Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched Bad Words with Jason Bateman.
    Very funny movie.
    Bateman plays a major douche bag out for revenge. Not one of his typical characters but he is very convincing and got me to laugh.

Comment

• I watched Gravity this past weekend and didn't find it to be as great as it was said to be

I give it a it was aight movie

Comment

• Red Box Roundup!

S.pike Lee's Oldboy: F-

****iing deplorable. Never saw the original and love ****e, but.. wow. Awful awful awful. Looked good in the previews too.

Ender's Game: C-

Starts strong, Harrison Ford is really good, but the movie lost steam. Anticlimactic ending. Bleh.

Riddick: C

Generic, but you know what you're getting. A decent day-off watch.

Bullet To The Head: B+

By-the-numbers action flick. Stallone is badass, hot girl, evil bad guys that die. Solid flick, would buy on DVD.

47 Ronin: F---

Likely the worst movie I've ever seen. Run for your life.
        Last edited by paulf; 04-28-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• i recently saw captain america: the winter soldier and i really enjoyed it.

it's definitely a lot better than the third iron man movie and the second thor movie.

8/10

Comment

• Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Red Box Roundup!

47 Ronin: F---

Likely the worst movie I've ever seen. Run for your life.
            As a fan of kung fu movies 47 Ronin has got to be the ****tiest movie related to the genre I've ever seen.

If you guys want to watch a good kung fu movie, I've recently seen Ninja In The Dragons Den, you can find it full english dub on youtube.. awesome fight scenes and great intro.

Comment

• Movies I’ve seen since February…

300: Rise of an Empire (2014) — Sequel taking place concurrently with first film. It was OK, nothing special, obviously made as a connector to a third film. Bonus: Eva Green’s ****.

Cesar Chavez (2014) — Mexican American labor leader fights the power. Better than I thought it would be. Feels like a cable movie though.

Diva (1981) — Cool early ‘80s art flick about a young guy obsessed with an opera singer, gets mixed up in a bootleg music / murder mystery.

Raisin’ Cain (1992) — Brian DePalma thriller starring John Lithgow as a weird family man with multiple personalities. Movie has lots of twists and inside jokes, you’ll know in first 5 minutes whether you’ll like or not.

The Lone Ranger (2013) — “Controversial” western was better than people said it was.

Deep Cover (1992) — Still entertaining b-movie about drug-dealing undercover cop Larry Fishburne.

Red Rock West (1993) — Mistaken identity in a small town with Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper. Modern film noir worth seeing.

Sonatine (1993) — Not your average Japanese mob film by Beat Takeshi. Off beat, thinking man’s movie with a good soundtrack. Not for everybody but recommended if you’re into this sort of thing.

Cop (1988) — Gritty b-movie (the kind you’d see late night on Cinemax growing up) starring James Woods as a L.A. detective with temper problems and unorthodox methods. Quotable ending.

Prince of the City (1981) — Former cop turns government snitch. Well made, almost three hours long. Directed by Sidney Lumet. Recommended.

Italian Connection/ The Boss/ Milan Calibre 9 — Ultra ‘70s, violent Italian mob trilogy very stylishly directed. These films are endorsed by Quentin Tarantino from what I heard. Great soundtracks. Italian Connection was IMO the best one, about a small time pimp framed for stealing heroin.

One False Move (1991) — This is one of those underrated, forgotten crime movies that’s really good. Small time crooks on the run. With Bill “Game Over” Paxton as a backwoods cop and Billy Bob Thornton as an a$$hole hood. Recommended.

Mesrine (Part 1: Killer Instinct; Part 2: Public Enemy #1): Real life French gangster vows that he can escape from any jail. Entertaining two-part flick starring Vincent Cassel. Sorta, kinda like a French Goodfellas in spots.

Source Code (2011) — U.S. soldier (pilot?) has to relive a terrorist attack over and over again. Just OK.

Spring Breakers (2012) — Nicely shot “mainstream” Harmony Korine flick is not the “parody” people say it is. It has its moments, but as an overall film, it’s whatever.

Passion (2012) — Two corporate woman go at it in this Brian DePalma flick that is actually a remake. DePalma always has visually interesting films but this one just fell flat even with its kinky premise.

Post Tenebras Lux (2012) — Strange Mexican film that shifts all over the place and has no real answers at the end. It held my attention all the way through but would not recommend it because you will probably hate it.

Stake Land (2010) — Post apocalypse vampire flick. Not bad.

Point Blank (2010) — High action paced French thriller involving a botched robbery and kidnapping. Worth seeing.

Viva Riva! (2010) — Hustlers in the Republic of Congo face off. Decent flick.

Night of the Comet (1984) — End of the world ‘80s nostalgia I can’t help but liking.

Night of the Creeps (1986) — Light horror with fun special effects.

Deadfall (1993) — Infamous Nicolas Cage performance as a sleazy coked up henchman. Overall, the movie isn’t as bad as critics claimed, it’s actually OK, but does suffer from some bad voice over. It’s also real low budget, but that sort of thing doesn’t bother me.

Deadfall (2012) — Watched this by mistake. Fugitives on the run in the snow. Standard.

Light Sleeper (1992) — Willem Dafoe as a NYC drug dealer thinking about where his life is going. Directed by Paul Schrader. I like this movie.

The Comfort of Strangers (1990) — Dream like tale of vacationing couple in Venice who meet a creepy character played by Christopher Walken. Good flick if you have the patience.

Comment

• Been on a kung-fu/martial arts run lately.

The Raid: Redemption - 9.0

Man, this movie was on some next generation type of martial arts shit. The plot is meh, but that doesn't matter because the chaotic violence and fight scenes are shot and choreographed beautifully. Stunning movie and I can't wait to watch part 2 which I'm hearing has even surpassed it's predecessor.

Ip Man - 9.1

Great story and beautifully filmed. Donnie Yen was masterful as Yip Man. Not your typical martial arts movie because this one has a great story and it's loosely based on a true story (Bruce Lee's trainer). Highly recommend this one. It's on Netflix, go watch it now!

Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior - 6.2

No doubt that the stunts and fight scenes were badass and Tony Jaa is a force to be reckoned with (excited to see him in Fast 7) but the story felt convoluted and the action a bit cheesy at times. Didn't care for the instant replay after every stunt and cool kick. A bit disappointed in this one but still an enjoyable film for the stunts and fights alone.
                Last edited by _original_; 04-29-2014, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• The Five Deadly Venoms - 8.4

Great characters and story, very memorable and it's cool hearing the original samples that Wu Tang (RZA) used for their hip hop classic. Would probably rate higher when I watch it on blu-ray because I was forced to watch this on youtube with quality that seems like it was filmed with a potato. The Toad style!

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - 9.4

Greatest Martial Arts movie I've ever seen! Classic stuff.
                  Last edited by _original_; 04-29-2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• 36th Chamber is an awesome movie.

Five Deadly Venoms is kind of boring for large parts of it. But the ending is classic.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      36th Chamber is an awesome movie.

Five Deadly Venoms is kind of boring for large parts of it. But the ending is classic.

The plot to 'Venoms definitely moves slow, but I think the "mystery" and build up were great. Have you seen The Return of the Deadly Venoms (which isn't really a sequel)?

Comment

Working...
                      X