Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you name five fighters of the last decade greater than Wladimir ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could probably name 10 who are arguably better. 5 is easy... and the first 4 are not really arguable in any sense

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hopkins, Marquez, Cotto, Calzaghe, MAB, Shane Mosley, Winky Wright, struggling for a tenth tbh.

Some will point to the records of some on the list in this decade but the level of competition is just a different level to what Wladimir has faced.

Comment

Wladimir isn't in a discussion like this. He's had the misfortune of fighting in the weakest division in boxing with no opposition to challenge him. It's made him very wealthy, but it hasn't made him a HOF fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
        Could probably name 10 who are arguably better. 5 is easy... and the first 4 are not really arguable in any sense

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hopkins, Marquez, Cotto, Calzaghe, MAB, Shane Mosley, Winky Wright, struggling for a tenth tbh.

Some will point to the records of some on the list in this decade but the level of competition is just a different level to what Wladimir has faced.

I 100% agree with Hopkins Pac Calzaghe and Mayweather.
        But how is Cotto better or achieved more? I agree the issues with Wlad is competition and of course he was knocked out twice in his prime.

But, he should still rightfully be ranked higher than Miguel Cotto?

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
          Wladimir isn't in a discussion like this. He's had the misfortune of fighting in the weakest division in boxing with no opposition to challenge him. It's made him very wealthy, but it hasn't made him a HOF fighter.

Sure it has. I thought you were gonna say that, "it hasn't made him the Greatest of All time Heavyweight Fighter". Then I would tend to agree.

But HOF? Pleauzeee!!! Hall of Fame is subjective. Who gets into the HOF is subjective. Even actors who played Fighters got into the HOF and other fighters agreed that they should be in the HOF. I don't think Wlad will have problems making it into the HOF. A first ballot hall of famer 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Deathknight88 View Post
            I 100% agree with Hopkins Pac Calzaghe and Mayweather.
            But how is Cotto better or achieved more? I agree the issues with Wlad is competition and of course he was knocked out twice in his prime.

But, he should still rightfully be ranked higher than Miguel Cotto?
            That's why I said only 4 are inarguable. Cotto hadn't achieved more in the sense of title defences etc but it could be argued that he has done better due to competition. Don't you think Marquez is inarguably better than Wlad too? There is no way that Calzaghe is better than Marquez, so if you agree with me that Marquez is better than Wlad too then you can't put Wlad in the top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

Sure it has. I thought you were gonna say that, "it hasn't made him the Greatest of All time Heavyweight Fighter". Then I would tend to agree.

But HOF? Pleauzeee!!! Hall of Fame is subjective. Who gets into the HOF is subjective. Even actors who played Fighters got into the HOF and other fighters agreed that they should be in the HOF. I don't think Wlad will have problems making it into the HOF. A first ballot hall of famer 100%
              Yeah he's a fall of famer but that by no means makes you a great these days.

Comment

Floyd mayweather
                Manny pacquiao
                Joe calzage
                Bernard Hopkins
                Juan Manuel marquez

You have to rate them based on they're level of competition, Not some magazine that rates them based on belts. If he'd never been knocked out bad like he did i would have had him #4 lol. We all have an opinion im sure most won't agree.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
                  Yeah he's a fall of famer but that by no means makes you a great these days.
                  I agree. Nonetheless, he is a great fighter.

Someone's next reply may be that the word "great" has been devalued itself and thrown around too loosely. Point taken. But either way you slice it, a guy with 59 wins, only 3 losses, 13 title defenses with no end in sight, has to be considered "great" by any standard.

You can cut down his opposition level all you like, winning is winning and how you win (as in dominant) matters even more. If he was squeaking out split decisions in FOTY's, someone may even give him some bonus points instead of punishing him. I prefer the one sided beat downs.

Comment

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr
                    2. PBF
                    3. Money May
                    4. Floyd Joy
                    5. Flashy Floyd

Comment

if you cant name at least 10 then you are probably very new to boxing, or a Wlad superfan.

In the HW division there was of course Lennox, plus Evander Holyfield gets a scrape in.

Not sure about cruisers but at LH roy jones and bhop, and possibly maybe Darius Michalczewski.

Dropping down further theres at least a dozen more obvious names.

Comment

Working...
                      X