No announcement yet.

''Super'' Judah is a myth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP View Post
    He's an explosive, talented and flashy fighter with an exciting style and he's a character. People still want to see him fight and he's build up a strong fan base and that's why he continues to get the opportunities that he does. Every time Judah enters the ring, people wonder "which Zab will show up" and just off that, he has fans believing that he can win under any circumstance. He keeps the fans interested.

I love fighters like Matthysse but to be a star in boxing you have to do more than just handle business in the ring. You have to make people want to pay to see you fight and Judah has done that for over a decade.

People complain about Judah but how many Lucas Matthysse fights have you been too? What are you doing on your end to make sure he gets bigger opportunities? If Richard Schaefer doesn't believe Matthysse can fill stadiums in Brooklyn, he's not going to get opportunities.

We do know which Zab will turn up though & that is the problem, people buy into his **** talk & his hype. You know he will beat C level guys and you know deep down when its time to step up & hit the big time, the guy will fold! People always convince themselves ''Super Judah is coming this time'' & it ends in tears for them and they're like ''Should of listened to my head'' I see it everytime. Hes good at selling himself; I've gotta give him that.
    I think he believes he can do it but when things don't go as planned he looks for a way out.

It shouldn't be about personalities though. Lucas is never ever in a bad fight & I would love to go out and watch him fight live but admittedly, I can't afford the luxury. It would literally cost me £2000/$3200 probably at a minimum to go see the guy fight live.

Comment

I've been saying this for years.He's been a good,world class boxer but he never justified the level of hype that he garnered in his earlier years.He's gotten more chances and more opportunities than he deserved and people still continually believe in him - in spite of his history of generally failing to produce the goods when in a significant fight.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        We do know which Zab will turn up though & that is the problem, people buy into his **** talk & his hype. You know he will beat C level guys and you know deep down when its time to step up & hit the big time, the guy will fold! People always convince themselves ''Super Judah is coming this time'' & it ends in tears for them and they're like ''Should of listened to my head'' I see it everytime. Hes good at selling himself; I've gotta give him that.
        I think he believes he can do it but when things don't go as planned he looks for a way out.

It shouldn't be about personalities though. Lucas is never ever in a bad fight & I would love to go out and watch him fight live but admittedly, I can't afford the luxury. It would literally cost me £2000/$3200 probably at a minimum to go see the guy fight live.
        It shouldn't be but it is. Boxing is like high school. The popular fighters get privileges that others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          He's an explosive, talented and flashy fighter with an exciting style and he's a character. People still want to see him fight and he's build up a strong fan base and that's why he continues to get the opportunities that he does. Every time Judah enters the ring, people wonder "which Zab will show up" and just off that, he has fans believing that he can win under any circumstance. He keeps the fans interested.

I love fighters like Matthysse but to be a star in boxing you have to do more than just handle business in the ring. You have to make people want to pay to see you fight and Judah has done that for over a decade.

People complain about Judah but how many Lucas Matthysse fights have you been too? What are you doing on your end to make sure he gets bigger opportunities? If Richard Schaefer doesn't believe Matthysse can fill stadiums in Brooklyn, he's not going to get opportunities.
          Great Post!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
            not in full disagreement here but going by that reasoning I feel he would've been as agressive against foreman as well, he chose to box him patiently instead

also quintana had a huge win over then highly regarded prospect joel julio and was perceived as a boxer puncher while cotto was moving up from 140 where he struggled against lesser or equally regarded punchers. by speculation at the time cotto could've lost fighting the way he did...that's why I feel cotto was in his prime during the mosley fight when he showed he was a more complete fighter
            i guess we can say that even a fighter's prime has its stages.

i always tend to feel that fighters are at their best when their boxing intellect and physical ability are nearest to peaking together. for instance, a fighter like Calzaghe was maybe a little past his physical peak in 2006/2007, but his ring-acumen was now so well developed that it created the best version of Calzaghe when combined with his still very strong physical state. i believe that to be true of Hopkins at a point in time, too.

re. the point you made about the Foreman fight, that fight did come some time after the period you mention (Mosley to Margarito I), and Cotto did (for whatever reason) seem to become more measured in general after Margarito I, with the exception of the Pacquiao fight, where he quickly got lulled into feeling he could do well in exchanges with the smaller man (this display of strategic immaturity is perhaps excusable, given that Pacquiao was such an unusually beguiling case among cases of little fighters moving up in weight). even against comparative cannon-fodder like Jennings at welterweight, he appeared to take it steady and deliberate.

as an additional note, the first of Cotto's performances against Margarito is often harshly critiqued for its perceived naivety, while the second, achieved while past his physical best, is often praised as a much more mature showing (others may argue that his success owed to facing an inferior version of Margarito, although the truth probably lies in between). one might speculate that Cotto reached full intellectual maturity as a fighter a little too late, as it's often suggested that he suffered a sharp physical decline following the two very harsh beatings he received within an 18 month spell.

interesting subject.
            Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

All I know is judah is getting ktfo on April 27th something that bscenes new hero couldn't do.

Comment

You are right dan cov. Judah is an inconsistant fighter who fights much better in some fights than in others. But even at his best he is not super. He still has a below average chin and recovery powers for the championship level. He still lacks determination when things don't go his way and tends to give up. He has speed, skill and power and is not someone to take lightly. He is not super and I think Garcia will beat him no matter what Judah shows up. I am expecting a well trained Judah because he seems more mature now and he knows this may be his last shot at the top. I hope he wins but I think Garcia is to tough for him.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  Why do boxing fans give this term?

''Oh if SUPER Judah turns up, he will win''

''Super Judah via his mystical overrated as hell uppercut''

Its like they actually believe he puts a cape on in the dressing room and turns into a super hero.

''Super'' Judah is just Zab Judah.

Its the same guy, the only difference is he looks good and will always beat C level opposition. There is nothing super to be seen when he steps on the world stage except his uncanny ability to fold in super fashion.

They try saying ''super'' Judah turned up for Paris. No, no, Paris is just not very good, real talk. Nice kid, great story but he is very average.

Just had to clear that up, thanks.
                  not true. he lost to baldomir.

Comment

Judah is a 4 round fighter and has no endurance, composure, or stamina

A lot of talent, yes, but the gears in his brain don't function very well. He's a flash in the pan for 4 rounds and then that is it ... he's extinguished.

Comment

I agree BUT zabs left uppercut is legit! One of my favorite punches in boxing

Comment

Working...
                      X