Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Boxing Hall of Fame ballot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there ever any video footage or reports of these IBHOF inductions?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      One problem is that he is not on the ballot. He was a great hero to his people, but I don't see his credentials as being HOF worthy.
      I'm with you on that, you coudn't make a case for his inclusion on fight credentials alone.

It's the impact of his achievements that have got me to wondering. The 60's were a pivatol decade for Aboriginal rights and his career captured the spirit of what was happening on the continent at that time. If only fleetingly he gave the country a sense of togetherness, and I dare say he made some reconsider their assumptions and predudices.

It really comes down to whether you believe there's a place in the HOF for fighters whose careers, whilst stellar, aren't at the very top level but whose impact elevated the sport so it had meaning far beyond the ring.

I believe that there is. But, their impact has to be above and beyond if they don't have the corresponding ring credentials. I don't have enough knowledge on Rose to know whether that's the case with him (I suspect that he may just fall short), but he certainly had enough impact to get me thinking, and this thread may well inspire me to dig a little deeper.

Comment

How the hell Hilario Zapata is not in is beyond me.

He'd get my vote, in addition to Oscar, Tito, Calzaghe and Hamed.

I consider Hamed similar to Tyson. Lost the biggest fight of their career, but otherwise dominated a fairly weak division during their era. And of course, packed arenas due to their personality, style and excitement.

Comment

I only picked 5 choices, any more picks would take away from the exclusivity of having a Hall Of Fame, isn't that the point in the first place?

My picks were: Joe Calzaghe, a fine boxer who by the end of his career held some great wins, Felix Trinidad, one of the most exciting fighters I have had the joy of watching live, Oscar De La Hoya who did so much for the popularity of our sport, Donald Curry who was the leading welterweight of the 80s and of course, the ever polarising, Prince Hamed. He was such a talented young fighter who I got to know very well, sadly he wasted much of his prime by living a celebrity life, which cost him against Barrera.

I forgot to pick the other option but if I had, I would have picked Chris Eubank, has there ever been a fighter more deserving of being amongst the elite yet never having that honour?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
            and Yoko Gushikan was twice the fighter Roman was
            Can you explain why you think so?

/greeh

Comment

I would vote for Trinidad, Oscar and Kingpetch.

Bert Lytell or Ken Overlin on the list? If so, they would be the next 2 I would vote for.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                I would vote for Trinidad, Oscar and Kingpetch.

Bert Lytell or Ken Overlin on the list? If so, they would be the next 2 I would vote for.
                Lytell isn't on the ballot, but Overlin is.

Comment

Lytell isn't on the ballot, but Overlin is.
                  What a joke that neither Lytell or Booker are not even on the Ballot.

Two absolutely obvious choices for the HOF but instead we get the likes of Too Sharp Johnson and this year we will get Calzaghe.

Comment

Agree with your first four. Curry's prime was a little too short and Michalczewski was too regional, but maybe in a weaker year. My other was Tiger Jack Fox, who seems to be perennially underrated.
                    I'm with you on Tiger Jack Fox. He was an absolute wrecker with enough skill to hang tight with (and/or beat) guys like Maxie Rosenbloom and Jersey Joe Walcott (KO 8!). Way underrated -- possibly a top 10 or 15 all-time light heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      What a joke that neither Lytell or Booker are not even on the Ballot.

Two absolutely obvious choices for the HOF but instead we get the likes of Too Sharp Johnson and this year we will get Calzaghe.
                      Can you give me a breakdown for lytell and booker,,, not terribly familiar with there accomplishments, i know them as fighters, but could you please give alittle info on resumes and such,,,, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X