No announcement yet.

under the Ali Act, no one can function as both a promoter and a manager

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
    First off, haymon actually is a licensed manger.

Second off, it isn't hard to get a promoters license, Floyd could do it, ellerbe could it, anyone can do it.

3rd, haymon and his role in the sport has been brught up by Duvas lawsuit, Which I would assume will make it harder for them to do whatever it is they want to do.

My assumption is there gameplan is the same game plan GBP had towards the end of Hoyas career, which is to form a company and use Oscar to leverage as many fight dates as they can with TV networks.

That's where GBP got there power, from leverageing oscar, and when he was gone they used Floyd to do that. You can't sign fighters if you don't have the ability to keep them busy and pay them.
    funny how Duva, such a small player in the boxing world, could be the one that ****s on his parade.

Comment

Well Richard Schaefer is stuck with GBP until 2018, so what is next for Haymon's fighters? Is Mayweather promotions ready to step in to fill the void? If not, is it Duva? Lou Dibella? Iron Mike Production maybe? We know that it damn sure won't be Bob Arum thats for sure. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
        I see. So they'd be operating as promotional free agents then. I doubt most promoters would want to deal with Haymon that way though
        Your right, but that's why he had such a great relationship with Schafer.. Schafer allowed him to do what he pleases as long as they got to work with Floyd.. And it paid off for everyone involved. Schafer and gbp put on some great cards and became the top promotion, and Al haymon got his guys paid and tv exposure.

Al haymon has become very powerful in boxing by leveraging Floyd's success into a recruitment tool for other fighters.. His stable is so huge now, and has lots of the big names, he should be able to find an outlet, which most likely will be mayweather promotions.

Comment

Haymon is not a manager. He uses the role as an adviser.

What that means is that he may not be stuck after all. He may be in some legal loophole. It is certainly a grey area.

Comment

Haymon won't be a promoter he will just funnel his clients to one of his liking.

Comment

Ummm, this is boxing, shady business and scams is what it is build on.

Comment

so when I hear from people here on NSB that a lot of GBP fighters are actually signed to Haymon, it doesn't make sense. Unless there is something I'm missing here? if Schaeffer was promoter and Al Haymon was manager/matchmaker they'd be open for business. Schaefer doesn't hold any fighter contracts that I'm aware of though and legally Al Haymon can't be manager and promoter so how exactly does he have fighters signed to him? anyone have actual insight into this to clear things up?
                Probably why he is being sued by Main Events for violating the Ali Act.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Al haymon isn't a bad guy, he is just a sports agent that does the best for his clients..

Look at how much his fighters get paid.. Too many managers are in the back pocket of promoters like koncz is to arum.. Harmon isn't like that, and plays hardball and gets the absolute best money for his guys.. If manny had haymon instead of koncz, manny would be a whole lot richer

Did he gt maidana the best possible pay in the mayweather fight?

Comment

funny how Duva, such a small player in the boxing world, could be the one that ****s on his parade.
                    Wouldn't be surprised If arum encouraged duva to bring this to court

Comment

Duva sued GBP also; in a case that she won't win.

Comment

Working...
                      X