Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they ask questions using rare words in exams? The question is hard alone!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    I'm not too sure about your theory. I have read about very smart thinkers who struggled with math. Call him whatever you want, but Thomas Edison I think was a good thinker, to get behind all of those patents and put his name on everything, find the solution to the light bulb, and have 100s of other patents

It's all bull****, but yeah he was bad at math, they called him dumb in school, the subject he was worst at was math
    Nah, Nikola Tesla was the genius. Edison used big banks to buy patents and steal people's idea after employing them to work with him. I think Edison even mentioned he had to hire mathematicians. My theory won't be absolute, of course, as in everything you have exceptions vs norms. And though there may be exceptions, it is fact that every math geniuses are high thinkers which proves my point.

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
      Nah, Nikola Tesla was the genius. Edison used big banks to buy patents and steal people's idea after employing them to work with him. I think Edison even mentioned he had to hire mathematicians. My theory won't be absolute, of course, as in everything you have exceptions vs norms. And though there may be exceptions, it is fact that every math geniuses are high thinkers which proves my point.
      It's why I said it was all bull**** and call him what you want. I'm well aware of the Tesla-Edison feud, and who did what

In the end, Edison got his hands on everything, he was the quick thinker. He thought smarter

An example of the now, and fittingly for a boxing forum...Floyd Mayweather can't read, or has difficulties reading, doesn't have a very good vocabulary, is probably terrible in math above 5h grade level...guess what, who cares, he thought leaving Arum would mean making more money. He was right, he got the right people around him he knew he couldn't do it by himself because he didn't have the knowledge to do it, and ended up leaving the worst contract in boxing for $750k or so, to earn $30 million dollars vs De La Hoya, and similar subsequent purses

Comment

I learned stuff on my own to be honest...I never found school interesting. I loved art, I joined art clubs, the art teachers liked my drawings, that's about it. I know though, that in the US it really depends on the area you're from, schools differ greatly.

60% of your personality comes from peers, at least psychologists say. So if you go to school with degenerates, there's a good chance that's what you're going to be. Unless your parents and the genetic part of your personality helps you fight off becoming that
        Fair enough man, we all take different paths. I excelled in school but as I grew older I found myself getting a bit fed up of institutional education and just wanted to get my hands dirty and actually do something.

You can't be taught how to learn. School is really about teaching you how to function in the particular society those said schools have sprung up from. For instance, U.S will rarely ever used a text book from Mexico, whether it was published in English or not. Canada and US share borders, but most likely will never used the same text books, because their societies are kinda wired differently.

In other words, schools are merely an assembly line for the workforce that the society needs to function.
        I think my school (which was a state school) prepared me enough for life that I'm not a complete idiot and can research things on my own. Of course there is an element of schooling that prepare you to be part of the work-force as you grow older. That is the foundation you need in order to make a living and survive when you grow up so I don't understand why you're wording it like it's an issue.

Comment

It's why I said it was all bull**** and call him what you want. I'm well aware of the Tesla-Edison feud, and who did what

In the end, Edison got his hands on everything, he was the quick thinker. He thought smarter

An example of the now, and fittingly for a boxing forum...Floyd Mayweather can't read, or has difficulties reading, doesn't have a very good vocabulary, is probably terrible in math above 5h grade level...guess what, who cares, he thought leaArum would mean making more money. He was right, he got the right people around him he knew he couldn't do it by himself because he didn't have the knowledge to do it, and ended up leaving the worst contract in boxing for $750k or so, to earn $30 million dollars vs De La Hoya, and similar subsequent purses

What's with all the red herrings? No one claim people who are bad at math are going to fail at life or become poor. Neither did i say that those who are good at math will be rich and prosperous. People who are poor thinkers can easily recognize that they don't have the tools to do certain things and seek help. Thats call integrity or as they say in the hood, keeping it real. A poor thinker doesn't mean you can't think at all.

Also, my initial position was that the people with whom i have experience, who are poor at math, are usually poor thinkers and decision makers; so, unless you have shared my experience, you really have no say. It is funny you mentioned Floyd, because he went and hired people to make some of most critical decisions for him.

The ones which usually land him in trouble are the ones he made by himself. I am sure Al didn't tell him to fight his babymother. I don't have all day to list all the ****eries Floyd has done as i am sure you are aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Barn View Post
            Fair enough man, we all take different paths. I excelled in school but as I grew older I found myself getting a bit fed up of institutional education and just wanted to get my hands dirty and actually do something.

