No announcement yet.

Facts About Cubans in Professional Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts About Cubans in Professional Boxing

The following list of Cubans currently in pro boxing, by weight class, comes from Boxrec, so feel free to check my stated facts:

Minimum Weight - None
    Light Flyweight - None
    Flyweight - None
    Super Flyweight - (One) Leonardo Sanchez (19 years old) 2-1-0
    Bantamweight - (One) Yan Barthelemy 12-3
    Super Bantamweight - (Three) Guillermo Rigondeaux, Yoandris Salinas 20-0-1, Hairon Socarras (19 years old) 6-0-1
    Featherweight - (Two) Luis Franco 11-1 (fighting Billy Dib for his belt on March 1), Jessy Cruz 8-5-1
    Super Featherweight - (Four) Including Yuriorkis Gamboa and Rances Barthelemy 18-0
    Lightweight - (Seven) Including Richard Abril, Angelo Santana 14-0 (watch out for this kid), and Yoelvis Gamboa (Yuri’s brother) 8-1
    Light Welterweight- (One) Michael Santander 3-0 (23 years old)
    Welterweight- (Three) Yordenis Ugas 13-1, (and two others, one 36 and the other 40)
    Light Middleweight- (Six) Erislandy Lara, Yudel Johnson (13-1), Inocente Fiz 15-0, Leosvy Mayedo 3-0 (and two others 40 and older)
    Middleweight - (Three) None really worth noting, unless you count “Kid Chocolate,” Peter Quillin, which would make four.
    Super Middleweight - (One) Julio Acosta 5-1 (38 years old)
    Light Heavyweight - (Four) Umberto Savigne 10-1 (34 years old) Miguel Velozo 15-1 (39 years old), Vilier Quinonez 5-0 ,Yordanis Despaigne 9-2
    Cruiserweight- (Four) Yoan Pablo Hernandez, Pedro Rodriguez 13-1, Yasmany Consuegra 10-0, Yenisei Gonzalez 10-0
    Heavyweight - (Nine) Odlanier Solis, Mike Perez 18-0, Juan Carlos Gomez (39) 51-3, Luis Ortiz 19-0, Glendy Hernandez, 9-0 and four others.

Out of fifty named Cuban boxers on this list, there are six present or past champions: Gamboa, Rigo, Abril, Quillin, Gomez and Yoan Pablo Hernandez. Lara is top-ten. Many of the men on this list are either too young or inexperienced to have made a splash yet, or too old to ever make an impact. Even men like Gamboa, Rigo and Lara don’t have many fights, because they haven’t been free very long. Even a woeful underachiever like Solis has been ranked top-ten in the past. Guys like Angelo Santana aren’t very known yet, but they will be. Angelo is a bad young motherfucker.

Fifty professional fighters spread throughout all categories…. Boxrec lists 89 Filipinos in the Super Bantamweight division alone! Mexicans? 239!! Even Puerto Rico, with her tiny population, boasts 25 fighters at 122! For a people that have been shut out of pro boxing for over a half-century, and only number about 1.6 million in the United States, Cubans have done pretty well. Certain ignoramuses on this site want to make themselves feel good by putting down Cuban fighters. God only knows how many Cuban champs there’d be if we had a population of 115 million. Truth always wins in the end.

Ok, and why do you feel inclined to remind us of this?

Just asking...

Comment

great thread fighting hate with facts

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post

Just asking...
        hes fighting hate back with the truth

Comment

Just asking...
          I didn't just jump out of bed this morning pounding my chest, proud to be Cubano. As Illmaticfighter fighter rightfully points out, this thread is in response to a ridiculous and unwarranted attack on Cuban fighters started last night.

Comment

This has got to be the most ******ed angle from a Cuban fight fan, ever.

It's a country which has banned fighters from turning professional so only those who are certain to make a living from it will dare risk the journey to America. If Cuba wasn't a communist shithole then you'd drown in the amount of bums you'd produce.

If you want to prove how good Cuban boxers are, this is the worst possibly way to go about it. You're only making yourself look like an idiot.

Comment

Excellent thread.

The cuban hate has been on overdrive lately, although most of it is coming from bosshog, who is obviously butthurt about some shit.

His "massive failures" thread convinced me that he has some personal grudge against cubans.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                I didn't just jump out of bed this morning pounding my chest, proud to be Cubano. As Illmaticfighter fighter rightfully points out, this thread is in response to a ridiculous and unwarranted attack on Cuban fighters started last night.
                Point taken, just felt the need to ask considering there is an influx of race baiting threads on this forum by a certain poster I wont mention his name because he is still out fondling school children at bus stops *cough* *cough* ElBosshog.

But in any case carry on!

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                  This has got to be the most ******ed angle from a Cuban fight fan, ever.

It's a country which has banned fighters from turning professional so only those who are certain to make a living from it will dare risk the journey to America. If Cuba wasn't a communist shithole then you'd drown in the amount of bums you'd produce.

If you want to prove how good Cuban boxers are, this is the worst possibly way to go about it. You're only making yourself look like an idiot.

While it's true that there would be a lot of weaker Cuban fighters in pro boxing if Cuba wasn't communist, it's also true that there would be several more champions. But obviously your tiny little mind cannot grasp that simple concept.

Comment

Point taken, just felt the need to ask considering there is an influx of race baiting threads on this forum by a certain poster I wont mention his name because he is still out fondling school children at bus stops *cough* *cough* ElBosshog.

But in any case carry on!
                    What can I say about him? Some turds like to create bait threads when they're not out practicing pedophilia.

Comment

Working...
                    X