No announcement yet.

Feinting, a lost art?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    I mentioned this on the LL vs Ingo thread a couple of days ago.
    Lewis was very proficient at feinting and did it in nearly all of his fights. He liked to give the impression he was gassing or distressed and would do a slow feint to the left and unleash a right hand bomb almost simultaneously.
    Ive been watching alot of Lewis lately tho im no fan and i picked up on this too. Nice trick of his

Comment

With the smaller gloves back then feinting may have been even more effective. With a smaller gloves the fighters may have had to parry more punches with the palms of their gloves. A feint could maybe open up an opening a little more effectively then it can now. Sometimes even now I am surprised how little feinting is used though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        Ive been watching alot of Lewis lately tho im no fan and i picked up on this too. Nice trick of his
        Lewis facinates me. In some ways i can see were Sonny's coming from when he criticises him, because he wasn't imo a great fighting mans fighter, but as a tactition he was second to none. An absolute master of fooling opponents into deep water b4 drowning them.

Comment

I'm convinced Wilfred Benitez often missed out on the judges' respect on their cards for his feinting --- in a way he wouldn't have gone as unappreciated in eras past.

Comment

Feinting has been largely lost now. The most common and obvious feint still used today is the jab-left hook. Mayweather uses this more, and much better, than anyone else today. He is not close to being the best feinter since Charley Burley though. However, it was a very common practice used by most fighters. Difficult to grasp because the jab is used so much and blocking it is such an instinctive reaction, so you drop your own right hand down without thinking too much then the hook comes around it. It's how he's dropped many guys.

I think it started to really die out in the nineties. It was still used proficiently by many, many fighters in the 60 and 70's. Today, and it used by some, but not nearly as many and not nearly as well.

Charles was another brilliant feinter. Hopkins is better than Mayweather at it. Actually, one of the best feints I've seen in recent years was Hopkins against Trinidad to knock him out. Perfectly timed, well thought out feint. The uppercut thrown wide to draw Tito's patented left hook and open his left side, block, then throw short right to the point of the chin. Beautiful.

Comment

Working...
            X