2001 Marco Antonio Barrera vs 1984/1985 Azumah Nelson At FW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Marco Antonio Barrera vs 1984/1985 Azumah Nelson At FW

Who wins and how?

I would favor Azumah Nelson in this one. Probably by stoppage actually. I've always thought that Barrera had trouble with high energy and/or competent in your face fighters. An explosive guy like Junior Jones was a handful for Marco and, later, Rocky Juarez provided plenty to deal with in their first go around. A powerful, well schooled boxer like Azumah Nelson would be too much in my opinion.

Comment

I go for the 2001 Barrera, he was a smart, smart boxer.....probably at the peak of his powers around then, he could fight at a frightening pace as he did in the first Moralles fight or he could box intelligently with incredible defensive skill as in the Hamed fight. He was far better than the guy who lost what 5 years earlier to Junior Jones. Nelson was great but I think Barrera would find a way to neutralise him.

Off topic, I'd even favour peak Barrera over the featherweight version of Pacquiou. He was past prime when he met Pac first time and possibly was a touch undermotivated as Barrera was the betting favorite, Pac was seen as a little guy moving up. How things change now!!!

Barrera was always better as the underdog. The fights with Moralles and Hamed are classics.

Comment

Working...
      X