Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the boxing purist!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a huge Mayweather and Corrales fan, but I'm still going with Hopkins over Trinidad. They were two amazing performances, but I had a feeling Mayweather was going to out box Corrales (didn't expect him to flat out destroy Chico). I was torn on whether Tito would eventually catch and put the hurt on B-Hop especially after seeing B-Hop in that fight with Echols where they were getting carried away with each other. I thought if Tito pissed B-Hop off, Tito would eventually hurt him bad enough to win a decision. Plus Tito hits people in the dick when he's in trouble and I thought he would do it to Hopkins. Still surprised he didn't pull that trick.

Comment

I'm still debating on this one. I will re-watch both fights tonight then make a post!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FRANKGWJ View Post
        Hopkins weighed in at 157 while Tito was 158 and a half!!!
        When will you guys get it? LOL

Chavez Jr weighed 157 and Sergio weighed 158, are you saying they are the same size?

Weigh in weight means nothing. The actual size of the fighter is how much he walks around at. Cotto is the same height as Pac, doesn't mean they are the same size.

Tito was the smaller man, there's no doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          When will you guys get it? LOL

Chavez Jr weighed 157 and Sergio weighed 158, are you saying they are the same size?

Weigh in weight means nothing. The actual size of the fighter is how much he walks around at. Cotto is the same height as Pac, doesn't mean they are the same size.

Tito was the smaller man, there's no doubt about that.
          All I'm saying is that Hopkins had to train a little hard to drain his 37 year old body to get to 157lb. It's always easier to go up in weight then it is to come down in weight. But at the end of the day Hopkins would have won at welter weight if he could make the weight. His skills was so much better than tito's!!! Styles make fights and Hopkins was way above Trinidad's!!!

Comment

Hopkins and Trinidad are both Legends (all time greats), Corrales is not.

Comment

This isn't even up for debate. Trinidad was a different class to Corrales. What Hopkins did to Tito about a decade ago will go down in boxing history as one of the greatest upsets. Hopkins went from being a very good fighter to becoming an ATG that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
                This isn't even up for debate. Trinidad was a different class to Corrales. What Hopkins did to Tito about a decade ago will go down in boxing history as one of the greatest upsets. Hopkins went from being a very good fighter to becoming an ATG that night.
                I agree 100%

Comment

IMO Hopkins, in the Garden, as the first sporting event to take place in NYC after 9/11 puts that fight on a different level than Floyd's victory, which was also great. If boxing was a bigger sport, or more people liked B-Hop, this would be one of the biggest feel good fight moments for a boxer EVER.

Fight was postponed, training camps were interrupted, nobody really knew if the fight was even going to happen, etc. There were plenty of distractions in that fight, too. On top of that, Tito is a better fighter than Corrales, no disrespect. I understand the weight/style issue, but when fighters of that caliber agree to fight, I don't give a **** about it.

Hopkins' legend took off after that and hasn't looked back since - it was like the beginning of his 2nd career and allowed him to cash in on the years before when he rightly or wrongly felt marginalized by boxing politics and was trying to buck the system.

As a purist, even though I rooted wholeheartedly for Tito, I am glad boxing kinda took center stage that night and that I got to see that type of performance from B-hop.

sidenote: Floyd is/was a prodigy, nothing he does shocks me because he is capable of anything - sometimes I feel like he's underachieved, but that's only because of the expectation his talent brings.
                  Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                    IMO Hopkins, in the Garden, as the first sporting event to take place in NYC after 9/11 puts that fight on a different level than Floyd's victory, which was also great. If boxing was a bigger sport, or more people liked B-Hop, this would be one of the biggest feel good fight moments for a boxer EVER.

Fight was postponed, training camps were interrupted, nobody really knew if the fight was even going to happen, etc. There were plenty of distractions in that fight, too. On top of that, Tito is a better fighter than Corrales, no disrespect. I understand the weight/style issue, but when fighters of that caliber agree to fight, I don't give a **** about it.

Hopkins' legend took off after that and hasn't looked back since - it was like the beginning of his 2nd career and allowed him to cash in on the years before when he rightly or wrongly felt marginalized by boxing politics and was trying to buck the system.

As a purist, even though I rooted wholeheartedly for Tito, I am glad boxing kinda took center stage that night and that I got to see that type of performance from B-hop.

sidenote: Floyd is/was a prodigy, nothing he does shocks me because he is capable of anything - sometimes I feel like he's underachieved, but that's only because of the expectation his talent brings.
                    Damn dude, you said everything I wanted to say and even better!!! Green K coming your way!!!

Comment

Mayweather vs Corrales is my answer to your question...
                      Hopkins cheated...

Comment

Working...
                      X