Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philly shell defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I'm in the shell I Prefer whipping out left hooks, more then anything else, and it works well when i'm on the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
      its good to experiment in sparring. i actually do it alot in sparring and think it will be incorporated more for me as a pro and im good at it. its not very effective in amateurs. i mean it can be but its easier to use in pros. big headgear and gloves makes it harder to slip with that style.
      Yeah it looks very impressive when done correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
        i like the way james toney used it in his prime better, more aggressive, that shows the real countering power, which is what it's designed for: to counter hard as fast as possible.
        i agree im a big fan on james toney ! the mayweather style defense is easier to do for me.

Comment

It takes a certain kind of fighter to pull that off. If you don't have great reflexes, just use a traditional stance like Marquez or a peek-a-boo style and use your gloves to mostly block.

Comment

Originally posted by LightzOut View Post
            i agree im a big fan on james toney ! the mayweather style defense is easier to do for me.
            because james toney uses it so agressively, you have to get right INTO your opponents kitchen.. but then you see the effect, he had some badass KO's at all weights because of the surprise of the shot (shot that hurts the most is the one you don't see coming)

more effective if you ask me.

i used to use that style with dudes that was always trying to be super bully style, super machos. just to make them lose steam, put them in their place, right?
            Last edited by paulsinghnl; 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM.

Comment

You know what, I only ever heard of 'Philly Shell' when I began doing some stuff on line. I've been around boxing all of my life and would never really coach that cross over defence that Floyd uses. Why? Because Floyd was probably never coached in that type of defence, it is something that he has learned to do at a particular time in particular circumstances against particular opponents. He has developed this over decades in the sport. The fact is that as a competing amateur, performing this type of defence would provide more risk than benefit. More simple defences are the way I would go, with things like the double arm block and Inside fighting blocks against hooks. Simple, clean and reliable.

By the way. I read somewhere that 'Philly Shell' was coined from something called Fight Night computer game. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by myboxingcoach View Post
                You know what, I only ever heard of 'Philly Shell' when I began doing some stuff on line. I've been around boxing all of my life and would never really coach that cross over defence that Floyd uses. Why? Because Floyd was probably never coached in that type of defence, it is something that he has learned to do at a particular time in particular circumstances against particular opponents. He has developed this over decades in the sport. The fact is that as a competing amateur, performing this type of defence would provide more risk than benefit. More simple defences are the way I would go, with things like the double arm block and Inside fighting blocks against hooks. Simple, clean and reliable.

By the way. I read somewhere that 'Philly Shell' was coined from something called Fight Night computer game. Is this correct?
                the name for it is from Fight Night yea, and the defense is risky. but it's just primarily to counter hard. my trainer HATES it when i do it, he doesn't want no part of it. and the basics doing them safely are always much better.. but for instance the defence we learnt has holes too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4

love this video by the way, what i mean in this discussion is from 1.11

Comment

I've been in and out of Philadelphia gyms for close to 30 years. Don't think I've ever heard a trainer say "use the 'Philly shell'"...and certainly never see anyone being taught it.

That style is something you discover you CAN do over time.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    I've been in and out of Philadelphia gyms for close to 30 years. Don't think I've ever heard a trainer say "use the 'Philly shell'"...and certainly never see anyone being taught it.

That style is something you discover you CAN do over time.

The term "philly shell" was coined by the Fight Night series.

It's actually called "shoulder roll" but the former sounds a lot cooler.

No one really teaches it as confidently as the Mayweathers. 90% of gyms won't teach it and will tell guys to not use it.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
                      because james toney uses it so agressively, you have to get right INTO your opponents kitchen.. but then you see the effect, he had some badass KO's at all weights because of the surprise of the shot (shot that hurts the most is the one you don't see coming)

more effective if you ask me.

i used to use that style with dudes that was always trying to be super bully style, super machos. just to make them lose steam, put them in their place, right?
                      Yeah i find it much easier to do with someone who throws careless punches it is alot easier to counter. but when i spar someone experienced i don't execute it as well.. but i'll get better with the shoulder roll over time

Comment

Working...
                      X