Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took up Boxing; Where do beginners...begin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took up Boxing; Where do beginners...begin?

Hello,

I've been a longtime observer of boxing. Watch a few fights/PPVs every year for the past decade or so.

Now, at 25 years old, I want to learn the sweet science.

I've picked up some starting Everlast gear, including wraps and jump rope, and began learning the speed bag, double bag, and wail on a heavy bag every other day for the past 2 months.

Normally, I'm in the gym 3x-4x's a week and my workout is a 2 hr mix of running, weight training, and bag work. I have not found a dedicated boxing gym or a trainer yet.

I don't have any professional goals, just to learn the sport more & work on my stamina/fitness, hence the hesitation to hire a trainer. I also don't believe I can afford a gym membership and a trainer.

For someone like me, what/where would be a good starting point?

I've been relying on YouTube videos to teach me more finer points, but there's only so much you can learn on video.

Originally posted by NYBoxing View Post
    Hello,

I've been a longtime observer of boxing. Watch a few fights/PPVs every year for the past decade or so.

Now, at 25 years old, I want to learn the sweet science.

I've picked up some starting Everlast gear, including wraps and jump rope, and began learning the speed bag, double bag, and wail on a heavy bag every other day for the past 2 months.

Normally, I'm in the gym 3x-4x's a week and my workout is a 2 hr mix of running, weight training, and bag work. I have not found a dedicated boxing gym or a trainer yet.

I don't have any professional goals, just to learn the sport more & work on my stamina/fitness, hence the hesitation to hire a trainer. I also don't believe I can afford a gym membership and a trainer.

For someone like me, what/where would be a good starting point?

I've been relying on YouTube videos to teach me more finer points, but there's only so much you can learn on video.
    First and foremost, boxing stance....
    You don't have a trainer,so find something that shows a good boxing stance....that is the bases to everything you will do.... When you find one, get a straight line, and walk up and down that line everyday I your boxing stance for one week... Left foot forward first,follow with the back foot while keeping your stance ( ie your feet should never be close to each other nor 2 far apart) repeat the process while going back, move your right leg 1st and so on.....
    Come back for tip 2 next week when youv got that down..
    And keep your hands up when moving

Comment

Your going to need a trainer to help you learn the basics or you'll learn them completely wrong. Everything in boxing looks a lot easier than it actually is so learning it right the first time, so that you practice correctly is pretty important.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
        Your going to need a trainer to help you learn the basics or you'll learn them completely wrong. Everything in boxing looks a lot easier than it actually is so learning it right the first time, so that you practice correctly is pretty important.
        I'm not adverse to getting training, but I have no idea what I should be looking for in a trainer. I don't want to give money at a guy who can't coach and teaches me bad form.

Comment

I'm not adverse to getting training, but I have no idea what I should be looking for in a trainer. I don't want to give money at a guy who can't coach and teaches me bad form.
          It's really hard to find a good trainer especially if your not in the local boxing circuit wherever you live. I recommend looking for a boxing gym that has a Strong focus on amateur boxers.

There's a lot of guys who don't know **** but think there qualified to call themselves a boxing trainer. Honestly it's a big problem.

You just have to search around, ask questions about there experience, look online.

Comment

It's really hard to find a good trainer especially if your not in the local boxing circuit wherever you live. I recommend looking for a boxing gym that has a Strong focus on amateur boxers.

There's a lot of guys who don't know **** but think there qualified to call themselves a boxing trainer. Honestly it's a big problem.

You just have to search around, ask questions about there experience, look online.
            This.

The best sign you can look for in a trainer/gym is if they have trained any decent fighters. Guys who have been been to golden gloves, regional tournaments, state/national tournaments etc...if they have guys who have won some titles you are onto something really good

If the gym/trainer has been around for more than a few years and they've never even sent anyone to a tournament.. They are most likely ****

Comment

Look for public boxing programs, like your public park. They are usually a lot less expensive then private gym and will get you started. Like others have said it's important to learn properly. If you learn wrong, it's hard to re-learn once bad habits have been established.

Comment

Take some time to look at what god gave you.

What weight class do you think you have the body for?

Are you long for your weight?

Do you have natural power?

Are you quick?

Are you right handed or left handed?

Do you have a good beard?

Now take the time to study successful fighters who has similar natural gifts. Style needs to be synergized with gifts. Build a style the takes full advantage of your natural gifts while protecting your natural weaknesses.

When you find that style what works well for your gifts find a trainer who knows how to teach that style. There are a lot of good trainers that are too connected to one style. They are like system coaches in other sports. The moment that talent doesn't fit the system they lose, see Roberto Garcia trying to train southpaws. And I'm not bashing. Look at great trainers. Emmanuel Steward had his most success training a specific body type to fight his style Kenty, Hearns, Lewis, Klitschko all have very similar natural gifts. Cus D'Amato, his two best fighters, Tyson and Patterson, were physical clones of each other.

Dont fall into this trap. Find a trainer who works well for your gifts. Natural gifts make styles work and no trainer knows every style.
                Last edited by GTTofAK; 05-12-2016, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Listen to what this guy sais. I pissed 3 years of my life training with a complete fraudster.

Comment

Seeing as you're from NYC, AddiX, do you recommend any gyms in the 5 boroughs?

Comment

Working...
                    X