Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most drastic change in style of a fighter you've seen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it really fits your criteria but Ramirez performance against Arguello is somewhat of an example.

Ramirez always had good Boxing skills and defense but a lot of people only really talk about the Whitaker fights and the Camacho fight to a lesser extent where he was all out aggresion.

He was an aggressive fighter most of the time but against Arguello it was a display of great Boxing skills off the back foot and his underrated defense. People don't realise that Ramirez was actually very good defensively, slipping punches etc. The fight against Arguello was the performance of his career, shame he didn't get the decision, he deserved it IMO. I think that's possibly the only fight of his career where he boxed to a tee for the full fight, didn't get off his gameplan and go to war. He knew he couldn't with Arguello That's why. But that's why I used it as an example. He didn't really "Change his style" though because Ramirez was always skilled like that. But rarely did he fight like that, for a whole fight.

Ramirez is so underrated these days. I remember someone I was talking to on here was comparing him to Harry Simon. Harry Simon!

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      George Foreman springs to mind. His style was pretty much polar opposite when he returned. Obviously a vastly different fighter though.

Emile Griffith was much less aggressive and willing to push the offence at times after the 3rd Paret fight but he didn't really change his style.

Barrera's another one.
      Foreman's was interesting. When he came back from retirement he was a completely different fighter. He was more relaxed and some learned how to be more conservative with his energy and punches. It was like he realized his shortcomings and made the best of his strengths.

I realize ИATAS206 wasn't refering to fighters adjusting because of age but I was thinking about Foremans changes in style last night and had to touch on it.
      Last edited by TBear; 05-26-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        Foreman's was interesting. When he came back from retirement he was a completely different fighter. He was more relaxed and some learned how to be more conservative with his energy and punches. It was like he realized his shortcomings and made the best of his strengths.
        It was astonishing Absurd if you will.

I will never forget when Foreman knocked out Moorer. It's just one of those moments where you just sit back and say; Wow.

I used to forget who I was watching when GEORGE FOREMAN returned in the 90's

Comment

Often a fighter's change of style is actually them sometimes just getting back to the basics. Many times I seen boxer's score some knockouts and get away from those basic's that got them there and even pick up some bad habits. Somewhere along the way. They might pay for their mistakes and focus on getting back to the basics by working on their boxing skills and defense. I have talked to several boxers that have done this and resurrected or even lengthened their careers.
          Last edited by TBear; 05-26-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I will never forget when Foreman knocked out Moorer. It's just one of those moments where you just sit back and say; Wow.

George was very intelligent about his comeback. He knew his strengths and limitations and matched himself carefully. That's why he was so upset when Morrison beat him with a stick and move style. Foreman also was smart to take his time fighting ordinary opponents for so long at the beginning instead of being greedy and looking for one big payoff. He said he basically started his career all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              George was very intelligent about his comeback. He knew his strengths and limitations and matched himself carefully. That's why he was so upset when Morrison beat him with a stick and move style. Foreman also was smart to take his time fighting ordinary opponents for so long at the beginning instead of being greedy and looking for one big payoff. He said he basically started his career all over.
              Pretty amazing when you think back.

I myself have become guilty of underrating how amazing that successful comeback was. Coming back after so long with a polar opposite style. Even winning the Title in the same shorts he was wearing in 1974 no less The Boxing God's were definitely looking down on George that night.

For guys like us, who saw both career's, it's just astonishing to me.

Become very underrated.

Comment

It was astonishing! It was one of those moments where sports fans might say, "Where were you the night George Foreman knocked out". I always considered George's return a miracle comeback because it defied all logic and precedence.

Comment

Pretty amazing when you think back.

I myself have become guilty of underrating how amazing that successful comeback was. Coming back after so long with a polar opposite style. Even winning the Title in the same shorts he was wearing in 1974 no less The Boxing God's were definitely looking down on George that night.

For guys like us, who saw both career's, it's just astonishing to me.

Become very underrated.
                  I'm sure you remember (at the beginning of his comenack) that most people were either worried about George or taking him as a joke. Fighting regularly at that age was unheard of.

I remember seeing an interview with Michael Dokes then. The announcer asked him whether Foreman should be allowed to fight. Dokes said "if you take away George's license, what are you going to do about all the guys he was beating?"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    I'm sure you remember (at the beginning of his comenack) that most people were either worried about George or taking him as a joke. Fighting regularly at that age was unheard of.

I remember seeing an interview with Michael Dokes then. The announcer asked him whether Foreman should be allowed to fight. Dokes said "if you take away George's license, what are you going to do about all the guys he was beating?"
                    Absolutely. I was one of them.

I always get that way when fighters make comebacks like that old age (In boxing terms).

You could see that he could still take a hell of a punch though. I wasn't worried he'd get too hurt but I was worried he'd get embarrassed.

Can you imagine prime George fighting like that. I have never been able to match the picture with the face

Comment

Barrera actually changed his approach twice. Early in his career, and I was ringside at his first US fight when he was 18, he was very much a boxer, especially in his fights with Israel Perez and Eddie Cook. When he started appearing on PPVs he became much more aggressive, then later became a more thoughtful fighter, as he had been early in his career.
                      The most dramatic change, according to what I've read, was in Cornelius Boza-Edwards, noted for the legendary wars he engaged in, with bobby Chacon among others. Apparently he began as a more careful fighter, but bazooka limon threatened to kill him, which got under his skin and they got to fighting and it went from there.

Comment

Working...
                      X