No announcement yet.

We get boxing on free TV so whats all the complaints about PBC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
    We get to see the NBA and NFL on Free TV too, only difference is we see the best play the best more times than not.

I love Boxing being back on Network TV, but if we're not seeing the best fights made then it's a pointless venture.
    I hate this reasoning, the best fights can't happen every event, the more events you do the less that can happen, and it's foolish from a business perspective to stack up your best matches first when you have a contract.

Comment

The production and commentary sucks they make it boring
      At least lampley is busting nuts left and right trying to make it exciting
      They have had some decent match ups but PBC finds a way to make them snooze fests that's my complaint

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
        The production and commentary sucks they make it boring
        At least lampley is busting nuts left and right trying to make it excitingThey have had some decent match ups but PBC finds a way to make them snooze fests that's my complaint
        ......BANG, BANG, BANG......Lampley busting those "Pops" nuts lol

It is kinda lame how the fighters walk out by themselves.....looks more like WCW Than boxing

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
          Thurman is extremely entertaining in and out of the ring and has a highly accessible, magnetic personality -- a natural in front of the camera. If he was being built the way K2 / HBO built Golovkin, Thurman would be just as big or bigger than GGG.
          But Thurman isn't kept sufficiently active and he isn't being aggressively marketed to the fans the way I think a man of Thurman's talents truly deserves.
          Great post...I totally agree....and I wont even be baited into GGG convo....another thread entirely....both dudes have similar resume and talent....GGG is marketed well and has had a very active schedule for a top contender in his division in his defense

Comment

So what you're saying is that boxing on free tv excuses crappy match ups?

I will say that Sp1ke TV seems to have pretty good matches, more so than the other networks.

Also, the commentators suck for the most part. At the very least they should get rid of Sugar Ray Leonard. Great fighter but as a commentator he actually makes Lennox Lewis look good.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              Great post...I totally agree....and I wont even be baited into GGG convo....another thread entirely....both dudes have similar resume and talent....GGG is marketed well and has had a very active schedule for a top contender in his division in his defense
              Thanks. And it wasn't bait, lol. I mean for whatever reason if you're not fighting the best (b/c the best won't fight you, or b/c your boss won't let you fight the top guys, etc.) -- whatever it is -- at the very least, just be active. Fight 4 times a year.

The problem is that Keith is probably on a $1M+ guarantee every time out. Which means Haymon can't afford to put him in the ring 4x per year. You can't build a name with the casual fans if you aren't constantly appearing on their TV screens.

The genius of marketing GGG was the same formula they used with young Mike Tyson: knock someone out in spectacular fashion, make the casual fans say, "holy ****, when can we see this guy again?" ... and the answer would be, "3 months, same time, same channel (HBO), see you then"

... after Thurman fights, the answer is, "umm, it's unclear, possibly on CBS, ESPN, NBC, Bounce, FS1???"

... and there's the whole belt quest thing. Casual fans don't understand the alphabet soup but they know what undisputed means and they like the inherently appealing concept of one champ. Tyson gave them that. GGG is trying to do the same.

I don't see the current PBC formula (with substantial periods of inactivity for many fighters who do have star potential) as a formula that is conducive to building stars.

The only guy Haymon has been keeping very active is Wilder. But then what do they do? They take one of their fastest-growing stars and place his most recent fight head-to-head with NFL playoff games last Saturday night. That was just stupid. Whoever made that decision should be fired immediately.

Getting back to the point though, Thurman should be as big or bigger than GGG right now but I would argue that his career is being poorly handled right now.

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
                Thanks. And it wasn't bait, lol. I mean for whatever reason if you're not fighting the best (b/c the best won't fight you, or b/c your boss won't let you fight the top guys, etc.) -- whatever it is -- at the very least, just be active. Fight 4 times a year.

The problem is that Keith is probably on a $1M+ guarantee every time out. Which means Haymon can't afford to put him in the ring 4x per year. You can't build a name with the casual fans if you aren't constantly appearing on their TV screens.

The genius of marketing GGG was the same formula they used with young Mike Tyson: knock someone out in spectacular fashion, make the casual fans say, "holy ****, when can we see this guy again?" ... and the answer would be, "3 months, same time, same channel (HBO), see you then"

... after Thurman fights, the answer is, "umm, it's unclear, possibly on CBS, ESPN, NBC, Bounce, FS1???"

... and there's the whole belt quest thing. Casual fans don't understand the alphabet soup but they know what undisputed means and they like the inherently appealing concept of one champ. Tyson gave them that. GGG is trying to do the same.

I don't see the current PBC formula (with substantial periods of inactivity for many fighters who do have star potential) as a formula that is conducive to building stars.

The only guy Haymon has been keeping very active is Wilder. But then what do they do? They take one of their fastest-growing stars and place his most recent fight head-to-head with NFL playoff games last Saturday night. That was just stupid. Whoever made that decision should be fired immediately.

Getting back to the point though, Thurman should be as big or bigger than GGG right now but I would argue that his career is being poorly handled right now.
                You highlighted a lot of the "little things" Haymon and his associates need to improve to enhance their product. Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  You highlighted a lot of the "little things" Haymon and his associates need to improve to enhance their product. Good post.
                  agreed

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    agreed
                    If they bring Schaeffer and some of his associates on I would expect some changes.

For instance, I get that you get 2 cards the last 2 weeks. I'd rather have seen wilder/spilka paired with danny/ghost and maybe a spence/tune up this week on ESPN. Promote it, get wilder and danny espn guest spots, have an actual press event 5 weeks prior to the fight.

Comment

I have no complaints. It's no different from watching FNF fights, except when watching PBC you always have this expectation of the main card being always a showcase fight starring a PBC top star. You'd immediately ask yourself, "When is this guy going to fight one of the Charlo brothers, and so on?" It's always like watching a predictable movie in which the hero always gets the girl.

Comment

Working...
                      X