Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like MMA or Not Boxing cold learn a thing or two from them.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KOVALEVKO View Post
    http://boxing.nv.gov/results/Top_Boxing_Gates/

http://boxing.nv.gov/results/Top_MMA_Gates/

Boxing PPV has surpassed 2 million PPV buys three times and mma never has.

Canelo vs Golovkin is bigger than any mma fight at the moment.

Careful about believing the numbers reported for ufc ppv figures.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/promote...0826--box.html

One of the biggest issues with ufc as well is it has been reported that the athletes only receive 12-16% of the revenue.

Boxing has surpassed 2 million in the past, they can't even break a million now with no floyd or manny..
    Canelo-Golovkin had they fought in September wouldn't do as good as Conor's 2 PPv this year,, diaz-Conor doubled up canelo-cotto, the rematch will do the same of not triple up canelo-ggg... Plus they got lesner and Aldo-Edgar 2 this weekend that will do well over a million buys, plus Rhonda's return will do a million..

If canelo-cotto couldn't break a million, I see no chance for canelo-ggg to do it..
    Cotto is a much bigger star than Golovkin and has coheadlined many huge PPVs and did massive million+ buys with floyd and manny..

As for the ufc fighter pay only being a small percent of revenue,,, i think the fighters should get at least 50% like most sports, but if they did, then they would basically be quadrupling their pay and blowing away the paydays of canelo, ggg, Ward, kovolev, etc

Comment

I don't know , but just because your able to replace Jones with the once great Silva who hasn't won in like 4 years and admits he hasn't trained in like 4 months and has what a 2-3 days notice isn't really impressive. It screams desperation also on the card is a women's bout and a former wrestler who doesn't like to be hit. Nothing screams too notch to me.

I view the UFC as a brand that has plateaued and probably going downhill, that's why they want to sell to the Chinese , The fact that their biggest star is a women who had what like 10 fights shows what a joke it has become relying on gimmicks. It's working for now but it's still a gimmick

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
        I don't know , but just because your able to replace Jones with the once great Silva who hasn't won in like 4 years and admits he hasn't trained in like 4 months and has what a 2-3 days notice isn't really impressive. It screams desperation also on the card is a women's bout and a former wrestler who doesn't like to be hit. Nothing screams too notch to me.

I view the UFC as a brand that has plateaued and probably going downhill, that's why they want to sell to the Chinese , The fact that their biggest star is a women who had what like 10 fights shows what a joke it has become relying on gimmicks. It's working for now but it's still a gimmick
        Dude, you don't even too seem to know much about ufc, no offense...

Silva is just a last ditch effort to get Cormier a fight, I can't really complain about it except it's a non title fight

Lesner vs hunt is fascinating because yes leonar doesn't like to get hit, but hunt doesn't like the ground,, it's 2 different styles clashing,,, goes to the ground, lesner dominates and destroys him... If it stays standing up, hunt is going to brutally ko him.. It's like the best possible freakshow fight they can make

Plus you have Tate-Nunez for women's title, and the girls always throw down more so than the guys..

Aldo-Edgar 2 is a matchup of 2 great fighters for basically Conor's vacant belt

Cain-Browne is a matchup of 2 of the top 5 heavyweights

Lauzon vs diego Sanchez will be exciting

Gomi vs miller is 2 veterans going all out to stay relevant...

If this was a boxing card it would be
        brook-Marquez
        John cena in a boxing match vs roy jones
        Crawford-postal
        Martinez-salido
        Ortiz-Povetkin
        Devon- ghost
        Julio Diaz vs ortiz

Can you imagine a mma fan saying that card isn't much,, no floyd or manny, just gimmicks

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          It's dead? Or, last year it did a PPV record that the ufc has never even come close to doing. Ufc hasn't even done close to half of that. Just last year.
          Boxing dead doe....

And don't bring up Manny and May, people said the exact same shyt when DLH retired.
          i think the manny and floyd fight was more of an outlier than the trend. 2016 numbers are gonna be ****. Especially since the ggg-canelo fight wont be happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            You don't understand how business works. Boxing doesn't live or die on a 6 month scale. You're playing Jr politician with the other NSBers crying that the sky is falling because this spring was slow. When a joke fight like Canelo Khan can do 400 to 500k, boxing is in good shape. UFC numbers have been equally mediocre in the first half, it's not a sign that ufc is dying either.
            Also its not all about numbers, the quality of boxing fights have not been so good. Canelo, the biggest boxing star right now will be fighting 3 duds this year, GGG same old stuff, Kov and Ward are fighting nobodies until they will fight eachother. Wilder fight is off, we had the porter thurman fight, crawford-postol, and hopefully Kov-Ward this year.

