Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mares Fans: Do you think the Ponce De Leon fight is a bad move?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mares Fans: Do you think the Ponce De Leon fight is a bad move?

I like Mares because I like gritty fighters that do what they have to do to win, even if its dirty at times. With that being said, I think his move up is a terrible idea. I dont think Mares has let his body grow into a weight class, I understand his options at SuperBantum are slim because of promotional issues "but" PDL isn't a walk in the park esspecailly for a 1st fight in a new weight class. As much as I like Mares, I foresee PDL winning.

I think Mares may be biting off more than he can chew at 126 lbs

Mares is a small guy, Ponce is a full sized Featherweight now.

It's a great fight and would be a very good win for Mares. I just don't know. The good thing is even if he loses, he can just go back down to 122.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      I think Mares may be biting off more than he can chew at 126 lbs

Mares is a small guy, Ponce is a full sized Featherweight now.

It's a great fight and would be a very good win for Mares. I just don't know. The good thing is even if he loses, he can just go back down to 122.
      Thats true he could go back down but the marketability of his "0" will be gone and if he loses by KO or TKO who knows how he'll recover...

Comment

Originally posted by boxfan1983 View Post
        I like Mares because I like gritty fighters that do what they have to do to win, even if its dirty at times. With that being said, I think his move up is a terrible idea. I dont think Mares has let his body grow into a weight class, I understand his options at SuperBantum are slim because of promotional issues "but" PDL isn't a walk in the park esspecailly for a 1st fight in a new weight class. As much as I like Mares, I foresee PDL winning.
        Ponce is a bad move for just about any fighter looking to be a star, but a good choice for any fighter looking to be great (If you can beat him).

Comment

Could be.... The more and more I think about it the more I think Ponce wins

Comment

Originally posted by cixthree View Post
            Ponce is a bad move for just about any fighter looking to be a star, but a good choice for any fighter looking to be great (If you can beat him).
            i looked at his resume. Didnt see an Ponce opponent that went on to be great

Comment

No, i really like it.
              Fighters shouldn't go the safe route.

Comment

mares can get the decision if he doesn't get trapped into a brawl and commits more to outboxing ponce.

Comment

Abner Mares may be the best active Mexican fighter not named Marquez. Yet for all the great things he's done, he gets overshadowed by hypejobs. No it's not a bad move, it's a stab at greatness, I applaud Mares for this move & wish other fighters did this more often.

Comment

Yeah.

The sport would fix itself if every fighter took risks. It could easily become a top3 sport again with that approach.

Comment

Working...
                    X