No announcement yet.

Catch Weight Title fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
    imo it depends on the situation. for pac vs algieri, the CW isn't really a big deal since algieri is more than big enough to make the 144 lb limit and pac is small enough that he can drain himself down without issue.

only times when it's an issue is when you set up a CW fight to bring up a small fighter and come weigh-in you don't honor the CW or if you're a champ in a division (fought two champion fights there without a CW) and you demand a champion in that same division to fight you at a catchweight. Also dragging someone down 7 or 8 lbs is also bad.

but if you're a small fighter moving up in weight then a CW seems fine imo. it's not a big deal.
    Everyone knows who you are talking about so you might as well just say the name.

And honestly, I don't think the Floyd vs Canelo CW was any worse or more unfair than the Manny vs Cotto CW.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      All these comments are just so misinformed it's ridiculous. The great Armstrong fought in cw fights, probably the most famous multiweight fighter ever.

I see no harm in a smaller fighter moving up in weight and having a cw challenging a bigger champ, eg pac v cotto or srl v lalonde but there's a difference when a guy who is already a champion in a division fighting another champion in that division for a cw.
      What do any of the posts have to do with being misinformed? Everybody is aware that CW's are not a modern phenomenon. Does that preclude us from opining?

Also, as Dinamita stated, things have changed considerably since the days of Armstrong.

Comment

All these comments are just so misinformed it's ridiculous. The great Armstrong fought in cw fights, probably the most famous multiweight fighter ever.

I see no harm in a smaller fighter moving up in weight and having a cw challenging a bigger champ, eg pac v cotto or srl v lalonde but there's a difference when a guy who is already a champion in a division fighting another champion in that division for a cw.
        A catchweight fight isn't necessarily a sham, they can of course be legitimate.

But the system is too open to abuse. Today a CW is as likely to be used for weakening a 'B-Side' fighter as it is for making some dream fight possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
          Your talking about a guy who fought at a time when there was only eight weight classes. Not like today when there's a weight class in between each original one. It's more understandable that fighters in the past had cw fights with fewer divisions and weigh-ins on the same day.
          that doesnt make a difference, the principle is the same, to put guys on an equal footing when there may be a large weight differential.

Comment

Originally posted by racer59 View Post
            What do any of the posts have to do with being misinformed? Everybody is aware that CW's are not a modern phenomenon. Does that preclude us from opining?

Also, as Dinamita stated, things have changed considerably since the days of Armstrong.
            read my previous post. and the posts are mostly saying CWs are a sham yet I bet none of you would take away from Armstrong's achievements...

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            A catchweight fight isn't necessarily a sham, they can of course be legitimate.

But the system is too open to abuse. Today a CW is as likely to be used for weakening a 'B-Side' fighter as it is for making some dream fight possible.
            The system is open to abuse, as I clearly stated, I'll be more obvious, with the ridiculous "unification" between Myaweather and Canelo.

Comment

that doesnt make a difference, the principle is the same, to put guys on an equal footing when there may be a large weight differential.
              Having a weight class in between each original weight cut the size differential in half. How would that not make a difference when moving up one weight class in Armstrongs time meant giving up 9,12, or even 13 lbs as opposed to 4,5,7 lbs in present time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
                Having a weight class in between each original weight cut the size differential in half. How would that not make a difference when moving up one weight class in Armstrongs time meant giving up 9,12, or even 13 lbs as opposed to 4,5,7 lbs in present time.
                imagine a lightweight moving up to fight the welterweight champion of the world, if the fight was held at 140, it would be within the light welterweight division...do you understand now? extra divisions does not equate to "no catchweights". simple as that. you're clutching at straws and making yourself look stupid ever since i mentioned armstrong.

Comment

imagine a lightweight moving up to fight the welterweight champion of the world, if the fight was held at 140, it would be within the light welterweight division...do you understand now? extra divisions does not equate to "no catchweights". simple as that. you're clutching at straws and making yourself look stupid ever since i mentioned armstrong.
                  Well you mentioned Armstrong in your very first post how could I possibly make myself look stupid before that?

Anyway I didn't say more weight classes meant no cw fights, I simply stated that it reduced the need of cw's in most cases by setting up a new division in between the ones that were already in place.

In your scenario the fight at 140 would take place in an entirely new division in present time as opposed to a cw in Armstrongs time. Excuse my ignorance but didn't your example just prove how adding a division in-between lightweight and welterweight prevented the need for a cw to be agreed upon?

Comment

Originally posted by racer59 View Post
                    A title fight should never be allowed at a catch weight. If a fighter wants to show up light, then its cool. But if you are fighting for a title the weight limit should be the same weight that other previous champions won at and not below. Or else its just a tainted championship.
                    WBC won't give two ****s aslong as they get their sanctioning fee. I remember the WBO was going to strip Cotto if he didn't defend his title vs PAC at 145. Why?? Cuz they wanted their cut. They could careless about history or tradition. Boxing is an all around mess. Greedy, cherry picking fighters. Freddy sanctioning bodies. Greedy promoters.

Comment

They should not be allowed under any circumstances. If both fighters can't come in at the top weight what is the point of having a champion of that weight class. I have no problem at all with catchweight fights as long as no world title is at stake. Mayweather just defended both of his 154 pound world titles against welterweight Maidana at a top weight allowed at the weigh in of 147. What a fucing joke. That is a welterweight fight and has nothing to do with the 154 pound world titles. All world title fights should be at the full standard weight and not a pound less. Anything else is wrong whether the fighter is a favorite of mine or not. If a fighter chooses to weigh in way under the limit that is fine as long as he is allowed to weigh in at the class limit.

Comment

Working...
                      X