Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward is the greatest Super Middleweight ever!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jermainerambo View Post
    bernard hopkins was not landing sh_t calzaghe had him running around the ring

after the fight bernard hopkins was talking about how his is the ultimate survivor that all he come to do was survive
    LOL you are living in a parallel fantasy world buddy. Hopkins was scoring with his lead right hand all night. He was landing on the inside with short hooks. He was landing throughout the fight. Turn the sound down, eliminate the crowds roar anytime calzaghe let loose a flurry of absolutely nothing which rarely landed in any form other than a glancing blow. Calzaghe had him 'running'. Running from what? Bernard was being cagey.... but there was hardly anything dangerous coming his way other than flurries that were deceptively ineffective and gave the illusion that he was being outhustled.

Im sure many have seen this before. Something well done that highlights the reality of the fight. Shows what was really happening when you disconnect from the crowd, the sense of atmosphere, and what the commentators/judges/lederman etc were or wern't seeing. With the gift of hindsight and the ability to watch and rewatch and rewatch again the footage whilst paying close attention to detail we can get a clearer picture of the fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyz2cws8LBE

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler View Post
      LOL you are living in a parallel fantasy world buddy. Hopkins was scoring with his lead right hand all night. He was landing on the inside with short hooks. He was landing throughout the fight. Turn the sound down, eliminate the crowds roar anytime calzaghe let loose a flurry of absolutely nothing which rarely landed in any form other than a glancing blow. Calzaghe had him 'running'. Running from what? Bernard was being cagey.... but there was hardly anything dangerous coming his way other than flurries that were deceptively ineffective and gave the illusion that he was being outhustled.
      calzaghe hit Bernard more times than he has ever been hit in his life and that is a fact

Comment

Originally posted by jermainerambo View Post
        calzaghe hit Bernard more times than he has ever been hit in his life and that is a fact
        How much of a fact that is depends on how much value you place on compubox punchstats. A system that is notorious for having huge limitations in terms of it's efficacy in distinguishing between glancing blows, blows that were partially blocked, near misses, blocked and blows that were clean and solid.

Saying that he was hit more than he was ever hit in his life doesn't = he was deserving of the loss. When a fighter is coming forward, pressuring, and throwing combinations of pity pat incredibly ineffective punches the debate is over how much value you place on this kind of aggression.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Name View Post
          Yeah but Calzaghe is also from Newbridge Wales and stood and trained all his life in Newbridge Wales. Ward lives and trains in America where the biggest fights are made and the best trainers work. Calzaghe was trained by a man (his loving dad) who never stood in the ring himself. Enzo Calzaghe is without a doubt a great father, but I could probably be a better trainer than him, since I've been boxing as an amateur for two years. I am more boxing-wise than Enzo Calzaghe

Imagine what Calzaghe could have done if based in USA instead of Newbridge Wales. With his enormous amount of talent he could've been a Hall Of Famer.

Anyway, I doubt that Ward could have beaten Joe Calzaghe at his peak.

I'll give you this: Ward has the chance to become the most successful supermiddleweight of all time, even tho he's really ugly to watch.
          Where to start?

1. He's a sure HOF'er
          2. You don't HAVE to have been a fighter to be a good coach (thought it helps).
          3. You wouldn't be 1% of the trainer Enzo is.
          4. You've got NO boxing knowledge compared to him.
          5. Stop trolling

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Name View Post
            Yeah but Calzaghe is also from Newbridge Wales and stood and trained all his life in Newbridge Wales. Ward lives and trains in America where the biggest fights are made and the best trainers work. Calzaghe was trained by a man (his loving dad) who never stood in the ring himself. Enzo Calzaghe is without a doubt a great father, but I could probably be a better trainer than him, since I've been boxing as an amateur for two years. I am more boxing-wise than Enzo Calzaghe

Imagine what Calzaghe could have done if based in USA instead of Newbridge Wales. With his enormous amount of talent he could've been a Hall Of Famer.

Anyway, I doubt that Ward could have beaten Joe Calzaghe at his peak.

I'll give you this: Ward has the chance to become the most successful supermiddleweight of all time, even tho he's really ugly to watch.
            You realise that some of the greatest trainers ever haven't had one fight? You don't need to have fought to be a great trainer. You need to understand training, motivation, strategy, technique and have the right mind for it. You do not need to have fought, and many of the greatest trainers ever prove that theory.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I imagine it would have been fantastic.

The problem is, he get's nothing for imaginary things.

The majority of reasoning for Calzaghe's 'Greatness' is based off pure imagination.

I'd probably lean on Calzaghe aswell at this point.

Again, means very little.
              Let it go... It's just sad that a spectacular fighter like Calzaghe never moved from his little hometown to find bigger chances. Props to Ward, if he beats Bute there will be no opposition left for him in the supermiddleweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler View Post

Someone mentioned roy jones. Roy jones would be an absolute stylistic nightmare for someone like ward. He doesn't engage guys in firefights. He is cagey, fights at his range, and is able to work with a much larger margin of error due to his speed and agility. Guys like hopkins and ward are technical fighters. They look for openings to exploit. The problem is against a guy like Roy Jones those openings never really come, he uses his speed, movement, and physical gifts to control the range and use unconventional means to be incredibly effective. Where textbook guys like ward and hopkins can usually exploit an opening, the opening is a mere illusion against the likes of a prime roy jones. They can't get the timing, distance, and rhythm worked out because someone likes jones effectively operates outside of the parameters of what is considered normal.
                Agreed

Wards competition, while good, have not shown they are hall of fame level. Roy at a similar age had beaten Bernard, Toney , Sosa and Mccallum. Ward has some good wins but not those types of wins. Also, Roy dismantled mid-level opponents.

I have to say , I believe Ward when he says," he is not yet a finish work."
                Last edited by old cat; 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

****in' a my brother.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
                    Ward is really good but Im slow to say SMW GOAT. And Zags was nothing to play with. I dont know why he gets disrespected so much. Thats coming from what they call a "yank". Like Ward he knew how to win. BTW he would have dominated Froch too.
                    Calzaghe gets disrespected so much because he reverts to slaps and Hopkins made him look like a tomato can ******

But Calzaghe is probably the best smw of all time but he looks ******ed sometimes and it lessens his respect

Comment

Working...
                    X