Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kathy Duva questions the Haymon Boxing Model (good read)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Great read. While Kathy still seems somewhat bitter she got moved out, she does make solid points.

The main difference between her and Haymon is he has associations with major sponsors from his days as a concert promoter which should make it easier for him to obtain sponsorship.
    yeah its kinda the same reason I think Rocnation can be exteremely succesful if they start to pick up steam, cause jayz and his brand obviously has tons of connection to to brands so endorsement and sponsors shouldent be hard, hell loook at cotto 50 mil and he gonna get endorsements and all that.

the old way of boxing promotion might be getting phased out if haymon and jay succeed. If they do great and if they dont sucks for them all I want is for them not to gay up boxing like the PBC event that shit was corny loooked like some wwe event.

Comment

Originally posted by Psylence83 View Post
      I think it came from a tweet from Dan Raphael....???
      Yeah I think it came from big Dan,so it may or may not be true. What I do know,is that there was a noticeable amount of empty seats at the mgm that night. Not a huge amount,but more than you'd think,especially with the amount of advertising they had for the fights.

Comment

The first shows are investments in the product -- develop a baseline for ratings and grow the product from there is the idea, I'm sure.

To use the restaurant analogy, or any start-up business, you usually aren't making money from day one.

PBC, presumably, owns the product (as opposed to NBC or whatever network it's on), so there is a future revenue stream for selling to overseas networks, which I would assume is also the plan.

Is it sustainable at current levels of spending vs. revenue? Probably not. But he stands a much better chance of growing the revenue side than did Duva, who was basically given a budget and chose to spend as little as possible to put on crap cards rather than build stars who could then generate bigger income.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Checc View Post
          yeah its kinda the same reason I think Rocnation can be exteremely succesful if they start to pick up steam, cause jayz and his brand obviously has tons of connection to to brands so endorsement and sponsors shouldent be hard, hell loook at cotto 50 mil and he gonna get endorsements and all that.

the old way of boxing promotion might be getting phased out if haymon and jay succeed. If they do great and if they dont sucks for them all I want is for them not to gay up boxing like the PBC event that shit was corny loooked like some wwe event.
          I wasn't a big fan of the production but if it brings in more fans then its a necessary evil IMO. Hopefully though they get rid of flores/ali and give Marv and SRL more time to talk. I've always liked when Marv does fights.

Besides, the quality of the fights ultimately are what matter to me. That is what will make me watch or not watch.

Comment

I pretty much said what Duva just stated when this was first announced. Without sponsors buying airtime during these boxing events, this will fail. In order to attract sponsors you will need to put on dramatic high action fights that draw consistent high viewership. 2 technical boxers jabbing and pawing at eachother for 12 rounds is the worst thing that can happen to PBC as for as trying to secure sponsorship.

Comment

About one month and a half ago, I also started a thread here for questioning the actual Al Haymon's business model...
              ... Now it appears that he needs TV public in huge numbers in order to attract advertising... I don't see from where big sponsors would emerge in the short run...

Comment

Originally posted by saintpat;15455927[I
                ]The first shows are investments in the product -- develop a baseline for ratings and grow the product from there is the idea, I'm sure.[/I]
                To use the restaurant analogy, or any start-up business, you usually aren't making money from day one.

PBC, presumably, owns the product (as opposed to NBC or whatever network it's on), so there is a future revenue stream for selling to overseas networks, which I would assume is also the plan.

Is it sustainable at current levels of spending vs. revenue? Probably not. But he stands a much better chance of growing the revenue side than did Duva, who was basically given a budget and chose to spend as little as possible to put on crap cards rather than build stars who could then generate bigger income.
                Yes but Haymon is blowing his load with his first 2 cards by showing all his high profile fighters. Then what? What happens when he starts showing cards with all the no namers that he has signed? If viewership takes a nosedive after his first few cards, it will be even MORE difficult to secure sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  I pretty much said what Duva just stated when this was first announced. Without sponsors buying airtime during these boxing events, this will fail. In order to attract sponsors you will need to put on dramatic high action fights that draw consistent high viewership. 2 technical boxers jabbing and pawing at eachother for 12 rounds is the worst thing that can happen to PBC as for as trying to secure sponsorship.
                  Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                  Yes but Haymon is blowing his load with his first 2 cards by showing all his high profile fighters. Then what? What happens when he starts showing cards with all the no namers that he has signed? If viewership takes a nosedive after his first few cards, it will be even MORE difficult to secure sponsorship.
                  You already answered yourself Deevel916. you said its the quality of fights put on that will be the determining factor.

Its no different than the BAD concept on HBO. casual fans tune in even though they may not know the fighters but feel they will see an entertaining fight.

Comment

Duva is butthurt

Comment

This is how what haymon is doing is sustainable

He will go back to Showtime next year and have Showtime pay extortionate purses for his fighters . Sho paid Stevenson 2 mil to fight shotsky...and that did terrible ratings.

Comment

Working...
                      X