Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Promotions Joins Boxing Promoters Association

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Promotions Joins Boxing Promoters Association

No single individual or entity should be considered bigger than the entire team.

[Click Here To Read More]

Hard sell.

Comment

It's a huge step especially with an industry giant like Golden Boy. B.P.A's mission is the right step to a ethical standard for the sport of boxing. If all commissions (ABC), Association of Ring Side Physicians and promotion companies participate in this effort, you are now looking a true collective association that can produce unilateral standards and rules. Policies and procedures should be in place for all aspects of the sports, and an implementation of a true "WADA-like" testing process.

Comment

Frankly, I am a bit surprise with the lack of acknowledgement of such an important milestone. "Fans" of the sport should be on board with the efforts as people in the industry strive for an ethical standard. Fans who are so tied up with testing, catchweights, in-house matching, etc...should be eating this up...

Comment

Pardon my cynicism. But, WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO and all other alphabet organizations were creations of guys older than those who are behind the new organization but are of the same ilk. Promoters, managers, etc.

Personally, I would have been more enthusiastic were I one of those who had no idea whatsover about how promoters, managers, etc. do there business.

Adding a big S--- to a collection of S--- can't take out the stink.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            No single individual or entity should be considered bigger than the entire team.

[Click Here To Read More]
            Goldenboy is making the snobby Bob Arum look bad. Everybody knows that Uncle Snob will never join any other Organization than his board of directors, stocks, IRAs and all his other assets.
            The Greedy MOFO hasn't negotiated with another promoter for years.

Comment

I think the BPA was formed, in part, in reaction to certain actions by HBO that seemed to exclude smaller promoters. Namely HBO giving GBP most favored promoters status. Another reason is there are some bills on the hill in Washington looking to form a national commission (which will never happen) that the promoters would have to pick up the cost for.

It is a big deal that GBP is joining - but in all honesty it doesn't mean anything unless the promoters start addressing the root problems of the sport. These are the same old problems that have lead people on the hill in DC to want to get involved for decades. Mostly, corrupt sanctioning bodies and no centralized authority in the sport to give it structure and stamp out corrupt practices. If the BPA was serious - they would form a league (or some sort of organized structure), have only one set of ratings (done by a combination of a writers poll and computerized ratings e.g. boxrec - just like the BCS in college football) and one world champion in each division with a cogent and logicial set of rules for promoters and fighters to follow.

It's really not that difficult. Everyone knows what the right thing to do is to fix the big problems in the sport. The BPA is a step in the right direction but they need to actually do something to help the sport and not just look out for their own interests.

I know there are reasons not to change things. Like the more belts there are, the more opportunites for fighters and promoters to make money. But the belts have become so damn near meaningless these days, what are you really paying all these sanctioning fees for? TV doesn't demand title fights (which was the old justification for having belts). Certainly HBO, the network that matters the most, doesn't. They don't even mention what belt it is most of the time. True, fighters (and their managers) who currently have belts would be loath to give them up and actually have to prove they are the absolute best in their division. But hey, it wasn't that long ago when there was only one recognized champ in each divsion (am I old or are the 1970's not ancient history).

Comment

Why should boxing fans acknowledge or be happy about this?

A legion of promoters looking to come into a union with sanctioning bodies and state and local commissions? That's the axil of evil, a trifecta of corruption and greed.

A look at any promising fighters record and what will be seen are crimes of promoters and commissions pitting undefeated prospects and fighters containing a thorough amateur background facing journeymen void of a winning record coming off of a streak of knock-out losses. These 3 en****** already work in unison to strip boxing of its morality and ethics with gross mismatches, corrupt rankings, and just selfish and greed filled behavior.

No need to praise GBP or the promotional companies already involved in this good ole boys club. Something different is needed and it's not this.

Comment

Nice work from Schaefer in terms of shaping the future of the sport. Excellent "BOO SUCKS!" to Arum with the news that they'd give Top Rank full promotional control on a JMM fight.

Shows character. I really hope GBP can become the boxers promoting boxers company, or even if that could become an industry standard. Would be great to have those ring calls with ex-champs years down the line.

Hopkins and Jones getting to a presser for the Khan-Maidana 154 match up would be good to see. One day. Maybe.

Comment

i hope this means gbp stops bad mouthing other promoters and just stick to promoting their fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X