Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do boxing fans expect and want Controversy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do boxing fans expect and want Controversy?

Chavez-Taylor I. Mayweather-Ortiz. Hopkins-De La Hoya. Duran-Leonard II. Arguello-Pryor. Antonio Margarito vs. anybody.

And all the bed decisions which there are to many to name or even count.

Boxing obviously is full of controversy. Are other sports? Well, sure. But I think only baseball and horse racing comes close.

But the boxing fans keep tuning in and new documentaries get made. So maybe we enjoy that aspect?

Or are fans just turned off?

Controversy like sex sells. Hence, why Pryor and Arguello had a rematch as did Cotto and Margarito and countless others.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
      Controversy like sex sells. Hence, why Pryor and Arguello had a rematch as did Cotto and Margarito and countless others.
      True and it also seems very fake. Not always, but I don't know. I guess it's the nature of the business.

Comment

To some, controversy is a deal breaker into not giving the sport another time of day. While others it raises that morbid curiosity to see if lightning strikes twice at the same place.

I'll be honest, when Margarito got caught in the Mosley fight it not only raised a cloud of suspicion in his previous bouts but raised the curiosity of revenge or repeat in the Cotto fight. And you guessed it, controversy helped sell that fight.

Comment

There was ZERO need for a Bradley vs Pacquiao rematch without the controversial decision in the 1st fight.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
            To some, controversy is a deal breaker into not giving the sport another time of day. While others it raises that morbid curiosity to see if lightning strikes twice at the same place.

I'll be honest, when Margarito got caught in the Mosley fight it not only raised a cloud of suspicion in his previous bouts but raised the curiosity of revenge or repeat in the Cotto fight. And you guessed it, controversy helped sell that fight.
            Oh that is for sure. It may have happened anyway, but was guaranteed once he was caught. I guess at times, it just seems like controversy can be done intentionally (i.e. weren't his hand wraps checked before the fight? Don't they ALWAYS check a fighter's hand wraps?) and it's almost like the powers that be are laughing in the faces of the very fans who support them.

Comment

Originally posted by AgainstTheRopes View Post
              There was ZERO need for a Bradley vs Pacquiao rematch without the controversial decision in the 1st fight.
              That is true. In all honesty, though, I had little interest in seeing a rematch and did not get a lot out of either fight. And let's face it. A lot of rematches are a complete waste of time. How many chances does a guy need to prove himself if he couldn't get it done the first time?

Comment

Working...
              X