Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling Canada - tips, advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been looking into it .I just done NZ and lasted under a fortnight and came home .Ive applied for a job driving LGV class 1 in CA.30 dollars an hour just under 19 pound .Im thinking of Ireland as well though that I could probably afford just now

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
      Also if you go somewhere rural and see a moose it's a good idea to run like fuck.
      I was thinking about Peterborough Ontario, simply because I'm from Peterborough England. Do they have Moose's there? Vancouver is my favourite option though.

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
      Ive been looking into it .I just done NZ and lasted under a fortnight and came home .Ive applied for a job driving LGV class 1 in CA.30 dollars an hour just under 19 pound .Im thinking of Ireland as well though that I could probably afford just now
      The only thing I'm worried about is that as I've been a student for 4 years now, I've only had to work during the summer months, so my work experience is a little sketchy. Is this going to count against me too much, or will my degree negate that? After all, I'm not expecting to earn anything like $30 an hour, $16-20 will do me just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
        I was thinking about Peterborough Ontario, simply because I'm from Peterborough England. Do they have Moose's there? Vancouver is my favourite option though.

The only thing I'm worried about is that as I've been a student for 4 years now, I've only had to work during the summer months, so my work experience is a little sketchy. Is this going to count against me too much, or will my degree negate that? After all, I'm not expecting to earn anything like $30 an hour, $16-20 will do me just fine.
        In todays world, experience and the degree equally matter but 15 dollars or so is doable even without a degree. Everything Tunney said is correct but I believe he overstated rent for a flat. I don't know many places that would charge 1200 dollars a month for a studio apartment, LA and NYC probably but that's about it. I used to live in Chicago and my studio apt was like 800 and it was really nice. Here's a good way to know what you can afford in rent though, one third. If your rent is 800 dollars make sure you're taking 2400 a month. If you do that you will live comfortably enough to cover bills, go out, and save a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
          In todays world, experience and the degree equally matter but 15 dollars or so is doable even without a degree. Everything Tunney said is correct but I believe he overstated rent for a flat. I don't know many places that would charge 1200 dollars a month for a studio apartment, LA and NYC probably but that's about it. I used to live in Chicago and my studio apt was like 800 and it was really nice. Here's a good way to know what you can afford in rent though, one third. If your rent is 800 dollars make sure you're taking 2400 a month. If you do that you will live comfortably enough to cover bills, go out, and save a little bit.
          I don't even need a whole apartment, just a room in a shared house will do me, as long as there's an internet connection - I'm only going to be there a year. However, if I found a job that pays quite well, an apartment to myself would be great. Still, I'll have enough money to last me 4-5 months without working, so I'll have plenty of time to find a decent job and a good place to live. Can't wait!

Comment

There is nothing really in Peterborough. Including work. You'd be better off sticking to a big city. And you can definitely find a room in a house for 400-600 a month. But renting a whole flat is expensive. I live just outside Toronto and paid $800 for a one bed apartment 7 years ago, that same apartment now rents for over $1000.

Minimum wage here is 10.50 an hour. But it is expensive to have nights out etc, depending where you are of course.

Depending on what type of visa you are getting, they can suggest things to you in terms of where to look for work and accommodation.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
              I don't even need a whole apartment, just a room in a shared house will do me, as long as there's an internet connection - I'm only going to be there a year. However, if I found a job that pays quite well, an apartment to myself would be great. Still, I'll have enough money to last me 4-5 months without working, so I'll have plenty of time to find a decent job and a good place to live. Can't wait!
              Make sure you say eh, a lot. A lot of the American auto makers now deal with Canadians so everyday I have Canadians truckers coming in(not to mention I live about 20 minutes away) and they all say it. It isn't a joke or anything, they really say eh a ton. Hell, I say a lot now. EH!

Comment

Originally posted by *Boss Lady* View Post
                There is nothing really in Peterborough. Including work. You'd be better off sticking to a big city. And you can definitely find a room in a house for 400-600 a month. But renting a whole flat is expensive. I live just outside Toronto and paid $800 for a one bed apartment 7 years ago, that same apartment now rents for over $1000.

Minimum wage here is 10.50 an hour. But it is expensive to have nights out etc, depending where you are of course.

Depending on what type of visa you are getting, they can suggest things to you in terms of where to look for work and accommodation.

Good luck!
                That's a rip then. Toronto is a hell of a city but you can virtually live in any American city for that price tag(excluding LA, NYC, and Miami). 1000 dollars for a 500 square foot studio is a bit much if you ask me.

Comment

That's a rip then. Toronto is a hell of a city but you can virtually live in any American city for that price tag(excluding LA, NYC, and Miami). 1000 dollars for a 500 square foot studio is a bit much if you ask me.
                  I'm sure you could find cheaper, but it wouldn't be in the best area or the nicest apartment. Where I was back then was a ****hole and it cost me that much a month. It all depends on the area really. There is a place called Elliot Lake, you can BUY a flat for under 30k but, you are in the middle of nowhere, with hardly any work around you.

Alternatively, my brother lives in Yellowknife where everything is ridiculously expensive, because it has to be flown in. Example, he quit smoking because his brand of cigarettes out there is $25.50 a pack compared to $11.50 in TO.

Comment

Originally posted by *Boss Lady* View Post
                    I'm sure you could find cheaper, but it wouldn't be in the best area or the nicest apartment. Where I was back then was a ****hole and it cost me that much a month. It all depends on the area really. There is a place called Elliot Lake, you can BUY a flat for under 30k but, you are in the middle of nowhere, with hardly any work around you.

Alternatively, my brother lives in Yellowknife where everything is ridiculously expensive, because it has to be flown in. Example, he quit smoking because his brand of cigarettes out there is $25.50 a pack compared to $11.50 in TO.
                    I'm glad I'm a city boy and would never consider living in some remote area like that. Still think 1000 dollars is a bit much for a studio apt. but Toronto is a fun city. Good food and lots of stuff to do. I need to go back. Casa Loma

Comment

I'm glad I'm a city boy and would never consider living in some remote area like that. Still think 1000 dollars is a bit much for a studio apt. but Toronto is a fun city. Good food and lots of stuff to do. I need to go back. Casa Loma
                      LOL! It always makes me feel proud when I see someone with a high opinion of our city. It is a great place to be, and you truly get what you pay for.

TS, I don't know if you have properly looked into visas at all yet and I have no idea how old you are, but if you are between 18-30, I use to work for Citizen and Immigration Canada, and had access to some programs. You said you wanted to come out here for a year, I think this would be the perfect program for you. And they offer loads of help. Here's a link.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...message&view=d

But you need to apply asap as spots are limited and fill up quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X