Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arum on why he can't co-promote with GB. Schaefer agrees.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arum on why he can't co-promote with GB. Schaefer agrees.

I found this part interesting. Never heard this in between all the name calling. Makes sense.
    According to the veteran promoter, there are other ancillary issues that have to be dealt with other than the animosity between the two rival companies. “You have to understand; this is not just bombast. There are various elements in doing a co-promotion with them that are irreconcilable. Number one, [Golden Boy has] a different major sponsor for Mares - they have Corona; we have Tecate. They have a different television network in Mexico. They have Televisa; we have TV Azteca.”

Then there’s this from Arum, “I would rather go out of business then do a fight on Showtime, where the guy who’s running Showtime (Stephen Espinoza) doesn’t return calls, just f**ks us around. So if they want to do a fight for Mares against Donaire and they came up with a number that’s acceptable, of course, we’ll do it.”

If there is one thing Arum and Schaefer do see eye-to-eye on (and yes, they actually agree on something), it’s that there are legitimate issues regarding sponsors and networks. “Bob is right there,” Schaefer conceded, “but that’s why I think when you do a purse bid, then all those issues go away, because, ‘Hey, sorry, we don’t control it,’ and vice-versa. So it is what it is. So Bob can go to his partners and we can go to our partners and everybody is going to have to sharpen their pencils and based on those numbers, we would then participate in such a purse bid. Whoever has more money on the table will obviously be able to pay more for the fight.”
    http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-bo...naire-get-made
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM.

It really only make sense for them to work together on the biggest of fights (or at least very big fights), for small fights there isn't anything in it for them to split so 1 getting a small show through a purse bid or otherwise is just how it has to be. I would hope they would be willing to contract their guys out for the right price and opportunity.

Comment

f0ck those 2 and their reasons

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
        I found this part interesting. Never heard this in between all the name calling. Makes sense.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/max-bo...naire-get-made
        BULL****. The reason is we don't want to show each other our books and don't want the other side knowing what we make. Period!!

Comment

Purse bids are only for title fights when the 2 sides can't agree. Truthfully I couldn't give a Flying F' what titles are at stake. Belts are just an assesory and a reason for an announcer to yell "...and still" or "...and new". Other than that title fights are a sham now.

Bottom line is they both want to make the lion's share of any given promotion and both want to call all the shots as to benefit their fighter, period.

Comment

while fans my not like hear that because we all just want to see the fights we want to see...Arum makes a very valid point!

Boxing is a BUSINESS FIRST! Both Promotions are looking to make the most money they can...FIRST! They after that maybe the care a little bit about what the fans want to see

It sucks as a fan but if your a business man...IT MAKE SENSE!

Comment

When is Mares' contract up, he sort of insinuated that he would be willing to leave in order to make the Donaire fight.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
                Purse bids are only for title fights when the 2 sides can't agree. Truthfully I couldn't give a Flying F' what titles are at stake. Belts are just an assesory and a reason for an announcer to yell "...and still" or "...and new". Other than that title fights are a sham now.

Bottom line is they both want to make the lion's share of any given promotion and both want to call all the shots as to benefit their fighter, period.
                thats true it was bad enough with 3 belts but now it's just unbearable. It's almost meaningless to be a champion

Comment

I dont think I like this Espinoza guy in office. Something tells me he's the main reason why Showtime is exclusively GBP fights while Top Rank is on HBO. The only GBP fighters that fight on HBO are Haymon fighters if Im not mistaken and I think we all know why.

Comment

There are ways to do business, its just they are making excuses to not do fights with each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X