I think my school (which was a state school) prepared me enough for life that I'm not a complete idiot and can research things on my own. Of course there is an element of schooling that prepare you to be part of the work-force as you grow older. That is the foundation you need in order to make a living and survive when you grow up so I don't understand why you're wording it like it's an issue.
            The school didn't prepare us for life, but prepare us for work. And yes, work is a part of life. School is an option, but we were brainwashed to believe it is the only way. Everything we achieve in school we can achieve outside on our own. You don't need school to learn how to make a living or survive, but only to be part of the matrix. The difference is getting that piece of paper, so the government can keep tracked of who knows what. Just like marriage--marriage doesn't do **** all for anyone other than to let government know who and who is hooking up.

Dude, i have a degree in Accounting and Taxation, so i am not speaking as someone who is against school. I am just saying we can choose to be part of the system without believing all the ****ery they are telling us.

No, school is not a bad thing in its intention. However, it is sad, we are programmed to believe it is a necessity outside the context of society.

Comment

What's with all the red herrings? No one claim people who are bad at math are going to fail at life or become poor. Neither did i say that those who are good at math will be rich and prosperous. People who are poor thinkers can easily recognize that they don't have the tools to do certain things and seek help. Thats call integrity or as they say in the hood, keeping it real. A poor thinker doesn't mean you can't think at all.

Also, my initial position was that the people with whom i have experience, who are poor at math, are usually poor thinkers and decision makers; so, unless you have shared my experience, you really have no say. It is funny you mentioned Floyd, because he went and hired people to make some of most critical decisions for him.

The ones which usually land him in trouble are the ones he made by himself. I am sure Al didn't tell him to fight his babymother. I don't have all day to list all the ****eries Floyd has done as i am sure you are aware.
              Yes...which I mentioned

He was right, he got the right people around him he knew he couldn't do it by himself because he didn't have the knowledge to do it
              Because you said Edison hired people to do things for him

You also said people who are bad in math are generally poor thinkers and decision makers. Obviously, where it mattered most, Thomas Edison made the right decisions. And to a much, much lesser extent on society, more to himself, Floyd the illiterate guy who probably knows nothing more than elementary algebra, made the right decisions when it mattered most in his life

In other words, I am refuting your generalization that people who are poor at math are also poor thinkers and decision makers. That generalization of yours is most likely false, granted two examples isn't enough. But I am pretty sure it's a false generalization

Comment

OMG Excellent counters lmao!!!!

Comment

=-Kev-;16704915]Yes...which I mentioned

Because you said Edison hired people to do things for him
                  Your example of Edison being a good thinker is not solid, since he himself said he has to go and hired thinkers. His decision in this particular case was a good one, but that is besides the point, because i never said people who are bad at math can't think all, just that most are not good thinkers, apart from the exceptions i pointed out.

You also said people who are bad in math are generally poor thinkers and decision makers. Obviously, where it mattered most, Thomas Edison made the right decisions. And to a much, much lesser extent on society, more to himself, Floyd the illiterate guy who probably knows nothing more than elementary algebra, made the right decisions when it mattered most in his life

In other words, I am refuting your generalization that people who are poor at math are also poor thinkers and decision makers. That generalization of yours is most likely false, granted two examples isn't enough. But I am pretty sure it's a false generalization
                  Not exactly what i said. I think i have said this.....

"I usually find people who are poor in math are usually poor thinkers and bad decision makers"

This is talking about my experience, which i don't think you have the right to dismiss. Not once did i try to extrapolate to the general population, even though i strongly believe the correlation would be in my favour. When i talk about strong thinkers, i am speaking in relative terms. Let me qualify my position, by saying that "I" believe that people who are a good at maths are relatively better thinkers than those who are poor at math. Again, not saying that people who are bad at math can't think at all, far from it, but it wouldn't be hard to put 2 and 2 together to say math takes a lot of thinking, therefore, who are better at it, may just be better thinkers.

On a side note, there are people like me, who was good at it, but lazy as **** to apply myself. One of my schoolmate i tutor in 12 grade math is doing his phd now, and i am stuck with a BAS i struggle to get, because i was bored with all the repetitive shyt. I get irritated with emotional arguments. Also, one of my professor told me it is because i am left handed as he is, and we don't think as our right handed counterparts do, but this is another topic. I am thinking of making a thread about it and see what the other people here think. I can't be a master at anything because i am usually good in all of them, thus i can't focus or choose the one i want to focus on. Let me quit my ramblings because i am drinking again..

Comment

what is going on in this thread????

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
                      what is going on in this thread????
                      xD as if you dont know, man the world is full of manipulative sneaky people, im becoming more and more aware of this, I once thought most people were mostly just honest and moral, how wrong I was!

Comment

Working...
                      X