No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton underrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FJRod View Post
    I can't dispute the fact he beat Tszyu, however we all know he won due to a biased ref. Had the fight taken placed anywhere else Tszyu would have won by decision. As far as underrating him...I think most people rank him where he belongs not a great fighter but IMO he is close to being Hall of Fame worthy.
    how does that make any sense, if Tszyu quit?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      Yes, he's somewhat underrated around here since the Mayweather and Pacquiao losses. But that's mostly because people in NSB are ****ing stupid - As if losing to the two best fighters of the past 20 years is something to be ashamed of.

While his resume IS lacking somewhat, his actual talents were pretty damn good. His footwork alone was something I particularly admired for a face-first brawling type like Ricky was.
      Exactly. It's amazing how that happens. I've always enjoyed Ricky's fights. He was a beast! Too bad he blew up in weight so much in between fights. That finally caught up to him in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
        Yes. Only because he was KO'd by Floyd and Manny, nothing ot be ashamed about losing to the 2 best fighters on this era.

Ricky had wins over Stewart, Tszyu, Maussa, Collazo, Urango, Castillo, Lazcano, and Malignaggi. He won 4 tiles in 2 weight classes, was a former Top 10 P4P fighter. He is pretty underrated by a ton of people. He did beat Tszyu, a HOF fighter, when Tszyu came back and was the Ring #1 JWW in the world. He has the defining win by beating Tszyu. He was the premier JWW in his era.
        ^ THIS: I couldn't have said it better myself. He's actually the only fighter to have fought Manny, Floyd and Kostya. He was 1 for 3 against ATG's. Not bad for a limited fighter like Ricky.

Comment

Hatton was a solid fighter but gets craped on way too much. His error was changing his style and allowing Cortez to ref the fight. Hatton did better than people want to give him credit for against Floyd. Floyd in the Hatton fight made Hopkins look like a saint.

Comment

short on boxing talent, long on desire and guts. Kind of a poor mans Marcos Maidana, with better coordination and speed. I think he caught an aging Tyzu and made the most of it. Underrated or overrated? I don't know but I always appreciate a guy willing to fight anyone and comes in shape every time

Comment

Mosley and Marquez are in a different league to Ricky in terms of ring craft so in hind sight Hatton faired quite well against Mayweather. He was always gonna go out on his shield in that type of matchup. However you rate him, it was one hell of a ride following his career.

Comment

Mosley is over rated in boxing skills. To me he was always a slugger.

Comment

He overachieved big time for what he had to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by nodzilla View Post
                    how does that make any sense, if Tszyu quit?
                    the ref let hatton get away with alot of roughouse tactics including his usual holding and hitting on the inside. tszyu was catching him coming in over and over but once he got inside the ref let hatton work when he should have broke them up. i guess he thinks had the ref stepped in more often, seperated them and kept it a boxing match tzsyus work would outweigh hattons.

Comment

Originally posted by bose View Post
                      Mosley is over rated in boxing skills. To me he was always a slugger.
                      thats not true. mosley in his prime was a great boxer, at 135 in particluar. as he moved up in weight and got older he boxed less and became more of a slugger. but in his prime he was a very good technical fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X