8 fighters Floyd Mayweather should have fought in their prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 fighters Floyd Mayweather should have fought in their prime

Joel Casamayor

Back in 2001, he was one of the reasons behind the surge in populatiry of the super featherweight and lightweight divisions. He was then undefeated and had an awkward style that most opponents had a tough time with. Floyd Mayweather shared the same time with Casamayor in those weight divisions but they never met.

Acelino Freitas
    Acelino Freitas was also one of those undefeated super featherweights at the turn of the millenium. Unlike Casamayor, Freitas was an extremenly exciting fighter. Freitas also did not get to fight Mayweather. Instead he locked horns with Casamayor and scored a decision win against him.

Kostya Tszyu

The Thunder from Down Under Kostya Tszyu was a blood and guts warrior who was a unified light welterweight champion in 2004. By 2005, Mayweather also stepped into that division but Tszyu lost via knockout to an up-and-coming Ricky Hatton. He called it quits after that.

Winky Wright

Mayweather, then with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotions, was already ironing out details for a fight against the dangerous Winky Wright back in 2005. Both camps already agreed to most details of the fight including rules about the weigh in to limit the advantage of the naturally bigger Wright. However, Mayweather pulled out late and instead fought Sharmba Mitchell.

Antonio Margarito

In 2006, Mayweather got a big offer to fight WBO welterweight champion Antonio Margarito. He declined and instead chose to fight Zab Judah who was coming off a loss to Carlos Baldomir.

Paul Williams
    For a time, Paul Williams was regarded as boxing's most ducked fighter. He was tall and lanky and a match-up nightmare for anyone in the welterweight division. He ended up getting put to sleep by Sergio Martinez but Williams could have given Mayweather a tough fight specially at 147 pounds.

Miguel Cotto

Miguel Cotto was an option for Mayweather in 2007 to 2008. But after beating Ricky Hatton, Mayweather decided it was better for him to retire from boxing. It robbed the fans of the best welterweight showdown at that point. Mayweather did fight Cotto at 154 years later but the Puerto Rican was already carrying the wear and tear from matches against Joshua Clottey, Antonio Margarito, and the last person on the list.

Manny Pacquiao

A match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is already years late. However, even at this point in time, it will still generate a lot of money for both fighters. Mayweather refuses to take a fight with Pacquiao as long as he is under Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotions.
    https://ph.sports.yahoo.com/photos/e...040631131.html

The moderators of this site should create a Mayweather is a coward/Mayweather is ducking master thread so clowns like you will stop creating these lame-a.ss threads every day.

Comment

InB4FloydTroopersChantTBE

Comment

Winky Wright or Williams would of been great

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
          The moderators of this site should create a Mayweather is a coward/Mayweather is ducking master thread so clowns like you will stop creating these lame-a.ss threads every day.
          What an ironic signature you have there.

Comment

floydiot: those names mentioned don't make any business sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              InB4FloydTroopersChantTBE
              lol i rewatched the maidana fight and floyds cousin was shouting tbe like 20 times. laughed my ass off

Comment

Originally posted by Kuyukut View Post
                floydiot: those names mentioned don't make any business sense.
                Y'all don't know about bidniz

Comment

Originally posted by Kingjames6 View Post
                  lol i rewatched the maidana fight and floyds cousin was shouting tbe like 20 times. laughed my ass off
                  Lol! I know; I didn't really catch that watching live but when I rewatched the fight and heard that I couldn't stop laughing.

I think UTEP made a meme about it

Comment

In all fairness Cotto lived too far away at the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X