Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kathy Duva questions the Haymon Boxing Model (good read)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broner maidana was originally announced as ppv until the backclash from nsb.

They will have broner vs maidana 2 down the line on ppv

And Stacked cards with several good fights on one card on ppv hoping the NBC exposure gets them buys and featuring fights between welterweights like Garcia, Thurman , and higher weights wilder and Chaves jr

Comment

Before I read, I just want to say Kathy Duva has been a bitter **** about losing her NBC deal to Haymon's timeshares.

Comment

I think looking at a guy who's doing something different than others & saying he can't do it or how could he do it & that sorta stuff is pretty standard.

Haymon is a dozen moves ahead of Kathy f#cking Duva's thought process lol. Regardless if he fails or succeeds Kathy Duva is in the corner with a dunce hat on in comparison to Haymon. Quit hating on the guy cuz you took a L.

Hell hath no annoying yammering like a woman scorned.

Comment

Ok, skimmed through it and read only what she had to sya. I completely agree with her on this.

Boxing has long preserved a griminess, a degree of filth, other sports lost generations before; boxing retained a sense of the unexpected in a way that made other sports appear overwrought and scripted***8230;. Television was a guest at boxing events, or at least telecasts felt like they were conducted by guests; proper boxing matches had a sense of inevitability to them, an implication this grievance would be settled, regardless of witness, at this time, on this evening, and television cameras just happened to be there.

For Barry, and perhaps other traditionalists, a touch of what made boxing unique was absent in Saturday***8217;s PBC show:

Saturday***8217;s NBC debut, instead, had other sports***8217; feel: We are here because television invited us, and do you know how great is the reach of public airwaves? And have you seen our incredible commentating team? And would you please have a listen to our soundtrack? If it did not feel quite scripted, it neither felt like a collection of brawls that were going to happen even if television cameras went dark.
          Now, I dont agree with her on the sponsor things. She says when she did ok numbers outside of primteime the sponsors didnt come running. Well I wonder why? You dont have any fighters. You cant make any sustained push. That was pretty easy to answer.

One important aspect the Duva and the lot of you seemingly dont understand... Is that these two years of bought time are an investment, a tryout. The goal is to secure a network deal, similar to the UFC's 7 year 100m/yr deal. That amount of money in boxing where 80% of the money goes to fighters would allow for every major fight in boxing to be made under one show.

Then Haymon would be working under a budget, where he has a secure profit, and retaining 20m a year. Not sure why people are not understanding the investment part of this. Investments are gambles, and this is a big gamble.
          Last edited by Da Machine; 03-11-2015, 08:32 AM.

Comment

kathy duva is a real boxing head, probably the best promoter in the sport right now

Comment

One thing that's alarming to me are the extraordinarily large purses fighters are getting to fight sparring partners/overmatched opposition.

Mares, Leo Santa Cruz, S. Porter, Danny Garcia, Peterson, Etc.. etc.. have all been paid extremely well to face mediocre opposition recently. Like the article said, how much would it cost to actually attempt to put together a good fight in the future, seeing as how fighters will be demanding ballooned numbers? If PBC has to cut back on purses, how would the fighters take paycuts after being showered with cash? Not only fighters in the PBC but fighters across the sport might begin to demand higher figures and in turn some fights might never come into fruition on the other networks unwilling to shell out the cash demanded. It's a sticky situation :T

I said it plenty of times before, the PBC has the sport of boxing on its shoulders right about now, hope it succeeds or else everyone will pay the price.

Comment

I understand what she's saying, but Haymon's only into phase 1 of his plan - take over the industry by choking everyone else out. That's the reason he's over spending on everything he does, he's taking complete control and trying to discourage others from opposing him.

Allegedly his investors have him backed for a 4 year plan. Once he becomes a monopoly or the PBC is atleast established as the major brand of boxing, you can expect him to become fiscally responsible.

It's ironic really. Alot of people in the sport mock the UFC due to the complete control it has over its fighters and the relatively low fighter pay, and alot of those very same people are currently under Haymon umbrella and that same scenario is heading their way. But the reality is, alot of boxers are overpaid due the HBO/Showtime subscriber model. Once they start having to earn their keep with viewerships (sponsors & ppv's) like the UFC, you'll see about the same level of pay for boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Machine View Post
                  Ok, skimmed through it and read only what she had to sya. I completely agree with her on this.

Now, I dont agree with her on the sponsor things. She says when she did ok numbers outside of primteime the sponsors didnt come running. Well I wonder why? You dont have any fighters. You cant make any sustained push. That was pretty easy to answer.

One important aspect the Duva and the lot of you seemingly dont understand... Is that these two years of bought time are an investment, a tryout. The goal is to secure a network deal, similar to the UFC's 7 year 100m/yr deal. That amount of money in boxing where 80% of the money goes to fighters would allow for every major fight in boxing to be made under one show.

Then Haymon would be working under a budget, where he has a secure profit, and retaining 20m a year. Not sure why people are not understanding the investment part of this. Investments are gambles, and this is a big gamble.
                  It's funny, I was explaining this concept to someone else but about another subject, Showtime. They act like these businessmen didn't already factor in LOSS. These guys know they are taking a gamble. But if they want gain, they have to take a risk. And the biggest gains usually come from investments where the risks is BIG.

You couldn't have said it better, investments are gambles, and this is a big gamble.

Comment

If Kathy Duva spent as much time talking about her fighters as she does PBC, she might still have that NBC deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1010011 View Post
                      I heard rumor,so don't quote me on this. The rumor was that haymon was giving mgm grand employees,discount s on tickets,and along with those discounts,came free tickets in order to make it appear as if they had a much larger audience. Do you know if this is true?
                      Look at the reaction of the audience. Didn't even seem like they knew who the fighters were. That definitely was not a boxing crowd. More of a "hey, we got free tickets, lets go" crowd.

Comment

Working...
                      X