Comment

Originally posted by muslimer12 View Post
              Also its not all about numbers, the quality of boxing fights have not been so good. Canelo, the biggest boxing star right now will be fighting 3 duds this year, GGG same old stuff, Kov and Ward are fighting nobodies until they will fight eachother. Wilder fight is off, we had the porter thurman fight, crawford-postol, and hopefully Kov-Ward this year.
              You're talking "quality"?? Have you seen the UFC 200 line-up? That's their darling card of the year.
              In boxing we have Postol/Crawford, Fury/Wlad2, Thurman/Porter, Salido/Vargas, Ward/Kov, Santa/Frampton, and who knows what else will come down the pike.

I watch and love both sports and have no reason to defend either against the other but MMA (specifically UFC) is not having a particularly quality year. Boxing started slow but has a lot to come in the 2nd half. In MMA we're looking at garbage like Bisping/Hendo2 FFS.
              Last edited by Redd Foxx; 07-08-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Dude, you don't even too seem to know much about ufc, no offense...

Silva is just a last ditch effort to get Cormier a fight, I can't really complain about it except it's a non title fight

Lesner vs hunt is fascinating because yes leonar doesn't like to get hit, but hunt doesn't like the ground,, it's 2 different styles clashing,,, goes to the ground, lesner dominates and destroys him... If it stays standing up, hunt is going to brutally ko him.. It's like the best possible freakshow fight they can make

Plus you have Tate-Nunez for women's title, and the girls always throw down more so than the guys..

Aldo-Edgar 2 is a matchup of 2 great fighters for basically Conor's vacant belt

Cain-Browne is a matchup of 2 of the top 5 heavyweights

Lauzon vs diego Sanchez will be exciting

Gomi vs miller is 2 veterans going all out to stay relevant...

If this was a boxing card it would be
                brook-Marquez
                John cena in a boxing match vs roy jones
                Crawford-postal
                Martinez-salido
                Ortiz-Povetkin
                Devon- ghost
                Julio Diaz vs ortiz

Can you imagine a mma fan saying that card isn't much,, no floyd or manny, just gimmicks

Your right I don't really follow UFC anymore for a variety of reasons.

But the fact is Silva is 40+ hasn't won in 4 years and hasn't trained in months is a good thing? he's a name that's all to draw interest. Women's combat sports Is mostly a gimmick & Lesnars a WWE fighter. All 3 of those bouts are circus sideshows and to me doesn't show a sport that isn't relying on gimmicks. It's top 3 fights for this card are all gimmicks and that's a good thing to you

Jon Cena in a boxing match really? that's a fu.cking sideshow and would be a disgrace. You comparing your imaginary boxing card isn't the same at all. The top 3 fights for this card is essentially
                Roy Jones vs Wilder
                Random women fight
                Jon Cena vs Arreola
                And your telling me this isn't On some clown sh.it

Women's sports is a inferior product, they do nothing better then men except look better in booty shorts and that's why viewership in women's sports pale in comparison to males except when their dressed like skanks because the athleticism and talent isn't there, and the UFC has resorted to pushing this product as a priority , thats a joke

I like Aldo / Edgar though, and it's cool that you think this is a great card but to me it's whatever

Yeah boxing could steal some things from UFC, but using gimmicks and putting in past great fighters on 2 days notice aren't those things

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
                  The way that UFC continuously finds ways to salvage injured fighters/failed tests is impressive. Jones fails a test? No biggie. They'll just put the greatest p4p fighter ever in his place on 2 days notice. It's stuff like that that separates MMA from boxing. Fury rolls his ankle and we have to wait 3 months for the fight to happen. Povetkin tests positive and Wilder fights a guy who's not even in the top 15.

When boxing is at its best there's nothing better. Thurman/Porter is as good as it gets. That being said imagine if it was run similar to the UFC?
                  Who is the greatest p4p fighter ever in UFC? Because it definitely isn't Lesnar.

It's still a good card and I'll watch it but without a legitimate fight to headline, it's not the best card they've ever had.

I do agree that boxing could learn by producing at least semi-world class replacement opponents or fights or events but the issue is, the UFC IS NOT MMA, the UFC is simply the most powerful brand within that sport so can put on the fights that matter, when they matter.

Boxing is a sport without a single governing entity more powerful than the others.

Comment

Working...
                  X