Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's better prime for prime Gary Payton or Chris Paul?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Glove may be the greatest defensive PG of all time. Cp3 is a better leader and passer. GP is a better scorer and defender. Very good debate to have.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
      The Glove may be the greatest defensive PG of all time. Cp3 is a better leader and passer. GP is a better scorer and defender. Very good debate to have.
      I agree. The thing I like about Payton is that he could shut you down defensively and take over games offensively. GP was a flat out stud. Paul's leadership and passing ability are also top notch. If Gary would've played against Chris prime for prime I think GP would have handled him. If it wasn't for Jordan Payton would've won a ring much earlier than he did.

Comment

GP is rajon rondo + offense..

i would take cp3 over rondo but not over GP..

Comment

Originally posted by lebrick View Post
          GP is rajon rondo + offense..

i would take cp3 over rondo but not over GP..
          you summed it up well

Comment

Not really a fair comparison, tbh. Chris Paul is just 27. Basically just entering his prime years.

As of now, Paul is the better offensive player. He's a more efficient scorer and a far better passer. They're both equal when it comes to rebounds. Payton was a better defender, but that's about the only thing he has on Chris Paul.

Comment

i remember pronouncing payton as "pieton" and the guy i was playing with laughed

Comment

Stupid question...who do you think I'm going to pick?

Comment

GP easy way better defense and the offense between the 2 is close just look at how good he made Shawn Kemp look

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
                    Nope Payton was just the better player, Payton was the better defender, scorer, and rebounder. The only thing that CP3 might do better than GP is pass the ball. Gary was just flat out the better player imo. That's no diss to CP3 but GP was simply a beast in his prime.
                    How is Payton a better rebounder? He's only averaged more than 5 rebounds one time in his career. That time was actually the best season of his career. His stats were 24 pts(54% TS%), 9 assists, 6 rebounds per game.

Chris Paul, at the age of 23 averaged 23 points(60% TS%), 11 assists, and 5 rebounds per game.

Like I said, the only thing Payton has on Paul is defense.

Comment

Lets be real here.. GP was a true all around player who could do it all. A great man to man defender, scorer & facilitater. I'd choose him solely because of his defense but Payton was more than that. Great post up game for a 1 and a great 15-20 ft shooter when need be. He's what Rondo hopes to become.

Lets not forget he's one of a few guards, and maybe the only PG to win defensive player of the year. This in between the Olajuwon, Mutombo, DRob and Mourning years. Just plain sick. And no one trash talked as good as he did. He'd break cp3's heart if he was still around.

Comment

Working...
                      X