Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conor McGregor drew twice (nearly triple)as many buys in 1 year than entire boxing s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Umm...

How about beating Aldo, rematching Diaz, and then destroying the 155 champ..

Lmao at comparing broner's padded record to Conor's

Did broner quickly rematch porter or maidana.. has he ever faced a legit champ instead of paper champs or vacant belts??
    Conor is a good fighter...he just isnt a great fighhter...major difference. If he cant take you out, and gases, he gets tapped

He was charisma and an exciting style....he may become bigger

Antonio Demarco beat linares for the wbc and broner beat him...malignaggi was still a good fighter as well when he beat him...broner is not a natural welterweight. Maidana would have stopped a lesser man

Broner and Conor are swagger jackers....they dont have all time great skills like the man they mimic....floyd mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      miguel cotto is not a bigger star than conor mcgregor .

at no point in his career was he a bigger star than mcgregor is currently. and neither is canelo. hell they fought each other and sold less than a million ppv. mcgregor has several ppv with a million buys. nick diaz was the equivalent of a f#cking journeyman, ffs. anybody who has been wathcing mma knows who he is and what level he is / was at. dude was on TUF FFS .
      being a bigger star(cotto) and being heavily promoted(conor) are not the same thing

if they fought the same day....conor in ireland on vegas and cotto in new york...im sure cotto brings in more coin

look at their ppv #'s and purses...cotto is a bigger draw and star

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Exactly. Conor is marketing himself. Many boxers should learn this.

Whats funny is when an MMA dude does this, MMA fans show support. When a boxer does this, for example Broner, fans get all uppity and say hey, you can't act like that.
        Admittedly, McG is a brilliant marketer. Broner is just an idiot.

I don't see McG getting in scuffles with nobodies in parking lots over a few bucks. Broner has successfully alienated and turned away a lot of fans because they don't want to associate with a legit tool, whereas McG has pulled them in because his bravado is actually likeable to most.

And I severely dislike McG myself.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
          Admittedly, McG is a brilliant marketer. Broner is just an idiot.

I don't see McG getting in scuffles with nobodies in parking lots over a few bucks. Broner has successfully alienated and turned away a lot of fans because they don't want to associate with a legit tool, whereas McG has pulled them in because his bravado is actually likeable to most.

And I severely dislike McG myself.
          I can completely understand this but remember alot of the truly bad stuff wasn't happening when he was on HBO and trying to market himself as Mr. HBO.

It just seems that when Broner was doing his thing trying to get his name bigger, posters resented him for it. When Conor does his thing, MMA fans pass no judgement, they just enjoy it.

Boxers can have a big time promoter and a network deal but they still have to find a way to connect with fans. broner was at least trying to do that.

Comment

Its because mcgregor isnt scared to challenge himself unlike most boxers these days. Hes also a good trash talker and knows how to hype a fight. The #1 issue with boxing is that the best dont fight the best.

UFC fans wanted to see conor move up and challenge for a LW belt, he went right up and did it. Boxing fans want canelo to cut the **** and move up to 160 and fight GGG, but its just not happening and as a result UFC is garnering alot more interest.

Comment

I can completely understand this but remember alot of the truly bad stuff wasn't happening when he was on HBO and trying to market himself as Mr. HBO.

It just seems that when Broner was doing his thing trying to get his name bigger, posters resented him for it. When Conor does his thing, MMA fans pass no judgement, they just enjoy it.

Boxers can have a big time promoter and a network deal but they still have to find a way to connect with fans. broner was at least trying to do that.
              Conor actually wins big fights. Broner loses them. Thats the difference, is ppl are buying conors hype because he backs it up. Broner is all talk.

Comment

That's a good point, and probably a great example of recency bias on my part taking over.

Boxing fans are so notoriously (no pun intended) hard to win over, it's really a great example of the differences between your regular boxing fan, and regular MMA fan. MMA fans seems to embrace the "bad guy" easier - almost in a comical WWE way. Boxing seems to have this rich vein of "purist" attitude running through it still..

I want to like Broner a lot - he's a great vehicle for the anti-establishment character. I just forget my desire to like him and remember that he's acted like a total idiot in recent times. At least he's not dry as cardboard like most boxers these days, I guess.

I'm a deeply conflicted fan, and I shall never claim to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by RussTBE View Post
                  Conor actually wins big fights. Broner loses them. Thats the difference, is ppl are buying conors hype because he backs it up. Broner is all talk.
                  ACtually, they both lost the 1st time they went up in weight. They both came back as well.

You know I think Broner is a waste, but he did try and sell himself. I think more boxers need to try and do same.

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
                  That's a good point, and probably a great example of recency bias on my part taking over.

Boxing fans are so notoriously (no pun intended) hard to win over, it's really a great example of the differences between your regular boxing fan, and regular MMA fan. MMA fans seems to embrace the "bad guy" easier - almost in a comical WWE way. Boxing seems to have this rich vein of "purist" attitude running through it still..

I want to like Broner a lot - he's a great vehicle for the anti-establishment character. I just forget my desire to like him and remember that he's acted like a total idiot in recent times. At least he's not dry as cardboard like most boxers these days, I guess.

I'm a deeply conflicted fan, and I shall never claim to make sense.
                  Look, I agree with you about Broner today. Waste of talent. I just give him credit for trying to get people in the seats.

I also get not liking his schtick, everyone isn't going to.

broner is a character, right or wrong, just like Conor. Boxing needs more polarizing characters like them for fans to connect with or hate.

Just so long as they buy a ticket.

Comment

Look, I agree with you about Broner today. Waste of talent. I just give him credit for trying to get people in the seats.

I also get not liking his schtick, everyone isn't going to.

broner is a character, right or wrong, just like Conor. Boxing needs more polarizing characters like them for fans to connect with or hate.

Just so long as they buy a ticket.
                    You got it! Whatever puts butts in seats and eyes on the TV. Boxing needs followers, especially now.

Comment

How much does a MMA PPV event cost?

Comment

Working...
                      X