self-deprecation, "....he has a curious pechant for slowly backing into the limelight".......
                  You truly are the biggest twat on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
                    No wonder he was struggling. No serious student studies in a coffee shop.

Comment

Working...
                    X