Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 120 View Post
    not anymore, not since the patriot act
    The thing is...

If I'm sitting at my home here in Copenhagen, Denmark and making a website that happens to have copyrighted material on it, uploaded by some OTHER user.

Why:

a) Shouldn't I be punished according to the laws in MY country?

B) Why should I be held responsible for what other people post and write and upload? Freedom of speech and information.. I aint seeing it. If you own a big website you can only do so much monitoring and prevention.. Slips are bound to happen.

Even Boxingscene would be closed - Video and trading section...
    Last edited by Grand Champ; 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I posted this in the other megaupload thread earlier today.

Gotta respect the brass balls on these hackers. ****ing with the Government is a felony offense, but they've got stones enough to do it on principle alone.

Here's to hoping they keep the pressure up and shut down more Government/SOPA supporting websites.

Comment

I blame the baby boomers.

Unfortunately US is now due a big PR scandal. Our government is really getting out of hand. If Anonymous can uncover some dirty laundry on our government agencies and really let them hang, I say do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
          The thing is...

If I'm sitting at my home here in Copenhagen, Denmark and making a website that happens to have copyrighted material on it, uploaded by some OTHER user.

Why:

a) Shouldn't I be punished according to the laws in MY country?

B) Why should I be held responsible for what other people post and write and upload? Freedom of speech and information.. I aint seeing it. If you own a big website you can only do so much monitoring and preventing work.. Slips are bound to happen.
          You make great points. Another small one I'd like to add, if I may.

This piracy "problem" is the fault of the most notorious backers of the SOPA bill, like the MPAA, and RIAA. It's "their" content that's being distributed illegally, so isn't the onus on them to fix the problem?

Both en****** business models are outdated as ****, by modern standards. As technology changes and the free distribution of knowledge, information, and art expands, it's up to companies who profit in those industries to either change with the times, or get left in the ****ing dust.

"Blockbuster" had to learn that lesson the hard way.

Comment

Imagine Americans being transported to China and held responsible for an obscure chinese law This is what this corrupt government is doing to citizins of other countries!!

Comment

And what about stuff that is distributed "illegally" that you can't obtain any other way? We're all boxing fans, so I'll use fights as an example.

It's not like any of us can walk into a store and be like : "Yeah, my man, hook me up with the Barrera/Morales trilogy on blu-ray."

The copyrights owners of sports never distribute the damn stuff. So what is a sports fan supposed to do about watching games/fights that aren't comercially available to us?

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
                I blame the baby boomers.

Unfortunately US is now due a big PR scandal. Our government is really getting out of hand. If Anonymous can uncover some dirty laundry on our government agencies and really let them hang, I say do it.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                  You make great points. Another small one I'd like to add, if I may.

This piracy "problem" is the fault of the most notorious backers of the SOPA bill, like the MPAA, and RIAA. It's "their" content that's being distributed illegally, so isn't the onus on them to fix the problem?

Both en****** business models are outdated as ****, by modern standards. As technology changes and the free distribution of knowledge, information, and art expands, it's up to companies who profit in those industries to either change with the times, or get left in the ****ing dust.

"Blockbuster" had to learn that lesson the hard way.
                  Yeah, it annoys them to no end that they can't record a CD once, then copy it 1million times and make average joe pay 30bucks for it.

So now they're doing it the Cosa Nostra way - buying off politicans and judges.

Comment

British Citizen May Face Extradition to the U.S. For Linking To Pirated Content

http://www.geekosystem.com/tvshack-p...e-extradition/

Comment

Agreed, Champ. Like I said, the business model is just ****ing horrible.

Another angle is that this bill could likely impact independent artists who rely on such sites for exposure. I'm sure that's music to the RIAA's ears, though, since they've wanted a monopoly on the industry for quite some time now.

Comment

Working...
                      X